“couples mud bath absolutely great!”

Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Calgary
“couples mud bath absolutely great!”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My husband and I booked a couples mudbath very last minute(less than an hour) on a Thursday evening. The staff were helpful and friendly, the experience was one of the most fun things I have done in my life. But hey, this is a mudbath people. Yes, it smells funny but it is so relaxing and rejuvenating. We were liked after very attentively by Michelle and thoroughly enjoyed it. We did not stay here but the grounds and hotel look very nice too.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I was so excited to do the mud baths while we were staying in Sonoma and wow- was it a big let down!! I hate to say it because the staff were all very nice, but I can't believe it is legal to even call it a spa. It is not a spa, they didn't even have nice smelling scents or soft music playing or a relaxing environment. The mud bath is so strange, smells horrible, is really hot and I mean I'm sure they don't change the mud out in between people?! The entire time we heard staff laughing and talking outside esp. during our thermal wrap (you lay on a table and they put a warm blanket on you-he legit pulls out a bottle of perfume and sprays it and leaves the room)? We held out hope that the massage would be fantastic, but no it was bizarre my husband's lady made a weird male (private part) joke and both of our massages actually hurt. You can shower off after in a tiny bathroom- no locker room with nice products or anything. Again the staff was very nice, but if you have limited time in California like we did I would not recommend. Sorry!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank AllisonR346
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband planned a birthday weekend for me with the mud bath and 1 hour massage and a two night stay at the resort. This was our first mud bath and it is an interesting experience. Not sure I would do it again, but am happy to have tried it. The mud does have a bit of an odor and I honestly felt like I was sitting in manure based on the texture. I do have to say though, my skin felt wonderful afterwards. Our mud bath attendant was very friendly and helpful, as were all of the staff we encountered during our stay. Our massages were awesome...best I have ever had. The only issue there was that upon completing the mud bath and sitting in a darkened room for 20 minutes, we were taken outside into the blinding sun and had to walk upstairs to get to the massage rooms...kind of killed the relaxation we were feeling.

The grounds are very well maintained with many amenities. There are very well kept bocce ball courts, a ping pong table, bean bag toss, pool table and bicycles available for use. There is also a mineral water swimming pool with a warm tub (98-100 degrees) and a hot tub (102-104 degrees). The only complaint here is the matting they use around the pool is VERY uncomfortable on bare feet. The grounds have several areas where you can just relax in a comfortable patio seat.

The resort room itself is where this place misses out on a 5-star rating from me. Although the room was clean, it was quite dated. The bathroom and kitchenette cabinetry appears to have 20+ coats of paint on them and many didn't close properly. The countertop in the bathroom and kitchenette were formica and chipping in places. The tiles in the bathroom, which were a lovely combination of pink and grey...so very 80's...needed a deep grout cleaning. I'm not usually overly critical of rooms, but for what was paid, my expectations were higher.

1 Thank saxonct
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We love this place and have been coming for over 3 years in a row. It is our Valentine's weekend retreat. Very reasonably priced, the rooms are clean, the massages are great. And the mudbaths are a godsend, never had a problem with the attendants or the state of the treatment rooms. Just enough time to relax. Be sure to tell them that you do not want mint extra your blanket wrap afterwards though - too cooling!

Room Tip: The jacuzzi room is fun!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank honeypotpie
San Lorenzo
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This is a great spa. They offer a mud bath, hot tub, thermal wrap & massage combination that is fantastic. Staying overnight after all of that is also a must. Not cheap but well worth it. I have been a numbers of times & will return.

Room Tip: Ground floor near the pool.
1 Thank Davidsc47
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My husband planned this much needed trip after I had been away for several months taking care of my mother who was dying of cancer. Needless to say, I really needed some down time and pampering and this place did the trick. The staff was very nice and we always felt as though we were welcomed and that we were an honored guest. We experienced the Ultimate package which included the Mud treatment, mineral spa and a massage. The mud bath was strange but very relaxing. Our attendant Michelle was very helpful and my masseuse Eddie was magnificent. My husband extremely enjoyed his as well. We had not left the building when my husband said that we have to do this again. And we shall.

2 Thank Ginger S
Calistoga, California
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Golden Haven was a delight of a resort to stay in despite the rain over the weekend. It was beautiful from the luxurious & hot mud bath with our delightful spa attendant Quinn--terrific guy--to the indoor warm pool. We hardly noticed the rain and we had such a blast!

Don't forgot about the cold lemon water in the lobby and the bocchi ball court and bikes that can be checked out for a little ride over to St. Helena or Napa for the adventurous types.

Enjoy Calistoga's peacefulness--the town is quaint but safe and totally local which we loved. A vegan restaurant is needed, however.

Room Tip: We stayed in the cheapest room, which was perfect for a mini weekend getaway.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple