“funky, fun mud bath experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Calistoga Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa
Asheville, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“funky, fun mud bath experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

my wife tentatively agreed to go with me to this spa to experience the so called famous mud baths and mineral springs of calastoga. we had been to the mud baths in israel and that was fun and suposedly good for your skin and health, and friends had told us about thier good expereinces at the mud baths in calastoga, so we decided to give it a try. got to what essentially was a pleasant, clean albeit dated motel wrapped around their mud baths and mineral baths facility. we were greeted by pleasant enough staff who seated us in their waiting room with a few other people waiting for their turn. we were called in for our couples experience and led by a pleasant young man who patiently showed us our dressing room, and then to our couples mud bathe area. he explained how to get in, what to expect, and aside from the initial icky factor, it was fun, felt good, and my wife even commented the next day how good her skin felt

Visited September 2013
3 Thank Stuart K

Cape Coral, Florida, USA
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Worth trying”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Mud bath was worth trying at least once, glad I did. But the best part was actually the massage and facial. On par with the best in the finest hotels. Nice way to detox, glad we went, comfortable surroundings. Earthy and comfy, not luxurious and didnt need to be

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Jcmcmd
Southern Cali
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Early Bird Mud bath for Couples was Great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Calistoga has plenty of pricey mineral spa choices but I went here because they were offering a couples mud bath package for an excellent price with an early bird special before 9:30am. I loved it. We laughed. We relaxed. It's always fun trying something new. Used their mineral pools and jacuzzis before we left.... Check out my other suggested gems in the area: http://bit.ly/17eABT0

3 Thank suzette008
Louisville, Kentucky
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“smelly and not as awesome as it sounded”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

I'm giving it three stars because it basically offered what was advertised. I thought it would be cooler than it was. It was kind of gross and I found myself wishing the time away. it wasn't glamorous or spa like at all. Cement bare walls and tubs, bare bones showers and very basic amenities. The massages didn't have great reviews so we opted for the mud baths only, deciding that we'd go somewhere more upscale for massages at a later time. I'm not sure if it would have been different if we went straight into a massage, but after we bathed they put un into a room to lay down and relax for 30 minutes after our soak. that was way too long for me without any stimulation and I eventually ended up just getting up and making my way to the shower.
I guess I detoxed though because I ended up with a splitting headache that night and I definitely looked slimmer in the mirror in the morning. All in all, I'm not sure that doing this kind of detoxing during a food and wine fest getaway is the right combo. If you go, be sure to hydrate!

1 Thank Summera3
Madison, Wisconsin
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Great experience for us!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

Calistoga mudbaths were recommended as a must-do activity when visiting wine country in California. We made a reservation for a couples mudbath midweek which, including a 1 hour massage after the mudbath/shower/jacuzzi/body wrap, cost $144 each...a great deal in our opinion. I agree with the other reviewers that it isn't a luxurious atmosphere but it is clean, welcoming, and the staff is wonderful. We had Sara as our mudbath attendant. She was very attentive to us, happy, and seemed to enjoy her work very much. She explained the entire process to us, introduced each step, and then left for awhile so that we could enjoy ourselves. She would knock and wait for us to invite her back into the room before coming in to place a cool cloth on our faces and necks, apply the facial treatment, or tell us how to prepare for the next step. We chose to each have a massage after the mudbath. My husband had Angela for his massage. He had never had a massage before and enjoyed it so much he is ready to sign up for another! I had Betina who I thought was WONDERFUL. I will definitely request her on our next trip. So...from the point of view of two novices I would say this was a fantastic experience and a tremendous value for the price.

2 Thank Patty028