“Out of the beat and Path”

Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
San Francisco, California
“Out of the beat and Path”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Roman Spa has amazing Gardens throughout the property. The rooms and beds are very comfortable!! We loved it so much we made reservations for mid July 2014!! The friendly gardeners made you feel like they appreciated you! It was pleasant not to have to deal with a regular day crowd. Roman Spa does not allow daytime users. That was a huge plus for us!!
We met some amazing friends that we will stay in contact with.

We highly recommend Roman Spa Hot Springs!!

Room Tip: The room above the office has the best morning light. And the best view of the pools! We loved it...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

RomanSpaManagement, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thank you for your thoughtful comments. Indeed, so many of our guests appreciate our "amazing" gardens. They are truly our pride and joy and one of the many features that set us apart from other resorts in the area. We are so fortunate to have such knowledgeable gardening staff who really love their work and are more than willing to impart gardening tips to anyone who asks Also, one of them creates jaw dropping flower arrangements each week for both the hotel and spa. We are so lucky!

We look forward to your return in July, it is truly our pleasure to serve.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My mom and I stayed at the Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort for two nights beginning on May 16th. We enjoyed our stay very much. The staff was friendly and informative upon checkin. Our room was on the 2nd floor and we had a small balcony area outside the front of the room where we sat and enjoyed an afternoon glass of wine from a bottle we had purchased earlier that day. The room was large and had 2 dressers so we each had our own. The bathroom was clean and there was a full size hair dryer. There's also a mini fridge in the room - it's quiet and doesn't sound like a jet engine every time it kicked on (a problem I've had with other hotel fridges). We didn't use the pool or hot tub, but they looked very nice and there are plastic wine glasses in the room that you can use to take your wine to the pool. If you forget your suit, the hotel has some that you can borrow if you want to use the pool. They also have a cooler just outside the pool area where you can keep your wine or other beverages cold, as no glass is allowed in the pool area. There's coffee in the lobby each morning from 8-10am. The hotel is in a great location, just a block from the main drag in Calistoga, withing walking distance of many of the restaurants and shops in town. I've stayed all over Napa Valley and will definitely look to stay here again for my next trip.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Melissa,
Thank you very much for your kind words. You made some comments that can sometimes go unnoticed by some guests and I'm happy to hear that you were observant to our "attention to detail" and customer service "extras" which include the Go Vino glasses with our logo in the rooms for use while staying, the cooler by the gate of the pool, the full size hair dryer and loaner swim suits. We also provide umbrellas in the winter and lots of extras for those renting rooms with kitchens. I do hope you consider using the pools on your next visit, the geothermal water is indeed heavenly.
We look forward to serving you on your next visit.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Great place! Will return. Very clean and landscaped nicely. Having breakfast coupons for Sarafornia Cafe is a real plus. Staff is courteous. Would like to have had bath robes in the room to go to the pool and to lounge in.

Room Tip: Need to have bath robes in the rooms; we stayed on lower floor and unfortunately the guests in the r...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

RomanSpaManagement, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your comments and suggestions about the robes. I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit and our local cafe for breakfast. Calistoga is such a fun town.
We look forward to your return and serving you in the future!
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We just returned from a couple of nights at the Roman Spa and we are very happy with our choice. This is an older facility that has and is being kept in very good shape and the gentleman on staff that we spoke with was very accommodating. He was out sweeping the pools and keeping the areas tidy on a regular basis.

As you can read there are 3 pools, well actually 2 pools and a hot tub, all very clean and perfectly comfortable to float in. Yes, I did say float! That is the going thing here for sure. Lounge about floating in the mineral hot spring pools...bring your wine.

We had a very pleasant room, newer one I understand and as others have said, it is a little dark but the shower is great and the bed super comfortable and of course the fridge keeps your wine properly chilled. Very important during the hot Napa weather.

This is simply a classic motel with a great pool and one other thing...one block from the lovely main street of Calistoga. There are plenty of restaurants and watering holes close by. We even picked up our breakfast goodies Saturday morning at the Calistoga market, immediately across the street. This was a fun surprise as we headed for the main street.

People were just fine, polite, professional, and a good cross section of guests so no one is left to feel like they are the only persons of their age group.

Check it out if your looking for a casual environment at a reasonable rate.

