“Relaxing retreat in Beautiful Calistoga”
Review of Hideaway Cottages

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calistoga
Hideaway Cottages
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is the perfect place to stay when visiting the wine country. I booked the Berlin cottage for three nights, and loved it. It has all the essentials – adorable kitchen, small sitting room with fold out couch and TV, and a nice sized bedroom and bathroom. They even had a full sized coffee maker, and great coffee! I get so tired of the tiny ones with lousy coffee. I was on my own for one night, and felt completely safe and secure. The next two nights a friend joined me, and the cottage had more than enough room. The grounds are lovely and very quiet – lots of beautiful shade trees and green grass. It makes for a very relaxing, private and peaceful environment. This is a great place for a romantic weekend, friends getaway or solo retreat.

All of the employees we encountered were excellent. They actually seemed happy that we were staying there, which is nice. I got some great info on walks/hikes in the area – loved the walk along the bike path to Sterling – a perfect morning walk, complete with singing birds and beautiful vineyards! I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Mark W, Owner at Hideaway Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Anabanana,

Thanks so much for your very kind review! I agree that Hideaway is a very restful place (of course I own it) :) .

Hope to see you soon on a return visit! In the meanwhile, many thanks again to you. It is reviews like yours that help places like Hideaway stay alive in the world of Courtyard by Marriott, etc.

All best,

There are newer reviews for Hideaway Cottages

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I attended a wedding in Calistoga and this was one of the hotels suggested by the couple. I'm usually a little leery about not finding hotels myself but I must say, I was very pleased with our decision to go ahead and stay here. After spending the night in a room that was basically the size of a dollhouse for a night's stay in San Francisco, I about cried when we opened the door to our cottage and saw how adorable it was. Oats with toppings and some really tasty pastries are provided for breakfast but there a grocery store right up the street. Everything is within walking distance, though. The people in the entire town were so nice and I could have imagined it being a better trip! If we ever make it back out that way, we will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark W, Owner at Hideaway Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2015

Dear Shannon S,

Although a little behind with a response , I am so happy that you enjoyed your visit. Hideaway is a quiet and laid back property........lot's of trees, gardens over 2 acres but just two blocks from our main street, Lincoln Avenue.

We hope to see you here again soon!

Many thanks,
Mark W

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Please understand if You are searching for a Uber-Swanky hotel experience this may not be your 1st choice...BUT...if you want affordable lodging in the quiet north end of the Napa Valley this is your place. A very short walk from all of Calistoga's restaurants makes for a perfect location to stay after a day in Napa valley. Clean rooms, nice pool/hot tub and complimentary continental style breakfast included in your overall room rate. We will be back.

Room Tip: Great value for clean rooms away from the log-jam traffic further south in the Napa Valley.
3  Thank Jackson3KansasCity

So glad you enjoyed your visit! Our 15 cottages, spread over 2 acres, two blocks from downtown offer a respite which includes a lot of quiet and relaxation.

Many thanks.......come see us again soon!

Mark

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We are in Calistoga often and quite frankly I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. These 1950's style cottages are just perfect for us, clean and very quiet. We always stay in (Berlin) a Garden Deluxe with King and full kitchen. The spaciousness of the grounds with mineral pool and hot tub are wonderful and would cure anyone's aches and pains. We received a nice tot bag of goodies for breakfast in the morning with delicious muffins and scones (baked locally) along with fruit and juices. Now, if you want the more tourist oriented hotel/spas with more amenities and pampering, this is probably not for you. However, if you want a children free (only 18 and above) environment with an unpretentious relaxed quiet atmosphere, I highly recommend it. My husband and I have been going here at least 15 years and it is one of the nicer vacation accommodations we know. In fact, if these cottages weren't available for our weekend getaway we probably would have waited for a time that they were available. They also don't require this 2 or 3 night minimum like a lot of other places in Calistoga do. The Hideaway Cottages are also walking distance to downtown with a great grocery store (CalFoods) down the street.

Room Tip: We always get the garden front cottages with full kitchen because I get tired of eating out and it i...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark W, Owner at Hideaway Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear Olivia,

Thanks so much for the kind review! It is always inspiring to know that what we do is appreciated!
Hope to see you here again soon! The grounds are looking particularly refreshing these days!

Warm best,

Reviewed 15 November 2013

We came to Calistoga for a relaxing three days of eating , wine-tasting, and mud baths. So we booked into Dr. Wilkinson's for nights 1 & 2, and moved over to the The Hideway Cottages for night 3. We were delighted with our perfect size cabin, bright cheery décor, and the lovely grounds and pool. The cottages are a perfect distance from the five places we like to eat in Calistoga, which, are all on the main street. I only hesitate in writing this as I don't want it to get too popular and I won't be able to get a reservation again! Seriously, it is now my favorite lodging in Calistoga!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kathryn B
Mark W, Owner at Hideaway Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear kathrynB,

Overdue thanks to you for the very kind review. I am so happy that you enjoyed your last stay with us! We are set to reopen for the season on 25 April so we hope to see you here again this season!

