“Amazing experience in Alexander Valley”
Review of The Pink Mansion

The Pink Mansion
Ranked #9 of 27 Calistoga B&B and Inns
Tucson, Arizona
“Amazing experience in Alexander Valley”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at this charming historic house-turned-B&B for our anniversary. A 7-9 course gourmet breakfast, served on china by a world-class chef, was the highlight of each morning. We stayed on the top floor suite, which was furnished with antiques (or replicas that set the mood}. Everything was perfect, and our regret was only that we spent so much time out wine-tasting and sight-seeing that we didn't feel that we had time to enjoy our room and private terrace as much as we should have! Our 4-year old daughter loved the private porches, gardens, and breakfast!

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but sizes range from very small to suites. Priced accordingly, however breakfast...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dave v

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Tampa
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Pink Mansion for a little getaway. We stayed in the Rose Suite. We picked it because it had great reviews and it was a good location. I always like to start with the good.

Pros: The suite was huge. It had a separate seating area with a couch and a fireplace. The wood floors are beautiful and you could tell that they were newer. The bedroom furniture was very pretty. I would say the couch was the only piece of furniture that was a bit out of place. It didn't really fit with the time period of the other furniture. The sheets were VERY comfortable. There are two spacious closets so we didn't have to have our stuff laying out in the room. Breakfast was adequate and good, but not gourmet. Probably more your typical B&B breakfast. The pool looked nice, although we didn't use it while we were there. The innkeepers were very nice and accommodating, but not by any means intrusive. They make a lot of great suggestions if you are looking for wineries to visit or restaurants. The ceiling is very interesting. I didn't mind it but my husband wasn't a huge fan. I think this place is more for the ladies than it is for the gents.

Cons: The bathroom for me was a big con. I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned before. The bathroom in the Rose Suite is very outdated. It has this really terrible blue tile, blue bathtub, blue sink, blue toilet (you get the picture) and the small tiles on the floor look dirty, even though I am fairly certain they were not. It just looked very aged. Like nothing had been done since the 1950s. Also, the shower is a bit of an issue. I am 5'6" and I had to squat to get under the shower head. This bathroom needs a serious renovation. Also, this room is on the first floor right off the living room, which is a gathering place for people. You could hear people talking, even though there were double doors separating the two rooms. Of course, this probably can't be avoided given the age of the house, but it is just something to be aware of when you book. This is likely the least quiet room in the mansion. The drapes in the room could also stand to be updated.

Overall, this is an adequate B&B but I don't think it is up to luxury standards. If some renovations were performed, it certainly could achieve that status but for us, we likely won't stay there again. It just isn't really our speed or taste. However, if you are a big lover of B&Bs, you may want to give this a try. If you tend to like B&Bs that feel more like a small boutique hotel, you may want to explore other options.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TravelGirl7163
Sonoma, California
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We have actually stayed here twice - both times for our anniversary. The first time, we stayed in the Honeymoon Suite, and we enjoyed it very much. We especially liked the indoor pool - something unexpected to find in an old Victorian mansion. We went swimming in the evening and had the whole pool to ourselves. It was lovely. The only drawback to it was the lack of window coverings on the French doors to keep the light from streaming in in the morning.... We enjoyed our stay so much that we decided to go back for another anniversary, but this time, we had a different experience. We stayed in the Carriage House, which is a small cottage detached from the main home. It was clean and cute, but there were no curtains on the large span of windows at the entrance, and the window covering for the back door in the bedroom only went down about two-thirds of the way. Once it was dark outside, we felt uncomfortable and on display. The Carriage House does sit up and back from the highway, but that doesn't necessarily matter to those of us who prefer the privacy of curtains. (They really should let you know beforehand on their website.) It's not very romantic to walk around the place in a t-shirt and shorts because you feel like you're in a fishbowl. We did not feel relaxed or comfortable there at all; and, considering the occasion, and the price, that was very disappointing. In retrospect, we think the Carriage House is more suited to a family rather than to a couple on a romantic getaway.... When we politely told the manager that we would be leaving the next morning due to our experience, she did not mind, but she didn't seem interested in retaining a repeat customer, either. Had she shown some concern about our experience, and tried to make it right (maybe switched us to a more private room in the main house), we would've likely tried the Pink Mansion a third time. However, that was not the case, so unfortunately, we have no plans to return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SLKwh
Palo Alto, CA
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I've stayed in Calistoga a number of times, typically in one of the unpretentious hotels on/near Lincoln. Nothing wrong with any of them, but now that I know about TPM, I can't imagine staying anywhere else.

Our room was #4, which may be the biggest suite, about 900 square feet. But the size is only part of the story. If Jay Gatsby had invited you to visit his mansion, your quarters might have looked something like #4. From the wallpaper to the period light fixtures to the oversized fourposter, attention had been lavished on every detail. I took a few dozen pictures of our suite and still couldn't adequately capture its charm.

Our suite had a terrace that led to a patio that led to the hot tub. We used the hot tub, but it was too chilly to spend any time on the patio. In any other season, it would have been idyllic.

You could not ask for a better host than Toppa (we did not have the chance to meet the rest of his family). Staying at a b&b can be awkward, but we felt as though we were visiting long-time friends. Toppa is a gifted chef -- guests who were staying longer than we did attested to the fact that everything he prepared was tasty -- and the late afternoon wine & cheese gave us a chance to sit by the fire and talk to other visitors.

