All reviewsrustic cabinredwood treesshared showercold cerealhomemade muffinsbreakfast includedhot watersuzannepropertygrapes
Reviewed 13 September 2013

My family has been coming up to Mountain Home Ranch since I was a child as my Oma and Opa enjoyed the German food and ambiance. In the 1940’s and 1950’s German was a language you heard as much as English. I have many memories of horse riding, swimming in Lake Orth and sharing big family dinners in the dining room. Many great evenings were spent laughing and singing in the common rooms. Mountain Home Ranch still has the feel of a that sort of family resort.
I recently returned with my grown children and a granddaughter: Five adults and a baby in “Grandpa’s House”. It was very roomy with two Kings and a pull out, and a generous kitchen. We had the best location for enjoying the pool with a deck for relaxing outside, and we were close enough to walk to the corrals – a favorite place for our two year old to enjoy the chickens, sheep, goats, and cows. John and Suzanne feed you authentic breakfasts made from scratch in a buffet style. Lots to choose from and make everyone happy. You can't beat the serve yourself coffee no matter how early your toddler gets you up and John's scones and cinnamon rolls are out of this world.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Valerie H
mountainsancturay, Owner at Mountain Home Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Thank you for the lovely recommendation. As the third generation operators, we love seeing third and fourth generation guests! There is a wonderful feeling of continuity and connection to the land and each other. We hope that your great grandchildren come visit the Ranch.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

If you want a place that's beautiful in the country and has great homemade healthy food, places to walk, places to meditate and relax among beautiful scenery, quiet but yet full of nature's sounds, swim, hike, fish, boat... you name it and this atmosphere is for you. MHR is an older retreat, inexpensive and rustic but yet full of beauty and managed under loving care. Pets are welcomed too. These places are hard to find these days but yet so much better than a square box hotel room with traffic noise outside your window. We love it and will go back many times again. The buffet breakfast is delicious and made with all the good stuff we should be eating. John and Suzanne will work with you to provide for your dietary needs and have lots of knowledge about foods and cooking. It's great for children too. All the farm animals are a big hit as they allow the kids to feed them carrots from the basket full of them in the dining room. Kids will get lots of opportunity to run, play and swim... enjoying life in the country. If you've got a group, like a family reunion, or a group of friends, or an educational retreat to put on then this place is perfect!!!! We gathered lots of our family there this past weekend and had a very special time together that we'll never forget. (Ages 1 yr. - 93 yrs) There's something for everyone! We actually ran out of time to see some of the other attractions of the area as once you get settled in it's hard to leave to go into town. Still Calistoga, the valley, the wines and attractions are available and not too far away. Sonoma, Russian River and the road to the west are also close by and available to explore. This ranch is right on the boundry of the best wine regions in the world!! We've also met lots of interesting people that stay here from other places in the world. We'll be back.

Room Tip: There are different rooms available according to your needs of comfort. Check out the website or call MHR and discuss what you'd like that best fits your preference. There's very inexpensive rustic that are a bargain with breakfast included. Others have fireplaces with complete bathrooms and kitchens. It's up to you.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kristi H
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I hold an astrology retreat at Mountain Home 2x a year and have done so for 6-7 years (who's counting? It's always consistently great). About 50 of us attend and are tended to with TLC, amazing food, big smiles, open hearts and stunning acreage (2 pools as well). We always have a barbecue, even in March, while is cooked inside but still served like a barbecue. All of us feed the cows, goat, cats & other critters who live and are loved there. There are long walks, a tennis court, ping-pong, a piano.

We consider John & Suzanne, the owners, and their excellent, friendly crew, family. I especially appreciate the fact that there are no radios or phones in the rooms, and I wake up every morning to fresh air, fresh coffee and John's DROP-DEAD GOOD scones, etc.

Try the magic out for yourself. Make unforgettable memories. And be sure to look up at the stars-the view of the night sky is staggering-and I don't say that just because I'm an astrologer!

Room Tip: If you want more of a "hotel" feel, stay in the lodge. I love, however, the "away-at-summer-camp" feel of the cabins. So intimate. If you have kids, there are cabins big enough for all of you.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Joyce V
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I arrived in Calistoga on July the 12th and had no place to stay. I had been riding my motorcycle across the US and was tired and dirty. The hotels in Calistoga were either sold out or way too expensive. I was ready to find a little piece of ground to put up my tent and was given the number to the The Mountain Home Ranch. What a revelation! I was put in a small rustic cabin called Harmony. The bed was comfortable and the showers were clean and hot. John and Suzanne were immaculate hosts and were always willing to offer a hand. The property was fantastic, with it's hiking trails and the lake and canoes. I even saw the largest frog that I have ever seen in my life just hop by me at the edge of the lake. The pools were inviting and the breakfast was the best I had on my trip.
The Mountain Home Ranch gets my highest recommendation. It is very laid back and inviting and the proprietors are the best. Being in the finest wine country in the world is also a minor plus. Please pay John and Suzanne a visit and come away better for it.

Room Tip: Relaxing cabins on the property, or elegant rooms in the manor house.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Rick M
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

A nice experience on a charming ranch in a forestry valley. We stayed in the little cute and cosy but simple hut named harmony. The owners were lovely. Great experience, one should though remember that it is a ranch and not a fancy hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013