“We keep coming back for more.”
Review of Chelsea Garden Inn

Chelsea Garden Inn
Ranked #10 of 27 Calistoga B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“We keep coming back for more.”
Reviewed 15 December 2005

This was our 5th visit to Chelsea Garden and we have tried several other places in the surrounding area. What keeps us coming back is the uniqueness of the layout of the property which has several seperate residences. Each one has its own character and all are nicely appointed and homey. You can't beat the full morning breakfast which is prepared with fresh ingrediants and outstanding recipes. The proprietor is friendly and full of information to help you find the best restaurants, spas and wineries. We will definitely be back. Mary and Allan

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Reviewed 7 December 2005

A peaceful retreat and a perfect vacation spot in the Napa Valley, The Chelsea Garden Inn is quite simply, wonderful. Our family rented the whole Inn for our daughter's wedding which took place at a nearby resort. In addition to the beautifully appointed rooms, lovingly decorated with delightful collector items, Gary Venturi was the perfect host. His warmth, friendly attention, and genuine welcome made it so nice to come "home." Soft classical music, gourmet breakfasts and a glowing fireplace just round out the ambiance. The location of the Inn is perfect, a nice, quiet block from downtown in a residential area. Landscaping and cottages add to the feeling of quiet seclusion.

We will go back, many times!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Jose, California
Reviewed 21 November 2005

The Chelsea Garden Inn is a great stopoff in Calistoga. Although not as plush as some B&Bs in the area, it makes up for that with the fantastic service and friendly welcome from the manager, Gary. He is knowledgeable about the local area and does a wonderful job with breakfasts!

The main room of the inn itself is great - very warm and well finished; however, our room - Palm - could use some TLC. The water pressure in the shower was variable and the bed was definitely not a "queen" as stated. Finally, the chair and sofa were really uncomfortable and needed to be MacGyvered with pillows!

That said, the inn is in a great, quiet position, right by downtown (but avoiding the traffic on main street) and you can walk to any of the local spas and restaurant easily.

6 Thank LimeyHoya
Fairfield, CA
Reviewed 8 November 2005

We stayed a long weekend in the Palisades Suite. I thought my mom would get a kick out of the decor, very evocative.
It was convenient being attached to the main room, but maybe no private enough for a couple.
In all, we enjoyed our stay. It was quiet and
restful. The other guests were fun to talk to, everyone very friendly-nice couples.
The breakfasts were great. The wine and hors d'oeuvres were tasty. The wine was not anything really special, but not bad.
There were a few things I was not thrilled about.
When we checked in there was a big cobweb with a little black spider above the daybed which I took down. The carpet was grubby looking in the rooms and on the stairs. It is light colored and could use a shampoo.
Our rooms were straightened for us, but not vacuummed
while we stayed there-and there was a vacuum in the closet upstairs so would not have been too hard.
In this room, there was a problem with the hot water while the inn-keeper's helper was working in the kitchen. It is like staying at someones house, that way. I am only mentioning this, as it was a bit pricier to stay at a B&B.
I was there to be with my mother for an early 75th birthday celebration, and my adult daughter came up for the first two days. We had a wonderful time in the Valley, the fall colors and views gorgeous.
The inn is in a good quiet location, the St is not that pretty, behind Cala Foods and across the Street from a trailer park on Fairway, but it was peaceful.
I felt that was more important.
I would recommend the Inn. It is a great departure from staying at a motel or hotel, kind of quirky and fun. The lady taking care of the inn for Gary, the regular keeper was very nice and helpful.
My mom and my daughter had a good time, and were tickled by the the ambience, always something interesting to look at!
I also found a guestbook in our Suite, and loved reading it. There was an entry by a lady that was
there over 9-11 and had to extend her stay.
Lots of honeymooners, and reunions.
I was lucky we could all get together before the holidays and take a break from our busy lives, and this was a great place to do just that.
Would like to come back with husband, but he likes the TV by the big bed!! :)