The location is also convenient to downtown Calistoga, right by the main turnoff on Lincoln.

If you read my other reviews, you'll see I'm not one to rave about my lodging. But The Pink Mansion deserves all those stars, and then some. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms 4 and 5 are the suites. If you are traveling with a child, an outstanding choice. #4...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Toppa E, Owner at The Pink Mansion, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
We just wanted to say "Thanks" for writing such an outstanding review. We try hard to accommodate all of our guests and make their trip enjoyable. Knowing that you had such a pleasant stay and will hopefully return again is what rewards us the most.

We hope to see you again real soon.

Happy New Year!

Toppa
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I chose the Pink Mansion based on location in beautiful little Calistoga as well as excellent reviews. I was not disappointed. We staying in the Rose Room which is on the first floor and features a wonderful king sized bed and sitting room with gas fireplace. We needed to make arrangements for a late arrival which was handled perfectly and had the place pretty much to ourselves the first night. Breakfast the first morning was just the two of us prepared by Toppa and was amazing, the french toast was incredible nice job. Toppa gave us some excellent suggestions for our day of wine tasting. The wine and cheese reception in the evening featured some nice bottles and things to nibble on. We had fun meeting our new "housemates." Breakfast the second day was delicious as well and this time at a table full of fellow guests and a lot of good conversation and shared experiences of the Napa Valley. Highly recommend for a great B&B experience - will be back with friends.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Toppa E, Owner at The Pink Mansion, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write this review. I'm glad that you chose us as your Napa Valley Lodging destination and that we met your expectations. We look forward to seeing you again someday.

Happy New Year!

Toppa
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Vacationing from Norway and visiting my student son in San Francisco and celebrating my 50th B-day, my hubby and I wanted a little romantic break to split up our city vacation.

I picked the Pink Mansion B&B in Calistoga and the Honeymoon suite based on the fantastic reviews and the the pictures of the grand interior and spacey suite when searching for a romantic getaway in Napa Valley. The pink color of the mansion did put me off; how could I bring my manly man here? So I kept searching for a different place, however, after reading tons of reviews and seeing pictures of the different rooms in numerous inns and B&Bs, I kept coming back and ended fortunately up booking 2 nights here (Oct 7-9). My only regret is that we didn't stay at least one more night.

We were greeted by Pam, the houskeeper, who was really nice and helpful. The suite was even bigger and better than I had expected and hoped for and it was spotless. I think it is much better 'live' than in the pictures, I was afraid it would appear really dated, but everything was elegant and of good quality, nice antiques and paintings all over. We had both a vase of beautiful red roses and another vase of lilies in our suite, in addition to port and chocolate (I wouldn't have minded if there had been put out a piece of chocolate for each of us also on the following day, but still a nice gesture). The big bed was fantastic, the bathroom with the large shower with room for 2 and the heart shaped jacuzzi just added to a relaxing time. At the wine and cheese gathering in the afternoon we got to talk to some of the other guests and got some tips about wineries from Pam.

The house is beautifully furnished and it most certainly feels like you are visiting the home of an old, posh relative - I was suprised to learn that the owners are young. The breakfast was different, but a really nice treat, especially the fruit platter and the homemade blueberry scones. It was also a way to meet some of the other guests, all very sweet people. The first morning we saw a different lady serving the breakfast and the second morning there was a man, smiling and efficient, however, they did not introduce themselves, so not until I asked the man before we left, we understood that they were the owners.

We visited the Faithful geyser, just up the road and to the right, which was kind of cool, since it 'erupst' every 20 minutes - and did so for a good 4 min.! Two of the wineries we really liked visiting, are both very close and very different, Castello de Amoroso and Sterling - google them! We had planned going for a mud bath and a massage in cute little Calistoga, but we wanted to spend some time in our beautiful suite, so we did a romantic evening at home in stead - no regrets:)

Our first stay in a B&B will not be our last, if we can get the same experience again. Will absolutely recommend this place. So don't get put off by the 'pink', hurry up and make your reservations!:)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Toppa E, Owner at The Pink Mansion, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time and writing such a detailed review. I am so happy that you took a chance on "The Pink!" LOL...

All kidding aside, we understand that sometimes people may get turned away from a good book, based on it's cover, but it's what's inside that truly counts.

We really appreciate your kind words about Pam and her services, we truly value her expertise for the area and her desire to please. And thank you for commenting as well, on the Honeymoon Suite, our breakfast and the pool.

We truly value you as our guest and look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Ridgefield Park, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 4 October 2013

This was hands down the best hotel/BB experience I've ever had. I'm not one for traveling, but The Pink Mansion is a place I would go to again and again. Pam, Leslie, and Toppa are wonderful hosts, catering to your every need and then some. This is not your typical "hotel" experience.....more like visiting a friend and staying in their home. Stayed in the Master Suite which is very luxurious with a bed that makes the word comfortable seem inadequate. The breakfasts are homemade, large, and delicious. Loved the indoor pool at the end of each day tasting wine, followed by the hot tub. This was the perfect vacation for our 25th wedding anniversary and The Pink Mansion was a very large part of that perfection. Thanks Pam, Leslie, and Toppa. (stayed Sept 29, 2013 through Oct 3, 2013)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael M
Toppa E, Owner at The Pink Mansion, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. It means a lot to us when someone appreciates all the work that goes on behind the scenes. I really appreciate that you chose us as your lodging destination for your Anniversary Celebration. We hope to see you again on a future trip.

Take care!