“A perfect getaway!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Calistoga
Meadowlark Country House
Ranked #4 of 27 Calistoga B&B and Inns
Laguna Beach, California
“A perfect getaway!”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We scoured all of Napa Valley looking for a relaxing B&B and ended up finding a wonderful Inn in the heart of Calistoga. The owners, Kurt and Richard, greeted us upon arrival and took their time touring us through their facility. They are both wonderful hosts that know the area extremely well and had lots of great recommendations. We chose to forego the first half day that we stayed because we were enjoying the art of conversation with our hosts. Sometimes it is the people you meet on the road that provide much more entertainment than the area itself. We are honored to be included in a long list of friends that I'm sure they have amassed over the years.
In addition, the rooms were well kept, the breakfast was impeccable, and the clothing optional pool was intriguing at best. It is without a doubt, we will be back and we highly recommend this cozy jewel to anyone interested in staying in the world renowned Napa Valley.
Don and Leyla

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank leylaD75

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Downs, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 21 August 2013

When I first started researching places to stay for our first “adult’s only” trip for my wife and me, Meadowlark Country House was not even on the radar. As I read more into the area, however, more and more positive reviews came from this place. Ultimately, we took a chance and booked our first Bed and Breakfast experience ever at this location.

It was easily the best decision we made!

First, let’s talk about the grounds. There seriously is not one view in the entire resort that does not relax you and bring you closer to nature. One of thing things I really enjoyed was heading out to the grounds early in the morning and shooting some photos of the various plant and wildlife around the resort. It was definitely cooler and humid, with low clouds, most mornings during our stay. While many might think that such a setting would not make for good pictures, I found it to be quite the opposite. In the afternoon, the meadow west of the main house shows quite a bit of green and brown on it; in the morning, however, you’ll get to see the splendor of all these little yellow flowers (I think they were madia elegans) as they open up their blossoms before the sun and heat take effect. The butterfly bushes tower over you in many places around the resort, and they prove irresistible to the numerous hummingbirds chattering overhead. Beautiful at any time of the day, the myriad of roses in the pool area absolutely glistened with dew, as though a fresh rain had just ended.

As you move east towards the second building that houses the Pond, Garden, and Mountain View rooms, the picturesque barn comes into view. The attention to detail here is amazing! There is a sitting area near the pond; take the time to just sit, look, and listen. While we were there, the red hot pokers were in full bloom, as were some lilies in the pond. You will likely see horses trotting around in their pens, and there is a good chance that you will have a visitor near your sitting place as the free-range chickens and guinea fowl see what you are up to.

Next in the list are the rooms. When we arrived, we were in a bit of a hurry (yes, I chuckled at the irony of the often-pictured “If you’re in a hurry, you’re probably in the wrong place” sign). As I walked up to the entrance in the main house, I noticed our name on a folded piece of paper that was taped to the door. Knowing that we only had a couple of minutes to get in the room and change our clothes for a food and wine pairing at Castello di Amorosa, I skimmed through our letter and, knowing from research where the room was, drove to the parking area. As this was our first experience with a bed and breakfast, I will readily admit that I was hesitant about what to expect. We headed up the walkway, opened up the door to the internal hallway, and found the door to our room.

When I opened the door, the best way I could describe my wife’s expression would be to liken it to Dorothy after the twister deposited her house into Munchkinland (when the movie turns to color).

A beautiful four-poster bed was the first thing we saw, followed closely by a vase of fresh-cut flowers on the coffee table. The television was turned on to a Sirius XM channel (I think it was “Escape”), and the music gave me no choice but to start relaxing. The blinds were open, which revealed the pond, the barn, and the mountains in the distance. I simply let out a “wow”, and my wife was able to utter a “very cool” as we stopped to take in our surroundings.
We had arrived at the Mountain View Room.

With permission from Kurt (one of the owners), I was able to look into most of the units during our stay. Of the three units in the second building, I would say that the Mountain View Room has just a bit less privacy than the Pond Room and Garden Room. I only say that because the deck for Mountain View is adjacent to the parking area for the second building. Still, the elevation of the deck makes it such that there isn’t a natural line of sight directly into the room, and we rarely noticed anyone coming or going. The Garden Room and Pond room appear fairly similar in size to the Mountain View Room, though the layouts were all different. The beds for Garden and Pond were lower to the floor than in Mountain View (which added to the vantage point for the views).