Room Tip: We were in a new building on the top floor.
1 Thank Chris_Willy_3
Thank you for your kind comments. It is always a pleasure to serve our neighbors from the far north allowing them the experience of our geothermal waters and our small town hospitality. Indeed, the "water" is a unique and delightful experience, "floating" as you described is so relaxing and heavenly, a reason why so many people use pool noodles.

We hope to see you again when you make your way south sometime in the future. It is always our pleasure to serve.
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I have visited Roman Spa with my mother, girls weekends, and couples trips. It is appropriate for all. Having three pools to soak in, BBQ's available in the courtyard, wineries close by, a Spa on the premises, we leave relaxed and rejuvenated. It's a nice place for families and for adults. They provide an ice chest to keep your drinks cold by the pool gate, which is handy on hot days. The grounds are always nicely landscaped. We have run into the same people year after year, so they are doing things right! The rooms are dark, but I do wear earplugs while in downstairs rooms, because the buildings are two story. The remodeled rooms are very comfortable, provide slippers and a robe, and are a step up from the other rooms, which are comfortable but normal hotel rooms. Some rooms have kitchens, which are handy for families, group trips or longer stays. Downtown is one block away, with a variety of restaurants and small shops. There is a bookstore downtown for those who like paper, and wifi onsite for those who want to download something to read. Reading and napping by the pool is popular!

Room Tip: The new rooms are extra comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Windsor, California
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I am a local and I was basically harrassed by the owner of the resort.

Here is my story. My family goes to this resort annualy. We wanted to try somthing different so we tried other resorts in the area, they were all booked up so we went to the Roman Spa. It was OK because this is where we go anyway annually.

This year somthing changed. My family booked there rooms for 3 nights, I booked for 2 since I live locally. A total of 4 rooms. I spent over $500.00 for 2 nights, upon my checking out I told the receptionist I would be hanging out for the rest of the day by the pool celibrating my cousins 50th birthday, she said no problem enjoy!

So I did. Then 4.00pm came around and the owner confronts me by the pool and says you are no longer a guest her, you have to leave or pay another night, very rude, I replied I may stay another night, I don't know yet. 40 min later she sends out a pool boy with a key and a credit card slip saying, her is your key and sign this $189.00 credit card slip in front of everywone in the pool. I then said I will not be staying her another night I will be leaving, he said no you have to take the key and sign the slip. I then got out of the pool, went into the lobby and spoke to the owner. I said I only hung out for 4 hrs in the pool, whay do you treat people this way, she replied those are the rules, if you check out you cannot be in the pool after 1:PM or pay for another night, but in a very smart tone. I said I have been to a lot of hotels and this is the first time I have had this kind of treatment. Usually a hotel, in my experience will gladly take you luggage and let you use the facilities till you aither catch your plane or leave for you other destination. Not at this hotel, there customer service is run like a prison camp, with strict and harsh treament.

End result, my family, and myself and many other friends will never stay at this place again. I am a local Sonoma county resident and I can tell you there are many other places to stay in Calistoga, like Indian Springs, Calistoga Hot Spring Spa, Dr Wilkinsons, Solage. Even if you have no other choice, DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: DO NOT GO!!!!!, Terrible staff and very mediocre dated rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Andy K
RomanSpaManagement, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Even though we don't see eye to eye on the details, I appreciate you allowing me the opportunity to respond. As clearly stated in several areas of our property, use of the pools are for "registered guest's only." We go as far as to reiterate that at check-out letting all of our guests know they are permitted pool use until 1 pm, which is a mantra for our front desk staff. When this was again brought to your attention at 4 pm you responded with "I'm thinking about staying another night." But an hour later you made no attempts to book another night and continued to use the facilities. Could this have been handled differently? Yes, I am sure it could have. But we have our pool policy in place for a reason and believe our guests will respect and abide by it.
The Roman Spa takes pride in the customer service and amenities that we offer our guests. Our staff is continually dedicated to keep this a resort that our guests will enjoy time and time again.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have been returning to this property for about 25 years. That says it all. Good sleep, GREAT POOL, wonderful staff.

Facilities are so nice. The grounds are lovely and super well kept. They even have grills and outdoor eating areas if you want to prepare your own food. There is a huge ice chest outside the pool area for your wine or bubbly to stay chilled while you float around with your (plastic only) glass of something yummy. Pool "noodles" are provided for your floating pleasure!

This is a friendly, welcoming place and I can't wait to return!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple