“Relaxing getaway.”

Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed 10 January 2014

My husband and I reserved the room near the pool with the kitchen unit. The rooms and beds are very comfortable. We have been coming for years and like the ambiance at Roman Spa. The only thing we were disappointed with was the temperature of the pools, and that was the main reason we go. They were definitely not as hot as in past years. Several of the guests we spoke to felt the same. I would give it five stars if they would fix that.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you for your comments. I will take your concerns to our maintenance department related to the pool temperature. We maintain the indoor pool at 100 degrees and the outdoor whirlpool at 103 degrees. The large outdoor pool is the only pool that fluctuates in temperature. Typically, we run that pool at 96-98 degrees in the winter and 92-94 degrees in the summer. Depending upon how warm the day will get, we have to adjust the morning temperature so it won't get overheated by the afternoon. I'm not sure what temperatures you experienced in the large pool during your visit but we strive to maintain the same temperatures as we have for over 30 years and hope your next visit is more satisfactory related to pool temperatures.

There are newer reviews for Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Mud bath was fun. My husband and I did it together. The bath attendant checks on you and brings you water and cold cloth for forehead, but gives you privacy to get in the tub on your own. They also let you get out of the mud bath and into the mineral bath on your own. I liked this better than having people in the room while I'm getting in and out of tubs.

Massages were great. Also, you can use the mineral pools for an hour before and after your treatments. We met some regulars there who told us that Roman Hot Springs has some great deals if you get them at the right time. We did the "Friday Special", which was mud and mineral baths for two, and 50 minute massages for two, for $225 (plus tip).

The waiting area is almost non-existent. We didn't mind, but if you like the fancy waiting areas with snacks, etc. It's not here. It's not a fancy place, but does the same quality services as other places in the area for much less money.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caley H

Thank you for your wonderful comments. Indeed, a mud bath experience is "fun." Our staff is very attentive to each guest which then translates into an amazing experience.
We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

The good aspects were the beds were very comfortable and the location was perfect for walking to food/drink and shopping in downtown Calistoga. The Spa itself was also only OK. The mud bath, I would recommend as they add peat moss to "fluff" up the mud which I understand it much better than the "sticky" kind you find elsewhere in the area.
The not-so-good was the shape of the pools and what you get for your money. We came to Calistoga to soak in the mineral baths and went with websites to guide our choosing the Roman. The "hottest" pool wasn't that hot and the jets did not work well. There were loud guests (until 2 am) next door to us one night (one night was fairly quiet) but the management did not monitor the noise level and ask the guests to be quiet. For the money there should have been at least a continental breakfast and decent coffee. There wasn't. We did a little comparison shopping while we were there and
I would not stay at the Roman again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

I appreciate your comments and I am sorry that our property did not meet your expectations. I am rather surprised by your comments about our pools, all 3 of our pools were completely renovated in the past month and the "hottest" pool (the outdoor whirlpool) was completely re-piped to reduce noise and works extremely well. The temperature of that pool is not permitted by the health dept to be above 103 degrees, so if you felt that wasn't "hot enough," there is nothing we can do to change that and I apologize if you prefer a higher temperature.

Regarding the issue with loud guests, I know there were a few nights during the holiday season that required a lot of monitoring from our after hours caretakers and they did speak with guests during each occurence. Once again, I apologize if you did not receive the satisfaction you desired.

I'm sorry to hear would not stay with us in the future but do hope you will find a different Calistoga property that will meet your needs and desires.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

This was a fun place to stay...it's a little but motel-like but the rooms are clean. I liked they they had a fridge and a little kitchen area so you could keep your own wine and snacks. It's really close to town...just two or three blocks. The best part of this place, of course, are the mineral pools. They even stock your room with a few plastic wine glasses so you can bring your glass of wine to the pool so you can drink and soak at the same time. Would stay here again definitely.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed having the convenience of the kitchen and the stocked kitchen items. The go-vino glasses for the pool are a relatively new addition and one that guests really enjoy over your typical plastic cups.
The wonderful mineral pools are of course the highlight for each of our guests and I'm glad you enjoyed soaking. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

Roman Spa is a very pleasant small hotel in Calistoga. The rooms are comfortable and well maintained. You can relax floating in the hot mineral pool or sitting in the hot tubs. The hotel is centrally located, close to a great variety of restaurants. One of the best choices for a stay in Calistoga.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind comments. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and are honored that you believe we are "one of the best choices in Calistoga."
We do hope to see you again in the near future and look forward to serving you.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I was treated to the most beautiful weekend in Calistoga at The Roman Spa. Even with the pool being renovated the property was wonderful The front desk staff were so helpful with recommendations and suggestions, friendly and warm.

