“Very Nice”

Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
North Vancouver, Canada
“Very Nice”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We just returned from a couple of nights at the Roman Spa and we are very happy with our choice. This is an older facility that has and is being kept in very good shape and the gentleman on staff that we spoke with was very accommodating. He was out sweeping the pools and keeping the areas tidy on a regular basis.

As you can read there are 3 pools, well actually 2 pools and a hot tub, all very clean and perfectly comfortable to float in. Yes, I did say float! That is the going thing here for sure. Lounge about floating in the mineral hot spring pools...bring your wine.

We had a very pleasant room, newer one I understand and as others have said, it is a little dark but the shower is great and the bed super comfortable and of course the fridge keeps your wine properly chilled. Very important during the hot Napa weather.

This is simply a classic motel with a great pool and one other thing...one block from the lovely main street of Calistoga. There are plenty of restaurants and watering holes close by. We even picked up our breakfast goodies Saturday morning at the Calistoga market, immediately across the street. This was a fun surprise as we headed for the main street.

People were just fine, polite, professional, and a good cross section of guests so no one is left to feel like they are the only persons of their age group.

Check it out if your looking for a casual environment at a reasonable rate.

Room Tip: We were in a new building on the top floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris_Willy_3
RomanSpaManagement, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your kind comments. It is always a pleasure to serve our neighbors from the far north allowing them the experience of our geothermal waters and our small town hospitality. Indeed, the "water" is a unique and delightful experience, "floating" as you described is so relaxing and heavenly, a reason why so many people use pool noodles.

We hope to see you again when you make your way south sometime in the future. It is always our pleasure to serve.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I have visited Roman Spa with my mother, girls weekends, and couples trips. It is appropriate for all. Having three pools to soak in, BBQ's available in the courtyard, wineries close by, a Spa on the premises, we leave relaxed and rejuvenated. It's a nice place for families and for adults. They provide an ice chest to keep your drinks cold by the pool gate, which is handy on hot days. The grounds are always nicely landscaped. We have run into the same people year after year, so they are doing things right! The rooms are dark, but I do wear earplugs while in downstairs rooms, because the buildings are two story. The remodeled rooms are very comfortable, provide slippers and a robe, and are a step up from the other rooms, which are comfortable but normal hotel rooms. Some rooms have kitchens, which are handy for families, group trips or longer stays. Downtown is one block away, with a variety of restaurants and small shops. There is a bookstore downtown for those who like paper, and wifi onsite for those who want to download something to read. Reading and napping by the pool is popular!

Room Tip: The new rooms are extra comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Windsor, California
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I am a local and I was basically harrassed by the owner of the resort.

Here is my story. My family goes to this resort annualy. We wanted to try somthing different so we tried other resorts in the area, they were all booked up so we went to the Roman Spa. It was OK because this is where we go anyway annually.

This year somthing changed. My family booked there rooms for 3 nights, I booked for 2 since I live locally. A total of 4 rooms. I spent over $500.00 for 2 nights, upon my checking out I told the receptionist I would be hanging out for the rest of the day by the pool celibrating my cousins 50th birthday, she said no problem enjoy!

So I did. Then 4.00pm came around and the owner confronts me by the pool and says you are no longer a guest her, you have to leave or pay another night, very rude, I replied I may stay another night, I don't know yet. 40 min later she sends out a pool boy with a key and a credit card slip saying, her is your key and sign this $189.00 credit card slip in front of everywone in the pool. I then said I will not be staying her another night I will be leaving, he said no you have to take the key and sign the slip. I then got out of the pool, went into the lobby and spoke to the owner. I said I only hung out for 4 hrs in the pool, whay do you treat people this way, she replied those are the rules, if you check out you cannot be in the pool after 1:PM or pay for another night, but in a very smart tone. I said I have been to a lot of hotels and this is the first time I have had this kind of treatment. Usually a hotel, in my experience will gladly take you luggage and let you use the facilities till you aither catch your plane or leave for you other destination. Not at this hotel, there customer service is run like a prison camp, with strict and harsh treament.

End result, my family, and myself and many other friends will never stay at this place again. I am a local Sonoma county resident and I can tell you there are many other places to stay in Calistoga, like Indian Springs, Calistoga Hot Spring Spa, Dr Wilkinsons, Solage. Even if you have no other choice, DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: DO NOT GO!!!!!, Terrible staff and very mediocre dated rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Andy K
RomanSpaManagement, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Even though we don't see eye to eye on the details, I appreciate you allowing me the opportunity to respond. As clearly stated in several areas of our property, use of the pools are for "registered guest's only." We go as far as to reiterate that at check-out letting all of our guests know they are permitted pool use until 1 pm, which is a mantra for our front desk staff. When this was again brought to your attention at 4 pm you responded with "I'm thinking about staying another night." But an hour later you made no attempts to book another night and continued to use the facilities. Could this have been handled differently? Yes, I am sure it could have. But we have our pool policy in place for a reason and believe our guests will respect and abide by it.
The Roman Spa takes pride in the customer service and amenities that we offer our guests. Our staff is continually dedicated to keep this a resort that our guests will enjoy time and time again.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have been returning to this property for about 25 years. That says it all. Good sleep, GREAT POOL, wonderful staff.

Facilities are so nice. The grounds are lovely and super well kept. They even have grills and outdoor eating areas if you want to prepare your own food. There is a huge ice chest outside the pool area for your wine or bubbly to stay chilled while you float around with your (plastic only) glass of something yummy. Pool "noodles" are provided for your floating pleasure!

This is a friendly, welcoming place and I can't wait to return!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tuxedocharlie27
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 12 May 2014

What I appreciate most about the Roman Spa...The rooms are comfortable and CLEAN, grounds are kept meticulously, pool temp is maintained at all times, spa is conveniently located on the same property and there are great places to eat within 3 blocks. Staff is always friendly and helpful. I could not help but plan the next trip while enjoying this one!.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your kind comments. It is with great pride that we provide each guest with clean, comfortable, well maintained pools, rooms and grounds. Our staff is dedicated to friendly, helpful service. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The outdoor area is what we went for! The grounds are beautiful and well kept, along w/ lots of tables, seating, and even a place to BBQ! And oh, the pools--something for everyone-- an outdoor geothermal close to a Jacuzzi amidst the flowers and palms, w/ a sauna, steam, and large jet pool indoors! Comfy, ample lounges and seating.
The staff is quite friendly and helpful!
Our standard room was ample, clean, but a bit small. Would have been nice to have a small microwave on top of the refrige.
We appreciate the downtown location where we could walk to restaurants and stroll the main street.
Twas a trip down Memory Lane for us--except for the increased rates!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Antelope, California
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed here in January 2014 for the fourth year in a row. This spa is absolutely grand. Our favorite part is the outdoor hot tub. Basking in this tub during a cold rainy early morning is so so calming. Follow that with a massage or mud bath is the best! We are looking forward to next January!!

Room Tip: All rooms are about the same.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
RomanSpaManagement, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for your kind comments. Winter is an excellent time to visit in Calistoga as you note. Indeed, there is almost nothing finer than soaking in the warmth of our geothermal pools with the steam rising, a dampness in the air and then enjoying a mud/mineral bath and massage. Pure heaven.
See you in January 2015!