The main house serves as the location for Suites 1-5. Suites 2, 3, and 4 are located on the second floor of the main house, while 1 and 5 are on the main floor. Though I was unable to see Suite 2, I would say that it is similar in size to Suite 4. Suite 3 seemed to be the smallest (and it is priced as the smallest), but it still could sleep 2 adults easily without feeling cramped. Suite 4 has a large wraparound porch, and Suite 5 is beautiful, with a nice fireplace in the unit. Suite 1 is another nice, larger unit, and it’s the closest to the breakfast area. While we immediately fell in love with the Mountain View Room, we agreed that we would definitely be happy staying in any of these.

The remaining suite is the Pool House. While I don’t have any pictures, I can say that this is definitely the largest of the units. It is beautifully decorated and is very spacious, with a washer/dryer and a full kitchen. It’s also the closest unit to the next topic to discuss…

…the pool area!

This is the icing on the cake of this place, and I’ll admit that this part of Meadowlark spoiled us. After hitting 1-2 wineries throughout the valley, we’d head back to the resort and make a beeline straight for the pool. I’ve always been high-strung, but, with a book or magazine to read, a bottle of wine to share (wine glasses available nearby at the main house), the beautiful floral arrangements surrounding the area, an inviting mineral water pool at just about the perfect temperature, a hot tub beckoning you at night, and a sauna (not to mention the amazing views of the mountains and the meadows), I was able to relax here more than anywhere else I have been. Every evening, it became a running joke with Kurt, who would stop by and ask me if I was relaxed yet. It took a couple of days, but I was able to smile and finally tell him “yes”. He didn’t have to ask; he knew. Years of stress were melted away here.

The resort does have a clothing-optional policy in the fenced-in pool area. If this is something that you might be concerned about, there really is no need to worry. Sunbathers choosing to keep their swimsuits (or regular clothes) on are just as welcome as those who choose to get the full-body tan – there is no pressure either way.

I would be remiss if I did not mention the breakfast portion of this Bed and Breakfast. Breakfast starts around 9 am, though coffee is usually available earlier in the main house. While we were there, we also enjoyed a fresh cider drink along with our coffee. As you are seated, a cereal blend is served, followed by the main breakfast entrée. At our first meal we found ourselves enjoying the best serving of Eggs Benedict that we have ever had. An amazing mushroom crepe was served the second morning, and pancakes with strawberries rounded out our third morning. Fresh fruit was also a part of every meal, and the fruit was fantastic (the honeydew was hands-down amazing, and this is coming from someone who typically does not like honeydew).

Richard, the other owner of Meadowlark, handles much of the cooking duties. They have a covered verandah that allows those dining to eat “al fresco” most days when the morning temperatures allow. The seating arrangements outdoors allow for both intimate dining and dining with others (which, while we were there, often ended up in a very lively conversation that ultimately resulted in tears being wiped away from laughing so hard). One morning, most agreed that it was relatively cool, so we made an impromptu decision to take breakfast indoors around a large table in the main house. They also can serve breakfast in your room, too, if you prefer.

This leaves one final aspect of Meadowlark Country House to discuss: The owners and hosts. Kurt and Richard make up the soul of this fabulous resort. On several occasions, we had the opportunity to sit down with at least one of them to talk about the Napa area, their past experiences, and whatever else we wanted to talk about. I was skeptical when I read other reviews on here that mentioned that you feel like family by the time you leave Meadowlark; I get it now. Richard, Kurt, and the rest of the staff make Meadowlark what it is. Simply put, it is the best place we have found to escape from everyday life.

As others have mentioned in their reviews, we have found our place to stay for our visits to the Napa Valley area. We thought that this would be our only trip to this part of California, but, after staying here, we are already looking at our calendars to find the next opportunity to stay at Meadowlark Country House. It is not just a place to sleep at; it is truly a destination...a reason to travel.

Thank you to Kurt, Richard, and the rest of the Meadowlark staff for a truly memorable stay!

2 Thank Chris M
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent two wonderful nights here last month and I'm already dreaming of going back. I was hesitant to leave our two dogs but so many pet friendly accommodations were either a bargain with zero amenities or many amenities with the price tag to match. Meadowlark was the perfect balance of those two extremes, a very good value. With gorgeous views, privacy, a beautiful pool, spa and sauna area, delicious breakfasts and gracious hosts it's a heavenly getaway. We wish we had had more time to relax on the grounds, there's a beautiful barn with horses, a lily pond and views of the surrounding mountains. The resident pooches are friendly and even though ours are territorial and our rescue growls at every dog at each greeting Kurt and Richard did not bat an eyelash exclaiming niceties like "they're just saying hello!" even though I was mortified!
We stayed in the pond room which was tastefully decorated and had a private patio and two person jacuzzi tub.
A note for pet owners and hikers: there are ticks here and in the surrounding areas so check your dogs and wear long clothing if you plan to explore. We were unaware and found one of the little nasties on our dog a couple days after coming home.

