Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Solage, an Auberge Resort(Calistoga)
EuroSpa & Inn(Calistoga)
The Bergson(Calistoga)
View Hotel
All reviewsoutdoor showerlakehouse restaurantgolf cartliving roomhiking trailsbedroom lodgedouble sided fireplaceconcierge staffoutdoor living areaseparate buildingsroom service isfrench laundrylarge deckchicken coopwine countryrental carbeautiful property
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at many places around the world and so far this was the best. I like so many things about this place its beautiful outdoor setting the amazing rooms with garden showers , the restaurant setting and amazing food, the outdoor style gym the list goes on and on.
What really stood out was the hospitality, and the fact that there weren't a ton of hidden charges. Yes the stay here is not cheap, but I really liked the fact that after spending the initial investment we didnt pay overnight parking fees and pay for water and snacks in the fridge like so many other luxury resorts charge for.
We even got offered to drive one of their loaner Mercedes benz convertible for the day wine tasting .My wife and I were amazed by all aspects of Calistoga Ranch and cant wait to go back!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shakayseth
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear shakayseth,

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful compliments and for sharing your experience with us. I am so happy you enjoyed the outdoor setting, our shower gardens and the delicious food at The Lakehouse Restaurant. We cannot wait to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Nestled among beautiful trees and rolling hills, it is incredibly calming. The service was good. The food at The Lakeside Restaurant good too.

We booked one of the lodges that was 1,200 sq feet, with a hot tub, one of the more expensive lodges. Our goal was complete relaxtion so we planned to stay in the lodge the entire 3 days we were there. BUT, we had neighbors right next door and we could hear every word they said and could see them in their lodge and on their deck. So, for the expense of $1,500.00 per nite I would have expected much more privacy, much more.

Also, the technology of the lodge is outdated. No blue-tooth and ipod docking stations are outdated by several years so connecting your own music is not doable.

These are first world problems, clearly but for the expense -- was disappointed in the lack of privacy. Won't return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Allison H,

Thank you for being our guest at Calistoga Ranch and for the wonderful compliments on the service you received as well as the cuisine at our restaurant. I would like to apologize for the areas we fell short of your expectations and will use your comments in order to improve our guest experience. I hope for the opportunity to welcome you back to Calistoga Ranch so that we may create a wonderful stay for you.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

My wife and I just returned from our stay at the Calistoga Ranch after celebrating our anniversary there with a 3-night stay. Prior to choosing CR, I spent significant time researching other resorts in the area, eliminating some very good ones in the process. CR seemed unique to me, with its individual lodges and vast, beautiful property with its own hiking trails. Now that we have experienced this wonderful resort in person, we couldn't have been any happier with our selection.

The service at the resort was top-notch from the moment of booking when we received an email from their outstanding concierge, Gregory, asking if he could be of any assistance in making dinner reservations, planning activities, etc. Not knowing Napa particularly well, I gave Gregory full reign in choosing our dining destinations. Not only did Gregory make excellent selections (there wasn't a sub-par meal in the bunch), the weight of his involvement in the reservation process was felt everywhere we went. We were always very warmly greeted by the restaurant staff who knew of Gregory and were seated at what were seemingly the best tables at each restaurant. Well done, Gregory.

The resort itself is truly remarkable in its beauty. Pictures do not do it justice. The grounds are immaculately maintained and the resort's hiking trails provide some stunning views of the valley (we particularly recommend the Canyon Trail. The view at the end of the trail is breathtaking). A handful of reviews have bemoaned a lack of privacy in the accommodations. At least in our experience, we did not find this to be the case at all. We stayed in a Hillside Deluxe Lodge at the top of the property that literally abutted a very large hill. We did not see nor hear a single guest during our entire stay in the lodge, with the exception of the family of deer that would occasionally wander down the hill to graze on some trees. Truly tranquil.

The service by the staff was also exceptional. Everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful. It seems as if our lodge had been cleaned, straightened or restocked every time we left. We were also provided with not one, but two bottles of champagne for our anniversary, one when we checked in and the other on the night of our anniversary itself. Also of note, the first round of items in the well-stocked minibar were all complimentary, including a very nice bottle of CR's own Chardonnay. There were also complimentary Clif bars and fresh fruit available in the fitness center. Wi-Fi is also free. It's nice when you encounter a resort of this caliber that doesn't nickel and dime you at very turn. The Fairmont in San Francisco should take a cue....we were charged daily for Wi-Fi AND it was $15/day just to use their fitness center.

CR also has a fleet of Mercedes available for its guests to use, a perk my wife and I took full advantage of. We simply called down to the front desk 15 minutes or so before we wanted a car and it would be waiting for us, with chilled water bottles inside. One of the day managers, Heith, was always very helpful in arranging this for us, and in providing some excellent lunch recommendations. He was one of the staff that really stood out in his helpfulness.

A final note about the cost of the resort. A few reviews on this site have made this a focal point of their complaints. One gentleman who gave the resort only two stars described the nightly rate as "an outrage" and that he would have preferred the resort much more "at $200/night." Really!?? I would much prefer the 7-series at $30K than $80K, but that's not particularly realistic. I can only attribute this way of thinking (and complaining) to either a lack of worldliness or sheer delusion. A simple Google search will quickly reveal the types of accommodations (and their stark differences) at various price points in expensive destinations like Napa or Manhattan. The bottom line is that a resort of this caliber is going to be very expensive, no matter where it's located. The resort does not bait and switch its rates. A guest knows full well what the rate is at the time of booking. If it's too expensive for your comfort level, book elsewhere. The cost is certainly not a valid reason to dis a place after the fact.

My wife and I would absolutely stay here again and very likely will. It was an outstanding experience across the board. We're already plotting our return for our next anniversary.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DMM1968

Dear DMM1968,

Thank you so much for the wonderful detailed feedback of your stay with us. I am so thrilled you enjoyed your Anniversary with us and all the details; Gregory's assistance, our beautiful grounds, the service from our team, and our Mercedes Benz Program. We hope to welcome you back for many anniversaries to come!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Casual elegance, zen like, tranquil, indoor/outdoor luxury, breathtaking beauty, with an amazingly friendly and helpful staff. That is how I would describe my experience at Calistoga Ranch. Oh, and they treated my Manchester Terrier, Kassius, who I was nervous about bringing, like a VIP guest. After a long day of business in the Valley, I ordered room service and had the most delicious chipotle glazed shrimp cob salad delivered to the living room of my fenced in compound. Woke up early and took Kassius for a hike up to a grassy area near their Lake House restaurant where we both stared, well I stared he barked at a family of deer. The favorite part of my short stay was the outdoor shower attached to the bedroom--bliss. That and the crazy way every staff member I came into contact with addressed me by name. Not sure how they do that?

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank foodandwineguy2014
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear foodandwineguy,

Thank you for the fun review of your time with us! I am so pleased you enjoyed your time with us, and thrilled to hear that Kassius did as well! We love to hear how wonderful of a time our guests have while here with us, and I hope to welcome your family back many more times.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We had three nights at Calistoga ranch in June 2014 as the high point in our Napa Valley Tour. It's pitched as the best resort in the area and is quite beautiful. There were pros and cons.

Pros: awesome restaurant, nicely appointed rooms, private location, great pool

Cons: little privacy! When you pay THAT much money you expect to not be crammed in like sardines. There are simply too many cottages in close proximity. And the wedding. We booked a large, private room with spa. When we checked in we found it was next to the restaurant and there was a wedding in full flight. Noise, no privacy etc etc. For US$1k plus per night? A bit impersonal. Great service, but not personal. If you come from Asia, you'll know what I mean

Net net this is a beautiful property and has both a great restaurant and pool but somewhat misses the point - people who can afford the price don't want to be on top of each other, and value privacy.

Room Tip: Call the front office and discuss room options.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Roger S
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Roger S,

Thank you for being our guests and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am thrilled you enjoyed many aspects of the Ranch, including our amazing Restaurant, the layout of your lodge and the Napa Valley location, and am very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the location of your lodge in proximity to the event taking place. The typical comment from our guests is that they cannot believe there were even other guests around as their lodges are so private and quiet, and I am sorry this was not your experience. I am incredibly thankful for your review so that we may further enhance the guest experience here. I sincerely hope to welcome you back to Calistoga Ranch so that we may create a wonderful experience for you.