All best wishes,

Reviewed 14 October 2013

My family stayed at the Hideaway Cottages this weekend and we had side by side accommodations but 2 VERY different experiences.

Arrival: When we arrived we were told about the breakfast tote which we could pick up in the morning between 8:30 - 10:30 am. 2 people in our group requested oatmeal for the tote in the morning. The pool closes at 10:00 pm.

OUR EXPERIENCE: The overall "CHITA" cottage was very nice with a full kitchen, towels, a Zenith TV that for all purposes had a decent picture considering it is 30 years old, the bed (comfortable) is only a double, and expect 15 minutes for hot water because it is a mineral spring providing the water. The breakfast tote had a ton of food in it and was plenty of food for 2 people. Overall, I was delighted with the accommodations and then the next morning I see my dad's accommodations...

THEIR EXPERIENCE- WARNING- We had a dog with service dog tags for an ESA (Emotional Support Animal) and WE called ahead of time, before booking this property to ensure this would be allowed. When we arrived they took a copy of the tag, and shortly later came to my dad's room and Erica said, the property did not accept ESA as a legitimate tag, but she was able to get the manager to let us stay. First of all WE CALLED, 2nd of all the room was PREPAID and 3rd there were NO other rooms in all of the valley for rent. What were they going to do if Erica wasn't able to help us? Put us on the streets in the middle of the night knowing the entire valley was sold out? Erica stated that who ever we talked to when we called was a new employee and didn't know they didn't accept ESA. An ESA is not something I take lightly, there is a medical condition that a DOCTOR wrote for this animal to be with his companion. Further, their accommodations were polar opposite of ours. The lamp in the living room didn't work, the one in the bedroom didn't work, there was no kitchen, microwave or anything of the like and then only one of them got oatmeal with no spoon or adequate utensils.

I would say that I would return to the property but after what was basically threatened to us about the ESA I would not return here on principal of the matter. Shame on you.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tl4tl
Mark W, Owner at Hideaway Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear tl4tl,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We have many room types here at the Hideaway. Not every room has a full kitchen but the cottage you booked does have a fridge, a microwave on top and the room is equipped with plates, flatware, coffee mugs and cups and wine glasses with a corkscrew. I a sorry that you did not see the microwave in the cottage or inquire with Erika about it. The same goes for any lack of spoons, etc. Upon check-out, we noticed that you had not touched the utensils, etc. provided. With regard to the light globe not working, unfortunately globes do burn out and a simple request to Erika would have easily taken care of the situation. Both cottages have queen size beds......they are not doubles.

In general, we are a non pet property and are most sorry if you feel that our taking a copy of the dogs papers and licenses "threatened" you in any way. If we have a service animal, we like to make previous note of it and apparently when you spoke to us at one point in the past, we did not note it. At no point were you not offered the cottages that you reserved. As Erika did not have access to a copy machine, she had to come to another office and deliver you back the paperwork while you were in the cottages! I guess I just don't understand the "trauma"!

As to the "no oatmeal", we were told that the guest did not want oatmeal.

Irregardless, I once again thank you for your feedback! We make every effort to provide a relaxing visit for all of our guests. All comments, positive or negative, are taken seriously and I hope to see you here on a future visit!

Warm best wishes,

Reviewed 4 October 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in August while on a west coast vacation. The location was a bit hidden but that worked out perfectly in our favour as it was not crowded and nice and quiet. This is a great location to stay when touring Napa and Sonoma. The cottage was updated nicely, fridge and microwave in the room, modern furnishings, nice flat screen tv, great organic coffee in the room. Breakfast was included which was a cute tote that you picked up from the office in the morning. Our breakfast included fresh juice, homemade baked goods from a local bakery and oatmeal and fresh fruit, the perfect breakfast before exploring the local wineries :) The pool, hot tub and water in your room are all from mineral springs, which Calistoga is known for. Had a nice size deck on the cottage which was great for morning coffee or for sitting out at night with a bottle of wine. The staff was super friendly and informative. We're hoping to go back with friends sometime soon and rent the big house - 2 bedrooms, full kitchen and living room, little yard with a bbq, it looked great for a family or a few couples.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank boyzmom33
Mark W, Owner at Hideaway Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

Dear boysmom,

Thank you so much for the kind review! It is always such a pleasure hearing from our guests with positive feedback! I hope to see you here again soon!

Warm best wishes,