“Fantastic in Every Way”

GreenLeadersGold level
Kohler, Wisconsin
“Fantastic in Every Way”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My wife and I just returned from our stay at the Calistoga Ranch after celebrating our anniversary there with a 3-night stay. Prior to choosing CR, I spent significant time researching other resorts in the area, eliminating some very good ones in the process. CR seemed unique to me, with its individual lodges and vast, beautiful property with its own hiking trails. Now that we have experienced this wonderful resort in person, we couldn't have been any happier with our selection.

The service at the resort was top-notch from the moment of booking when we received an email from their outstanding concierge, Gregory, asking if he could be of any assistance in making dinner reservations, planning activities, etc. Not knowing Napa particularly well, I gave Gregory full reign in choosing our dining destinations. Not only did Gregory make excellent selections (there wasn't a sub-par meal in the bunch), the weight of his involvement in the reservation process was felt everywhere we went. We were always very warmly greeted by the restaurant staff who knew of Gregory and were seated at what were seemingly the best tables at each restaurant. Well done, Gregory.

The resort itself is truly remarkable in its beauty. Pictures do not do it justice. The grounds are immaculately maintained and the resort's hiking trails provide some stunning views of the valley (we particularly recommend the Canyon Trail. The view at the end of the trail is breathtaking). A handful of reviews have bemoaned a lack of privacy in the accommodations. At least in our experience, we did not find this to be the case at all. We stayed in a Hillside Deluxe Lodge at the top of the property that literally abutted a very large hill. We did not see nor hear a single guest during our entire stay in the lodge, with the exception of the family of deer that would occasionally wander down the hill to graze on some trees. Truly tranquil.

The service by the staff was also exceptional. Everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful. It seems as if our lodge had been cleaned, straightened or restocked every time we left. We were also provided with not one, but two bottles of champagne for our anniversary, one when we checked in and the other on the night of our anniversary itself. Also of note, the first round of items in the well-stocked minibar were all complimentary, including a very nice bottle of CR's own Chardonnay. There were also complimentary Clif bars and fresh fruit available in the fitness center. Wi-Fi is also free. It's nice when you encounter a resort of this caliber that doesn't nickel and dime you at very turn. The Fairmont in San Francisco should take a cue....we were charged daily for Wi-Fi AND it was $15/day just to use their fitness center.

CR also has a fleet of Mercedes available for its guests to use, a perk my wife and I took full advantage of. We simply called down to the front desk 15 minutes or so before we wanted a car and it would be waiting for us, with chilled water bottles inside. One of the day managers, Heith, was always very helpful in arranging this for us, and in providing some excellent lunch recommendations. He was one of the staff that really stood out in his helpfulness.

A final note about the cost of the resort. A few reviews on this site have made this a focal point of their complaints. One gentleman who gave the resort only two stars described the nightly rate as "an outrage" and that he would have preferred the resort much more "at $200/night." Really!?? I would much prefer the 7-series at $30K than $80K, but that's not particularly realistic. I can only attribute this way of thinking (and complaining) to either a lack of worldliness or sheer delusion. A simple Google search will quickly reveal the types of accommodations (and their stark differences) at various price points in expensive destinations like Napa or Manhattan. The bottom line is that a resort of this caliber is going to be very expensive, no matter where it's located. The resort does not bait and switch its rates. A guest knows full well what the rate is at the time of booking. If it's too expensive for your comfort level, book elsewhere. The cost is certainly not a valid reason to dis a place after the fact.

My wife and I would absolutely stay here again and very likely will. It was an outstanding experience across the board. We're already plotting our return for our next anniversary.

Green Features: Very good in this regard. Green leaders gold level.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DMM1968
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear DMM1968,

Thank you so much for the wonderful detailed feedback of your stay with us. I am so thrilled you enjoyed your Anniversary with us and all the details; Gregory's assistance, our beautiful grounds, the service from our team, and our Mercedes Benz Program. We hope to welcome you back for many anniversaries to come!

Coni Thornburg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Napa Valley, California
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Casual elegance, zen like, tranquil, indoor/outdoor luxury, breathtaking beauty, with an amazingly friendly and helpful staff. That is how I would describe my experience at Calistoga Ranch. Oh, and they treated my Manchester Terrier, Kassius, who I was nervous about bringing, like a VIP guest. After a long day of business in the Valley, I ordered room service and had the most delicious chipotle glazed shrimp cob salad delivered to the living room of my fenced in compound. Woke up early and took Kassius for a hike up to a grassy area near their Lake House restaurant where we both stared, well I stared he barked at a family of deer. The favorite part of my short stay was the outdoor shower attached to the bedroom--bliss. That and the crazy way every staff member I came into contact with addressed me by name. Not sure how they do that?

