“A very nice place to have a spa and relax in the wine area”

Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The hotel is more a Motel but with very good service and the jacuzzi rooms are excellent. The spa (we had massages and a facial) is also recommendable. The pool area is very nice and relaxing. A lot of good restaurants are in walking distance.

Room Tip: Take a room with your own jacuzzi (#22 is the best!) it is worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa

Reviewed 26 June 2014

total cost for the standard one bedroom was a little over $180.00. Clean room upstairs, clean shower. I attended a bachelorette luncheon one Saturday morning this June at the Castello Di Amorosa and I went online to find an inexpensive overnight stay for that Friday. So happens that at that time this was the cheapest. My only issue was the TV remote control was so hard to control…I know ..I know that's petty…but if you are paying that much money..you expect a better way of getting the news and shows that you want to watch. Also no phone in the room to call the front desk to tell them my issue. But my husband was still nice enough to leave a small tip on the bed for the maid for our clean room.. No we did not do the Spa or Mud Bath.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2014

If your looking for a mini vacation then look no further for this is it! Very friendly staff and a wonderful spa treatment. We took it one step further and got a room with a spa and it was very worth the extra cost. Our couples mud bath was interesting to say the least (don't get too deep into the mud or you will burn your butt and other fleshy parts) followed by a hot tub and cooling wrap. Then off to our massages. The guys that gave them had magic hands that were strong yet gentle. We played a round of Bocce a and in the am played some ping pong while waiting for the office to open so we could check out.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JustHangen
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This is the third time I've tried to tell the truth about this filthy "spa" on Trip Advisor. The first two have been removed, so I will keep trying to warn others away. The "spa" area is extremely unprofessional and unsanitary. The cold water used to soak the washcloths for your forehead is a cooler full of ice that isn't changed between couples. The mud facial is a cup with a paint brush that is also not changed between couples. I'm sure that this will be removed as well, but maybe some one will read this and go somewhere else instead.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Mike B
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We had a great mud bath experience at Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa. My friend and I booked a couples mud bath very last minute on the drive to Calistoga. They were able to get us right in and gave us a killer deal ($59 each) on a mud bath experience which included the mud bath, a jacuzzi and blanket wrap. The entire experience was a little over an hour. We did not have any other treatments at the spa but it was by no means a luxury spa like I have experienced at some resorts. On the drive there I was a little worried because we went through a residential area and turned into the driveway of what seemed like an average motel. The staff was excellent and it was a great experience.

First before going in take off all jewelry and go to the bathroom! If you have long hair, tie it up because they only provide shower caps and regular rubber bands, not coated bands which don't get stuck in your hair. When we arrived we were checked into the spa and escorted to the mud room where we disrobed, put our clothes and other items into a little hanging bag and stood naked next to the tubs that looked like they were full of hot, smelly goop. My friend and I were laughing hysterically. Our attendant told us how to get in: you sit on the side of the tub, reach over to the bar on the other side and kind of slide onto the mud. You can't step into it because it is too hot on the bottom. We were then supposed to scoop the mud on top of us. We giggled as we did this and then our attendant came back and really piled it on. The mud is a lot hotter at our feet so those had to peek out from time to time to cool off. After about 15 minutes we got out, scraped off as much mud as possible then padded over to a really hot shower to wash off. In the couples bath you can draw the curtain between the showers or pull it back. Make sure the shower temperature is adjustable. One of the showers was just too hot to use which makes washing mud out of certain cracks and crevices uncomfortable. Because the water comes from the springs at 150 degrees they cool it in a tank and mix it with cold. Kind of the opposite of what we are used to so it can take a long time for the shower water to cool down.

After the shower we sat in the jacuzzi and drank lots of ice water, then dried off, put on our robes and went to the cooling down room for the blanket wrap. Here they have more ice water to drink and you lay in a room listening to soothing music where you can nap, or just relax under a thin blanket, then they come back in an wrap other blankets around you. When it is over you get dressed and either head out to the facility where you can swim or play bocce ball. We were done for the day and just left. The spa does offer free bikes to their overnight guests who might want to just ride around Calistoga.

Room Tip: If booking a couples bath ask for the larger jacuzzi. The couples bath was fun for friends as long a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Zephyr11_11
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My husband and I booked a couples mudbath very last minute(less than an hour) on a Thursday evening. The staff were helpful and friendly, the experience was one of the most fun things I have done in my life. But hey, this is a mudbath people. Yes, it smells funny but it is so relaxing and rejuvenating. We were liked after very attentively by Michelle and thoroughly enjoyed it. We did not stay here but the grounds and hotel look very nice too.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I was so excited to do the mud baths while we were staying in Sonoma and wow- was it a big let down!! I hate to say it because the staff were all very nice, but I can't believe it is legal to even call it a spa. It is not a spa, they didn't even have nice smelling scents or soft music playing or a relaxing environment. The mud bath is so strange, smells horrible, is really hot and I mean I'm sure they don't change the mud out in between people?! The entire time we heard staff laughing and talking outside esp. during our thermal wrap (you lay on a table and they put a warm blanket on you-he legit pulls out a bottle of perfume and sprays it and leaves the room)? We held out hope that the massage would be fantastic, but no it was bizarre my husband's lady made a weird male (private part) joke and both of our massages actually hurt. You can shower off after in a tiny bathroom- no locker room with nice products or anything. Again the staff was very nice, but if you have limited time in California like we did I would not recommend. Sorry!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple