“Cozy, Warm Affordable Stay”
Review of Wine Way Inn

Wine Way Inn
Ranked #6 of 27 Calistoga B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I called beforehand to choose a room with a larger bath as we came for a wedding. The bath was a decent size. The room itself was tight, smaller. But overall, not bad. I loved the common space... living area and kitchen. Outdoor seating. They even provide water bottles for guest to take out of a mini fridge upstairs.

The breakfast was the best. Everything fresh, local and made by the owner. They even sell a cookbook which I of course bought! Ive travelled a lot and must say this is the best breakfast I have had. If we had a little larger budget, next time i would go for their sister inn - the craftsman inn.

Will def. return and refer guests.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 October 2013

This was a wonderful, cozy place to stay. Reasonably priced, the best food you will ever get for breakfast, quiet nights, comfy beds, and ideally situated between Napa and Sonoma. I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: The suite near the kitchen was comfy and beautifully appointed.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Overall
- I would stay here again as it is good value for the price
- Location in Calistoga is ideal, as the drive to most wineries is less than 20 minutes
- Calistoga also has a free shuttle service that takes you to many wineries
- Rooms are spacious enough (not overly huge but fine for the two of us, who had two carryons, 1 big suitcase, and 1 case of wine by the end of our trip)
- Breakfast was some of the best we have ever had
- Road noise may be an issue, so we asked for a room at the back and got one, that reduced the noise quite a bit (you can still hear traffic but not as much in the back, such as in the Oakville room)

Good
- Other than being so close to the road, the location was very convenient and easy to find in Calistoga
- Probably the best breakfast around; I really can't say enough about this, except they have their own cookbook, which many people will buy
- Midday treats, such as any baked leftovers from breakfast (e.g., scones, muffins), bottles of red and white wine in the lounge
- Option to have breakfast outside, which would be quite enjoyable on good days
- Free and abundant bottled water
- Chocolates in the lounge were nice touches too
- Free wifi available in the rooms
- Nice, comfortable bed with nice bedding

Not as Good
- Hot water seems to be an issue as breakfast is served 8:30-9:30 (which means you should aim to get there by 8:45), so most people will get up around the same time. We had showers at 7:15 one morning, and 7:45 another, and found the water was never that hot in the mornings
- The bathroom was a bit dated with limited shelf space and peeling tub
- Parking is a little tricky. They seem to have ample spots but for most who park there and can't get the two spots right in front, you have to drive forward into a slanted spot, which would create issues for larger cars SUVs
- Also, when you reverse out of the spot, you are backing onto the main road, and the view can be limited if there are other cars parked there
- No TVs in the room
- Main breakfast table (seats around 10 or so) was a little hard to maneuver through at times, so going up for seconds took a little time

My husband and I visited here for two days while visiting wine country. We found the owners friendly but limiting in their interest in you. Well, they are running a business after all!

The patio we had was nice, although it's a bit of a stretch to say it's private. There is a table with two chairs designated for the room, but there is no real divider between it and the public patio area, so there would be no way to have a private conversation for either side. Also, if others used the public patio area, it would be noisy.

Despite its shortcomings, we would stay here again, but also be willing to try other options just for the change on another visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back, like the Oakville room, which also has a semi-private patio
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carol8131111
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Fantastic large and newly refurbished room with huge bathroom
Ideally located to walk into quaint Calistoga or drive to St Helena and winery's
Great home cooked breakfast from Nick and team
Just wonderful

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
WineWayInnOwners, Owner at Wine Way Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

So glad you enjoyed your stay and the lovely new King Rooms.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We had mixed feelings about this place, and to be totally honest when we arrived we didn't quite understand how they have received so many 'excellent' ratings. The house itself is old which adds a nice charm, but I somewhat agree with the previous reviewer in that there is a bit of an old musty smell that never seems to go away. I would have preferred more modern decor, which would enhanced the character of the place. It did feel a little bit like we were staying in an old persons house.

We did think that the rooms have been crammed in a little bit, and the landing and stairs are quite narrow, so it gives the impression that you are very close to other guests all the time. The room that we were in had a small bathroom that badly needed replacing - the enamel was peeling off the bath. I appreciate that it is an old house, but a little bit of luxury like bathrobes, better towels and bathroom amenities would make it feel a bit more special. A plus point was having patio doors leading to the lovely out door decking area, a real sun trap perfect for a glass of wine or two before heading out for the evening!

The owners, Nick and Gillian are lovely, and went out of their way to make us feel welcome. We found the breakfast a little bit of an odd mix, with bread and butter pudding or a baked fruit pancake served with sausages or bacon. It would have been nice to have the option of toast/bagels in the morning as the sweet brekkie option wasn't really for us. However, it was lovely to be able to sit outside in the morning with a fresh pot of tea and one of Gillians home made muffins. My only other comment re breakfast would be that we felt the timing could be extended, as 8.30-9.30 was a little bit late for us, and it seems the rest of the guests were also gathered in the living room prior to 8.30.

It is right on the main road, but to be honest we have stayed in other B&Bs throughout Calistoga and you will always hear a bit of traffic from somewhere, so it didn't bother us. In addition, we always managed to get a good parking spot outside even when the Inn was completely full. I'm not sure if we would stay here again, as we have stayed in other B&Bs in Calistoga that are more suited to our style, but if you are passing and they have a vacancy it is comfortable and friendly. On a final note, although I appreciate they are a small business, I think their cancellation policy is a little bit strict, compared to other B&Bs in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anon71

Thanks for staying and for taking the time to give us a review. Sounds like you would have preferred our lovely new King rooms or the more luxurious rooms at the Craftsman Inn.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

I chose this B&B for a weekend stay because it received good reviews on tripadvisor and because the price was on the low side for napa valley. Unfortunately, I did not think this B&B lived up to the reviews and the other visitors that I spoke with during my stay were also disappointed. When I arrived there was an envelope with my name and key outside the front door. I walked in during the hours they assigned for check in and no one was there. I found this to be a bit strange and had to carry my things up the stairs myself and find my room. That wasn't a big deal for me but if I was older and could not carry luggage up the stairs, that would be a problem. I was also disappointed that no one was there to greet me because I was going to ask for restaurant recommendations for dinner that night. The house itself is an older farmhouse and while the downstairs is nice, the bedrooms need to be updated. Mine and the others I saw all had an older carpet in them and small bathrooms with disturbingly small showers (I'm average size and 5'6" and anyone larger would have a problem in the shower). I do understand from some of the other guests that some of the rooms have been updated. I think it is important to note that I knew I reserved one of the smaller rooms and I wasn't expecting something luxurious but the room still fell below average for me. The house also has an older musty smell to it that may disappear with a remodel. The deck is a nice idea but needs more upkeep (its a bit dirty with cobwebs and things that make it look like it isn't tended to regularly). If you are a light sleeper, this may not be the place for you since you can hear the cars on the road all night. I live in a densely populated area so that part does not bother me as much.

I was looking forward to the breakfast because so many people raved about it. The breakfast was good but honestly not great like I expected. It was buffet style and not as elaborate as many other B&B breakfasts I have had. I think I would have been happy with the breakfast if the reviews did not get my hopes up for more. There was yogurt, granola, warm fruit, and a type of muffin everyday with one entree (like a casserole-- egg bake, french toast, etc-- so it is large enough to feed everyone).

Unfortunately, I did not see the owners my entire stay. I thought maybe they were on vacation but it became apparent that they were at the other B&B they own down the road. There was another gentleman there who cooked the breakfast in the morning (the owner did not cook the breakfast as others have stated) and was learning the ropes of running a B&B. He was nice but we only saw him at breakfast and he kept to himself. The other guests were friendly, which helped make up for the lack of hospitality. However, the B&B really lacked a welcoming feel, which is why most people stay in a B&B. The guests I talked to agreed that we felt like we were essentially renting a room instead of feeling like a guest in someone's home.

I've heard there is wine available but I did not try it. I also read in other reviews that they would have a cheese tray out in the evenings. This did not occur and there was no one around to ask about it. I did appreciate the free bottles of water that the B&B provided.

Overall, I have stayed in many B&B's (both in the US and internationally) and this one rates near the bottom of my experiences. I don't like to write negative reviews but I did want to share some of my feedback for other's reference.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Miss_Stina

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review and for noting that the rate you paid was very good value for the area. We offer a variety of rooms from simple traditional lodging to luxury rooms. Clearly the rates for one are not the same as the rates for the other. There are galleries of pictures for all the rooms on our website and we hope that guests make the trade off between price and amenities that is right for them.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

This BnB is right at the busiest intersection in Calistoga. When we drove up, I was dismayed. Not to worry. The room we stayed in was a small cabin - as advertised. It opens onto the back terraces which are delightful. Very pleasantly appointed. Though I slept with the window open, the noise did not bother me.

The breakfasts are superb. We enjoyed sitting at a large table with other guests. Met interesting people. The hosts are very warm and engaging.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for leaving a review.