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank foodandwineguy2014
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear foodandwineguy,

Thank you for the fun review of your time with us! I am so pleased you enjoyed your time with us, and thrilled to hear that Kassius did as well! We love to hear how wonderful of a time our guests have while here with us, and I hope to welcome your family back many more times.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We had three nights at Calistoga ranch in June 2014 as the high point in our Napa Valley Tour. It's pitched as the best resort in the area and is quite beautiful. There were pros and cons.

Pros: awesome restaurant, nicely appointed rooms, private location, great pool

Cons: little privacy! When you pay THAT much money you expect to not be crammed in like sardines. There are simply too many cottages in close proximity. And the wedding. We booked a large, private room with spa. When we checked in we found it was next to the restaurant and there was a wedding in full flight. Noise, no privacy etc etc. For US$1k plus per night? A bit impersonal. Great service, but not personal. If you come from Asia, you'll know what I mean

Net net this is a beautiful property and has both a great restaurant and pool but somewhat misses the point - people who can afford the price don't want to be on top of each other, and value privacy.

Room Tip: Call the front office and discuss room options.
Green Features: The resort is very environmentally conscious. There were recycling bins, the place was thoughtfully maintained and it seemed to us that a culture of environmental responsibility prevailed.
5 Thank Roger S
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Roger S,

Thank you for being our guests and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am thrilled you enjoyed many aspects of the Ranch, including our amazing Restaurant, the layout of your lodge and the Napa Valley location, and am very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the location of your lodge in proximity to the event taking place. The typical comment from our guests is that they cannot believe there were even other guests around as their lodges are so private and quiet, and I am sorry this was not your experience. I am incredibly thankful for your review so that we may further enhance the guest experience here. I sincerely hope to welcome you back to Calistoga Ranch so that we may create a wonderful experience for you.

Hermosa Beach, California
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We had the immense pleasure in staying at Calistoga Inn and then on to another Auberge Property, Esperanza. We had truly the best vacation we have ever had and we travel a lot! The concierge set us up with great care. The staff was so attentive and there were surprises and special touches all weekend. We felt really special.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tera M
Dear Tera M,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Calistoga Ranch! I am thrilled you enjoyed your time with us as well as at the beautiful Esperanza Resort! I will surely share with my team, especially our Concierge, how special they made you feel while staying with us. Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Ranch again soon!

Calistoga
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Incredible! Top notch in every category. We travel frequently to upscale resorts and this is now the top of our list! Incredible natural beauty! Heath checked us in and immediately upgraded us even though we never asked and took care of us the entire trip. We felt like royalty and family at the same time. Every room here is amazing.....the outdoor living spaces are a unique plus. The pool setting along with the restaurant setting is something out of heaven. If you like natural beauty and peaceful, quiet

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Rob W
Dear Rob W,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at Calistoga Ranch with us! I am so happy to hear that your stay was wonderful and that you enjoyed the natural beauty of the resort as well as the indoor/outdoor element of the lodges.

Please come visit us again soon!

Old Lyme, Connecticut
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

This is a great hotel and we loved our visit, however, be aware that the rooms where the beds are in are extremely small. Make sure you get the accommodations that have the detached living room . The bathroom was actually larger then the the bedroom! There is out door living area which adds to your actual space. So when we arrived and we were unhappy with the size of our bedroom, they did move us to another room that had the detached living room and did not charge us more. The spa was wonderful though I had an issue at the reception when I was paying for my services, but when I spoke to the manager about the curt service I received they offered, which I accepted, a free facial. The restaurant, The Lake House, was wonderful. Food and service was definitely 5 star.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear GlobeBiker141,

Thank you for sharing the details of your stay with us. I am so glad that our team was able to accommodate an upgrade to a larger lodge for you, as well as take wonderful care of you at the Spa. Our Chef will be very happy to hear that you enjoyed the amazing food served at our restaurant as well. Please come back to visit us again soon!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My husband and I enjoyed an awesome Perfect 3 nite get away.
CR is a natural private relaxation haven. Staff, Spa and food are magnificent.
Rooms invite the outside- in with all the comforts expected at this fine resort.
Outside showers and fireplaces are wonderful.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Regina B
Dear ReginaB,

Thank you for taking the time to detail your experience with us! I am thrilled to hear how much you loved the privacy and relaxation of Calistoga Ranch as well as the indoor/outdoor feel. the fireplaces and the outdoor showers. Please do come back soon to visit us!

Coni Thornburg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Bardessono
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,925 reviews
Villagio Inn and Spa
Villagio Inn and Spa
#5 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!