The spa experience was simply incredible; mud bath, geothermal soak and then a couples massage, wow. The spa was clean and so well run. We loved the staff, our bath attendant and massage therapists were fabulous. We really felt pampered.

The room was clean and comfortable although on our next stay we want to stay in the Jacuzzi Suite across from our room, it is gorgeous!!

We will be back. Thanks for a fabulous getaway

Room Tip: If you're up for a treat ask for the remodeled rooms upstairs. The Jacuzzi Suite was stunning.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Thank you for your gracious comments. I'm pleased that your gift of a room and spa weekend was so well received and thoroughly enjoyed. When you return next time you will also have the added pleasure of soaking in our outdoor geothermal pools under the stars which is always such a wonderful end to the day. Indeed, the Jacuzzi Suite is the ultimate experience, we have two of these rooms for those looking for a private 2 person geothermal adventure.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We spent a mid-week night at the Roman Spa Resort in Calistoga using the Manager's Special, which was a king-size non-smoking room, plus two massages, and two mud baths/mineral baths for $299.00. From the outside the Roman Spa doesn't look like much; my first thought was that it was built in the 1970's, however, that's the look of many of the lodging places in Calistoga as the town still retains a bit of funkiness.

Our room was fantastic. Quite large with a heavenly king-size bed, wonderful pillows, large HD tv with more cable stations than I've ever seen. The room was impeccably clean.

The outside pool and spa were closed for renovation, which we knew about in advance. Despite the process of taking a pool down to it's bare bones being quite dusty, our room was located out of sight of the renovation and we weren't impacted by it in the least. The indoor spa pool and his/her dry saunas were working and very enjoyable. The indoor spa is heated to a perfect 100 degrees and is large enough to do laps in, but that kind of defeats the point of mineral water relaxation, in my opinion.

The included mud bath was a first for both my wife and I. It was incredible. As this was our first, I don't know the typical ingredients in a mud bath, but this one consisted of peat, volcanic ash, and mineral water. Sort of like laying in 103 degree quicksand I suppose but our bodies were suspended and we never sunk to the bottom of the tub. Loved it. During the treatment an assistant came in several times to place cold towels over our foreheads and to provide us with sips of ice cold water. Very nicely done. After 20 mins or so in the mud bath we showered off and then relaxed in a jetted mineral bath, which was also quite nice.

This was followed by a 60 min massage for each of us. My wife is a massage regular and proclaimed this one to be among the best she's received. I'm a noob but I was impressed that the masseur took the time to ask me if I had any muscle or soreness issues he should address. How good was is? Well, he had to wake me when it was done. Pure bliss.

One of the highlights of staying at the Roman Spa is that downtown Calistoga, with all it's shops and restaurants, is located 1/2 a block away. Great downtown to poke around in without having to drive. We ate dinner at Checkers Restaurant (yummy, and good value), and had breakfast at the Cafe Sarafornia (food was just okay and a little pricey for what you get- won't be back).

This trip was an anniversary outing and we liked it so much we've decided to make an annual pilgrimage to the Roman Spa Resort.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Thank you for your very kind and gracious review. It is always a pleasure to know that not only did we meet but exceeded your expectations on many levels. We truly strive to make each guest and each visit memorable. When you return next year for your anniversary you will be able to enjoy our newly renovated outdoor geothermal pools and surrounding pool area, which will be another added bonus. It's really quite delightful soaking under the stars and having the mist rise up around you.
Once again, happy anniversary and we look forward to serving you next year!