All reviews rustic cabin redwood trees shared shower cold cereal homemade muffins breakfast included hot water suzanne property grapes
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I hold an astrology retreat at Mountain Home 2x a year and have done so for 6-7 years (who's counting? It's always consistently great). About 50 of us attend and are tended to with TLC, amazing food, big smiles, open hearts and stunning acreage (2 pools as well). We always have a barbecue, even in March, while is cooked inside but still served like a barbecue. All of us feed the cows, goat, cats & other critters who live and are loved there. There are long walks, a tennis court, ping-pong, a piano.

We consider John & Suzanne, the owners, and their excellent, friendly crew, family. I especially appreciate the fact that there are no radios or phones in the rooms, and I wake up every morning to fresh air, fresh coffee and John's DROP-DEAD GOOD scones, etc.

Try the magic out for yourself. Make unforgettable memories. And be sure to look up at the stars-the view of the night sky is staggering-and I don't say that just because I'm an astrologer!

Room Tip: If you want more of a "hotel" feel, stay in the lodge. I love, however, the "away-at-summer-camp" feel of the cabins. So intimate. If you have kids, there are cabins big enough for all of you.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Joyce V
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I arrived in Calistoga on July the 12th and had no place to stay. I had been riding my motorcycle across the US and was tired and dirty. The hotels in Calistoga were either sold out or way too expensive. I was ready to find a little piece of ground to put up my tent and was given the number to the The Mountain Home Ranch. What a revelation! I was put in a small rustic cabin called Harmony. The bed was comfortable and the showers were clean and hot. John and Suzanne were immaculate hosts and were always willing to offer a hand. The property was fantastic, with it's hiking trails and the lake and canoes. I even saw the largest frog that I have ever seen in my life just hop by me at the edge of the lake. The pools were inviting and the breakfast was the best I had on my trip.
The Mountain Home Ranch gets my highest recommendation. It is very laid back and inviting and the proprietors are the best. Being in the finest wine country in the world is also a minor plus. Please pay John and Suzanne a visit and come away better for it.

Room Tip: Relaxing cabins on the property, or elegant rooms in the manor house.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Rick M
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

A nice experience on a charming ranch in a forestry valley. We stayed in the little cute and cosy but simple hut named harmony. The owners were lovely. Great experience, one should though remember that it is a ranch and not a fancy hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Mikaelfanny
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed there for four nights. I am used to rustic living but this was extremely rustic and not clean. I only met one of the owners and he was helpful. The cabins include kitchens. The kitchen in Sunrise only had one small plate and two bowls along with a few utensils. The kitchen in Madrones had more plates but the refrigerator froze all our vegetables and fruits. The bathrooms were dirty and the bed in Sunrise was very old and not comfortable. I am not a picky traveler but this place really tested my patience. Many of the lamps either did not have bulbs or did not reach an electricity outlet. There was absolutely no thought put into details. The furnishings look like they have been purchased at local flee markets. Yuck.

Room Tip: We stayed in Sunrise and also Madrones. The bed in Sunrise had to be at least 10 years old. The bed in Madrones is "newer". The bathroom in both rooms was moldy and not what I would consider clean. The sheets were old and worn and the curtains in Sunrise and also Sunset were torn. I can say that the towels were clean and new.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gina W
mountainsancturay, Owner at Mountain Home Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Negative reviews, while painful, are helpful as well. They allow us to see things we otherwise would miss and allow us to improve, both the facility and staff. The maids should clean the bathrooms daily; when confronted with this review, they said that the couple told them not to service the unit -- I feel that there was a language problem. While the furniture was purchased new, it was purchased by my brother some 20 years ago. When you see something every day, you miss a lot. The review gives Suzanne an excuse to go shopping for furniture! Once again, though, it bothers us that people do not say anything while here -- especially those who are here for four days, as this couple was. Had they said anything, we could have made their stay more enjoyable. We just celebrated our 100 year anniversary. We know the facility is old, but we try to make it better whenever we can. If you come visit us, please tell us if you are dissatisfied with something so that we can improve before you leave.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

This was our second visit to MHR. We were there 7 years ago with our twin boys (4 yrs at the time). This time we brought our close family friends and all bunked in Grandpa's Cabin. The children (ages 7, 9, 11, 11 and 12) were in kid heaven. The open nature and laid back environment was exactly what we all needed. The highlights were feeding the animals, swimming, paddle boats at the lake and even the mediation room. But the key is there are no TV's, telephones, and reception is shady, at best.

When it was time to leave, there were many sad faces and declarations of wanting to move there. A family friendly oasis hidden in our own backyard. The best stay-cation ever! We will be back soon!

Room Tip: Grandma and Grandpa's cabins are conveniently located by the small pool and next to Main Lodge. They are the biggest and have full kitchens. They are older buildings and are pretty rustic, but can sleep up to 8 people. Sunrise and Sunset are smaller, newer and also good locations.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family