“Nothing special”
Review of Hideaway Cottages

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calistoga
Hideaway Cottages
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Brentwood, California
“Nothing special”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I've stayed here a few times. It's not great by any means. It's pretty much your basic lodge. The AC turned on but didn't produce any cold air. It definitely needs a bit of remodeling and looks pretty outdated. Not sure I will stay here again. Only reason I've been here more than once is because of its location.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sandra G

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Los Olivos
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

I guess over $270 a night means more to some than others. Our cottage was fair at best.

Location was good, near shops and restaurants but it ends there.

The TV was an old tube type and the cable worked on a few channels. But the air conditioner was not working right and their answer was turn on the ceiling fan! Really??? We left and they did refund the night we left, I really felt they owed us the first night too. It is not a $270+ a night experience. Hot the first night, unbearable the next so we left. Not attention to their rooms, no internet except in lodge either. Take car of your place and perhaps the place won't be empty on a summer weekend. I wondered about that when we came in.

We drove to Valejo and slept well in a Marriott.

To the owner, you owe me the other night, not cool for our anniversary weekend.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank losolivosres
Mark W, Owner at Hideaway Cottages, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear olivo,

Thanks for the review. As always, feedback in invaluable to us and is appreciated, be it positive or negative.
I truly wish that you had let us know earlier than 7:00PM on Saturday about the AC unit in your cottage. Had we known, we would have taken care of the situation. Indeed, we suggested that, since there is a bedroom fan, turning it on might have helped. In your review, you failed to mention that you were offered another cottage at a discount rate of 25%. I must say that you had every opportunity to have let us know about anything you felt was amiss. If we don't know and if you don't let us know of any problem, be it major or minor, how can we, as long time operators of two resorts, know? And I must tell you that you were granted a "no charge", at 7:30PM on Saturday. I must also tell you that the resort was full with a last minute cancel... not "empty" per your comment.

Again, my apologies and wishing that you had let us know about a problem verses a bad review on tripadvisor. Reviews like yours make room for another "Courtyard By Marriott" and are terribly harmful to those who sincerely try to make all guests happy running as a family business! Whatever suits you best!

Most sincerely,
owner
Pacifica, California
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I have been coming to the Cottages for many years. When my husband was alive, we loved the peace and quiet, yet so close to the main street where we could walk all over. Since then I have come up twice with friends, the last time was July 2013 and we are planning to come back in 2015. Not fancy but oh so relaxing. Everyone is nice and it is affordable. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: all cottages are good we like Berlin as it is close to pool
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
San Jose, California
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is the perfect place to stay when visiting the wine country. I booked the Berlin cottage for three nights, and loved it. It has all the essentials – adorable kitchen, small sitting room with fold out couch and TV, and a nice sized bedroom and bathroom. They even had a full sized coffee maker, and great coffee! I get so tired of the tiny ones with lousy coffee. I was on my own for one night, and felt completely safe and secure. The next two nights a friend joined me, and the cottage had more than enough room. The grounds are lovely and very quiet – lots of beautiful shade trees and green grass. It makes for a very relaxing, private and peaceful environment. This is a great place for a romantic weekend, friends getaway or solo retreat.

All of the employees we encountered were excellent. They actually seemed happy that we were staying there, which is nice. I got some great info on walks/hikes in the area – loved the walk along the bike path to Sterling – a perfect morning walk, complete with singing birds and beautiful vineyards! I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Mark W, Owner at Hideaway Cottages, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Anabanana,

Thanks so much for your very kind review! I agree that Hideaway is a very restful place (of course I own it) :) .

Hope to see you soon on a return visit! In the meanwhile, many thanks again to you. It is reviews like yours that help places like Hideaway stay alive in the world of Courtyard by Marriott, etc.

All best,
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I attended a wedding in Calistoga and this was one of the hotels suggested by the couple. I'm usually a little leery about not finding hotels myself but I must say, I was very pleased with our decision to go ahead and stay here. After spending the night in a room that was basically the size of a dollhouse for a night's stay in San Francisco, I about cried when we opened the door to our cottage and saw how adorable it was. Oats with toppings and some really tasty pastries are provided for breakfast but there a grocery store right up the street. Everything is within walking distance, though. The people in the entire town were so nice and I could have imagined it being a better trip! If we ever make it back out that way, we will definitely stay here again!

Mark W, Owner at Hideaway Cottages, responded to this review, 14 April 2015
Dear Shannon S,

Although a little behind with a response , I am so happy that you enjoyed your visit. Hideaway is a quiet and laid back property........lot's of trees, gardens over 2 acres but just two blocks from our main street, Lincoln Avenue.

We hope to see you here again soon!

Many thanks,
Mark W
Kansas City
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Please understand if You are searching for a Uber-Swanky hotel experience this may not be your 1st choice...BUT...if you want affordable lodging in the quiet north end of the Napa Valley this is your place. A very short walk from all of Calistoga's restaurants makes for a perfect location to stay after a day in Napa valley. Clean rooms, nice pool/hot tub and complimentary continental style breakfast included in your overall room rate. We will be back.

Room Tip: Great value for clean rooms away from the log-jam traffic further south in the Napa Valley.
3 Thank Jackson3KansasCity
Mark W, Owner at Hideaway Cottages, responded to this review, 14 April 2015
So glad you enjoyed your visit! Our 15 cottages, spread over 2 acres, two blocks from downtown offer a respite which includes a lot of quiet and relaxation.

Many thanks.......come see us again soon!

Mark
Brisbane, California
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We are in Calistoga often and quite frankly I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. These 1950's style cottages are just perfect for us, clean and very quiet. We always stay in (Berlin) a Garden Deluxe with King and full kitchen. The spaciousness of the grounds with mineral pool and hot tub are wonderful and would cure anyone's aches and pains. We received a nice tot bag of goodies for breakfast in the morning with delicious muffins and scones (baked locally) along with fruit and juices. Now, if you want the more tourist oriented hotel/spas with more amenities and pampering, this is probably not for you. However, if you want a children free (only 18 and above) environment with an unpretentious relaxed quiet atmosphere, I highly recommend it. My husband and I have been going here at least 15 years and it is one of the nicer vacation accommodations we know. In fact, if these cottages weren't available for our weekend getaway we probably would have waited for a time that they were available. They also don't require this 2 or 3 night minimum like a lot of other places in Calistoga do. The Hideaway Cottages are also walking distance to downtown with a great grocery store (CalFoods) down the street.

Room Tip: We always get the garden front cottages with full kitchen because I get tired of eating out and it i...
Mark W, Owner at Hideaway Cottages, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Olivia,

Thanks so much for the kind review! It is always inspiring to know that what we do is appreciated!
Hope to see you here again soon! The grounds are looking particularly refreshing these days!

Warm best,