12 Thank HappyGrandma
petersburg, va
Reviewed 2 November 2005

After much research, and not being able to find room closer to Napa itself, we had worked our way (on line) up the valley to Calistoga. I checked lots of things including if the pool was heated, was there an a/c, etc. It was important that I be able to exercise in the pool in the mornings. When we arrived it was a bit late, but we had called to let them know it was taking longer than expected to drive from Yosimite. The person who said she was 'babysitting' the inn was really nice. After being led upstairs to our room, we both noticed that it was quite stuffy. We were told we could open the windows. Problem was that because of the odd angles of the room, there was no air coming in. No problem, since I had made sure we had a/c. Only problem was that it wouldn't come on even after my husband put the hair dryer on it! So, we had to troop back downstairs and bother the nice lady, who came out and tried to take care of it for us. Seems like we had a thermostat in the room, but it was actually controlled from downstairs, and you had to have a key to operate it. We only learned this after we trooped downstairs again to bother the nice lady. At this time, another woman from sonewhere else in the house was heard to say that it was 'good enough'. Don't tell a 50 year old woman that she can't can't have a/c!! Since it was late, and we were too tired to look elsewhere, we decided to tough it out until morning. Well, the bed was a nightmare! You had to hold onto the sides to keep from falling to the center, and all the pillows together didn't add up to one. The final straw came when my husband got up in the middle of the night, and the toilet backed up. He had to get up early, go downstairs, find the nice lady who had to search for a plunger, and fix it himself! There was no offer of assistance. All this while I was waiting to PEE!
The shower was nice, but at that point we were so over this place. There was so much crap in the room, it gave me the creeps. There was no place to put any of our stuff because every surface was filled with their stuff. Since the bathroom had no place to put your toiletries, I had to unload a ton of crap off a little metal shelf in the hall so I could put a few of our things, and walk back and forth.
Breakfast was good, but not worth the rest. Before breakfast I got dressed, went downstairs to exercise in the freezing pool - not heated. We talked to several folks in town, and none could believe that there was a non heated pool in town. They probably just didn't want to turn it on.
We had originally thought to stay at the River Terrace Inn in Napa, and called them.
Great hotel!!! Wonderful breakfast!!! Super nice people and service! Wish we had gone there first, and not wasted out time at the Chelsea. We travel at least twice a year from coast to coast in the US, including Hawaii, as well as numerous trips to Europe, but will not be staying at any more B & B.s I was so frustrated because there were other choices but chose this one because of the heated pool and a/c.

• Stayed May 2005
10 Thank maggymolly
boston
Reviewed 22 September 2005

Gary is the perfect host. He works hard to please everyone, and does. He gets an A+ for everything, including tips on vineyards and booking private tastings. He's always available and very, very helpful.

The wine and cheese in the evening is terrific. His breakfast is yummy. The grounds are well kept and everything is freshly painted, clean and neat.

So, why average? The neighborhood is a little off-setting. Across from a trailer park and a large industrial building, things just don't match the Inn setting. On the positive side, the Inn is just steps to down town, thus you don't need to drive for dinner or shopping. The neighborhood is surely safe and quiet. Gary keeps his lawn neat and the sidewalks clean, but the surrounding area is less so. Not trash dirty, just unkept.

The pool is a great place to relax. It is not heated, so be ready for a cool ... cold ... splash. I do think a simple solar cover would work well to warm things up and keep some warmth in during the cool nights.

We stayed in the cottege. It's nice enough, but the furniture is a bit tired and just a mix of stuff. It lacks that special feel for a B and B. All was clean and serviced. Everything worked. The rugs and walls looked fresh. I do remember getting into bed and thinking, hmmm, the sheets are a low thread count. The bed was clean and comfortable, but again, lacked a special touch. I think sheet upgrades would be helpful. Again, not bad, but just average.

Food and service gets and Excellent or above.

• Stayed September 2005
6 Thank doug'n'boston
Reviewed 3 September 2005

My husband and I and another couple stayed at Chelsea Garden Inn for the first time for 4 days. From the time of our arrival until we checked out we were made to feel so comfortable and relaxed. We felt like we were at home. The Inn has a very good feel.
We have been to Napa Valley many times before but our first time to stay in Calistoga. The Innkeeper, Gary, knew so much about wineries and restaurants that we never even have tried previously. The wine and cheese hour was great, and his morning breakfasts were mouthwatering and filling. We couldn't wait to wake up to see what he had fixed for the next mornings breakfast.
The Inn was only 2 blocks from downtown Calistoga and made it very easy for us to just walk and enjoy our evenings downtown for dinner and some shopping.
I highly reccommend the Inn. We will definitely be returning in the furture.

• Stayed August 2005