• Stayed July 2013
Signal Hill, California
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Great find! We recently got married on the grounds of Meadowlark and it was the perfect location for an intimate ceremony. The accommodations were superb and the house hosts/owners – Rich and Kurt were very helpful and gracious with their time and area recommendations. You can’t go wrong staying here – we will be back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Downs, Illinois
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Kurt & Richard are wonderful hosts. Our Mountain View room was spacious and comfortable and had a gorgeous view of the mountains. The pool, hot tub & sauna area was beautiful, a great place to kick back and enjoy a glass of wine. The grounds were covered with flowers and animals. Very peaceful and relaxing. Our three breakfasts were all different and all delightful. Breakfast was an event and a great time to make new friends. We'll definitely be going back to Meadowlark!!

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We drove to Calistoga as a diversion during our longer stay in San Francisco. We selected Meadowlark Country House based upon reading the reviews of several inns located in the area. Despite this being our first visit, we felt like we were visiting the country estate of long-time family friends rather than staying at a commercial establishment. Richard and Kurt have magically created a remarkable experience for their guests.
Naturally, as a B&B, the breakfast is important. Each morning, breakfast featured a different theme. In addition to preparing and serving the menu for each day, Richard willingly prepared the extra items that my wife and I requested at breakfast each morning. The bedroom is fantastic. Music was playing softly in our room when we first arrived. The furniture is comfortable and décor tasteful. The oversize tile bathroom is exquisite. Our room has French doors leading to a large secluded patio with a well-tended border flower garden and small lily pond.
Since I am addicted to natural hot mineral spring water, I rose early each morning, brewed a cup of hot tea in the dining room and spent an hour or two enjoying the sauna, pool and hot tub until breakfast was ready. We and most of the other guests spent our days visiting wineries before returning in the late afternoon to relax at poolside. We dined out two nights and for the other two nights brought wine, cheese, and fruit back from our daily excursions to enjoy a lingering mellow supper on our patio while day turned to night. There is a refrigerator in the dining area where guests can chill wine bottles and keep perishables.
During our mid-week stay, almost all the guests were first timers. The friendly atmosphere made it easy to strike up conversations with everyone both at the shared breakfast tables and by the pool.
We are looking forward to our next opportunity to spend time with Richard and Kurt at their Shangri-La.
Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple.

St. Louis
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We arrived after a short drive from Lake Tahoe for a night on our way up the Ca coast. Our suite (#2) was simply amazing.. huge with a large sitting room hallway leading to the 4poster bedroom with fireplace and very nice deck out back. So tastefully upscale with amazing decorations.

Hosts whom we met at breakfast were so friendly, my wife commented that she loved the paint color in the house and they ran around to get here a sample to take home and have duplicated at our local paint store... breakfast had great coffee, OJ and pancakes.. delish!

Lets talk about the whole "naked pool" thing. We are not naked pool people (at least with others around) but were certainly aware than the fantastic pool area did not require you to wear any clothes. Many of the guests were taking advantage of this option when we went, but after a few minutes (ok maybe 30 or so), we found ourselves able to have a straight faced conversation about local restaurants with the other less clothed (ok buck naked) guests while maintaining eye contact. I would say that the clothing optional thing was very much appreciated by a broad spectrum of ages and body types and everyone seemed really happy to be naked and very nonjudgmental of our choice to keep covered. Only the pool is clothing optional and if you don't venture there you would have no idea...

My only small suggestion for Meadowlark is about their choice of soaps/shampoos etc. I love Dove and Dial products but putting costco sized dispensers of there various products in the beautiful marble bath somehow takes the level of chic down a bit, a few tasteful refillable glass dispensers would be a phenomenal upgrade.

Overall, if back in the area, we very much look forward to coming back to the meadowlark and enjoying this special place...

1 Thank execplatscum
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
The Bergson
#1 of 27 in Calistoga
Solage, an Auberge Resort
Solage, an Auberge Resort
#2 of 15 in Calistoga

Been to Meadowlark Country House? Share your experiences!