All reviewsrustic cabinredwood treesshared showercold cerealhomemade muffinsbreakfast includedhot watersuzannepropertygrapes
Reviewed 9 September 2013

If you want a place that's beautiful in the country and has great homemade healthy food, places to walk, places to meditate and relax among beautiful scenery, quiet but yet full of nature's sounds, swim, hike, fish, boat... you name it and this atmosphere is for you. MHR is an older retreat, inexpensive and rustic but yet full of beauty and managed under loving care. Pets are welcomed too. These places are hard to find these days but yet so much better than a square box hotel room with traffic noise outside your window. We love it and will go back many times again. The buffet breakfast is delicious and made with all the good stuff we should be eating. John and Suzanne will work with you to provide for your dietary needs and have lots of knowledge about foods and cooking. It's great for children too. All the farm animals are a big hit as they allow the kids to feed them carrots from the basket full of them in the dining room. Kids will get lots of opportunity to run, play and swim... enjoying life in the country. If you've got a group, like a family reunion, or a group of friends, or an educational retreat to put on then this place is perfect!!!! We gathered lots of our family there this past weekend and had a very special time together that we'll never forget. (Ages 1 yr. - 93 yrs) There's something for everyone! We actually ran out of time to see some of the other attractions of the area as once you get settled in it's hard to leave to go into town. Still Calistoga, the valley, the wines and attractions are available and not too far away. Sonoma, Russian River and the road to the west are also close by and available to explore. This ranch is right on the boundry of the best wine regions in the world!! We've also met lots of interesting people that stay here from other places in the world. We'll be back.

Room Tip: There are different rooms available according to your needs of comfort. Check out the website or call MHR and discuss what you'd like that best fits your preference. There's very inexpensive rustic that are a bargain with breakfast included. Others have fireplaces with complete bathrooms and kitchens. It's up to you.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kristi H
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I hold an astrology retreat at Mountain Home 2x a year and have done so for 6-7 years (who's counting? It's always consistently great). About 50 of us attend and are tended to with TLC, amazing food, big smiles, open hearts and stunning acreage (2 pools as well). We always have a barbecue, even in March, while is cooked inside but still served like a barbecue. All of us feed the cows, goat, cats & other critters who live and are loved there. There are long walks, a tennis court, ping-pong, a piano.

We consider John & Suzanne, the owners, and their excellent, friendly crew, family. I especially appreciate the fact that there are no radios or phones in the rooms, and I wake up every morning to fresh air, fresh coffee and John's DROP-DEAD GOOD scones, etc.

Try the magic out for yourself. Make unforgettable memories. And be sure to look up at the stars-the view of the night sky is staggering-and I don't say that just because I'm an astrologer!

Room Tip: If you want more of a "hotel" feel, stay in the lodge. I love, however, the "away-at-summer-camp" feel of the cabins. So intimate. If you have kids, there are cabins big enough for all of you.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Joyce V
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I arrived in Calistoga on July the 12th and had no place to stay. I had been riding my motorcycle across the US and was tired and dirty. The hotels in Calistoga were either sold out or way too expensive. I was ready to find a little piece of ground to put up my tent and was given the number to the The Mountain Home Ranch. What a revelation! I was put in a small rustic cabin called Harmony. The bed was comfortable and the showers were clean and hot. John and Suzanne were immaculate hosts and were always willing to offer a hand. The property was fantastic, with it's hiking trails and the lake and canoes. I even saw the largest frog that I have ever seen in my life just hop by me at the edge of the lake. The pools were inviting and the breakfast was the best I had on my trip.
The Mountain Home Ranch gets my highest recommendation. It is very laid back and inviting and the proprietors are the best. Being in the finest wine country in the world is also a minor plus. Please pay John and Suzanne a visit and come away better for it.

Room Tip: Relaxing cabins on the property, or elegant rooms in the manor house.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Rick M
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

A nice experience on a charming ranch in a forestry valley. We stayed in the little cute and cosy but simple hut named harmony. The owners were lovely. Great experience, one should though remember that it is a ranch and not a fancy hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Mikaelfanny
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed there for four nights. I am used to rustic living but this was extremely rustic and not clean. I only met one of the owners and he was helpful. The cabins include kitchens. The kitchen in Sunrise only had one small plate and two bowls along with a few utensils. The kitchen in Madrones had more plates but the refrigerator froze all our vegetables and fruits. The bathrooms were dirty and the bed in Sunrise was very old and not comfortable. I am not a picky traveler but this place really tested my patience. Many of the lamps either did not have bulbs or did not reach an electricity outlet. There was absolutely no thought put into details. The furnishings look like they have been purchased at local flee markets. Yuck.

Room Tip: We stayed in Sunrise and also Madrones. The bed in Sunrise had to be at least 10 years old. The bed in Madrones is "newer". The bathroom in both rooms was moldy and not what I would consider clean. The sheets were old and worn and the curtains in Sunrise and also Sunset were torn. I can say that the towels were clean and new.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gina W
mountainsancturay, Owner at Mountain Home Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Negative reviews, while painful, are helpful as well. They allow us to see things we otherwise would miss and allow us to improve, both the facility and staff. The maids should clean the bathrooms daily; when confronted with this review, they said that the couple told them not to service the unit -- I feel that there was a language problem. While the furniture was purchased new, it was purchased by my brother some 20 years ago. When you see something every day, you miss a lot. The review gives Suzanne an excuse to go shopping for furniture! Once again, though, it bothers us that people do not say anything while here -- especially those who are here for four days, as this couple was. Had they said anything, we could have made their stay more enjoyable. We just celebrated our 100 year anniversary. We know the facility is old, but we try to make it better whenever we can. If you come visit us, please tell us if you are dissatisfied with something so that we can improve before you leave.