“our Calistoga to go place”

Carlin Country Cottages
Napa, California
“our Calistoga to go place”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This our "go to" place in Calistoga. The price is right. The best in Calistoga for the type of property. The rooms and grounds are very clean and well kept. The staff is always friendly and full of information.
We love the mineral water pool and jacuzzi.
We have stayed in both summer and winter and found all the property facilities to be most comfortable.

Room Tip: Basically three types of rooms. Plus one full handicapped accessible room. Check the web site to cho...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Frank O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Our stay at the Carlin cottages was perfect for our 2 nights in Calistoga. The cottages were clean, accommodating, and comfortable. Felt like our home away from home for our weekend getaway. I recommend checking them out if you are planning a trip to beautiful Calistoga. Two thumbs up!!!!!

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank schmighty
Calistoga, California
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I love Carlin Cottages. The couple that own and run it are awesome people with alot of integrity! The cottages are clean and oh so comfortable! All my relatives stay at Carlin Cottages too! I wouldn't stay anywhere else! Really! I love sitting by the pool. I have been here when it is raining I have been here on the fourth of July and it's always relaxing and I have met so many nice and friendly people here too! I just love it and that is why I have given it 5 stars. You should try it on your next visit to beautiful Calistoga!

Room Tip: I love the jacuzzi rooms!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Barbara D
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We checked in around 7:pm. We couldn't find a thermostat or heaterWe had Lynn come to show us where and how to operate the heater. On the air-conditioner...no fan settings. I had to get up about every hour to turn off the blasting heat. Then back on again due to the cold. I walked into the kitchen and saw 3 roaches crawling up walls and on the counter! How disgusting! $150 for cockroaches? Then we tried to use the phone...couldn't get a dial tone! I called the office to complain and got a recording at 9:07 pm, "The office is now closed..."
As if that wasn't enough, the kitchen sink leaked very badly. Also when I went to the bathroom and turned on the bathtub faucet there was very little water flow! We could not find the shower nozzle to turn on the shower! I had to sit there and rinse out the shampoo in my hair by running to the kitchen and getting a glass!
This is an over priced dump! There are NO cottages. This is a motel only. It is in a residential neighborhood...low income neighborhood at the least! My advice is stay someplace else.
I asked for a refund and the owners offered a free night stay! I feel totally ripped off and will contact consumer fraud bureau. Also AAA to report all the problems.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank KayeKaye77
georgicos, General Manager at Carlin Country Cottages, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
I would like to start my response with "shame on you". The claims made on this review are all false. EXCEPT the problem with the shower head. A couple of our rooms have tricky little nozzles at the mouth of the tub faucet that need to be pulled down in order for the shower to go on. We normally have written instructions in the bathroom to assist with the shower. However they were missing. A phone call to the front desk would have resolved this issue . The front desk closes at 9pm but we live on the property and if this quest would have left a message we would have taken care all of their needs. The voice mail greeting states if this is an after hours call please leave a message. The heater works fine and has several settings, this too could have been resolved with a phone call. The kitchen sink does not leak. Most importantly, we do not have cockroaches! Due to this quests claims I immediately checked the room. Did not find a single bug let alone cockroaches. I also called our Pest Control Co. they came out the next morning inspected the room and did not find any cockroaches. As any good business we are on a routine service to try to avoid this problem. This room was occupied by other guests all year without a problem. We had guests occupying this room for 4 days before this person arrived and no complaints? There is a quest in the room now, no problems. The other option we could have moved them to a different room. There was no pleasing this guest. They wanted a full refund, and threatened to write this review if they didn't get a full refund. Due to the nature of Trip Adviser' s impact on business I gave a full refund and this quest wrote up the fabricated review anyway. If you look at our previous reviews you will read the majority of our guests reviews are very happy with their stay and compliment how clean our rooms are kept and our property is very well maintained. This review is fabricated. I request that this review be removed from the Trip Adviser website.

Travellers are raving about these Calistoga hotels

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 22 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

It is friendly, economical and has both an indoor and outdoor hotspring Jacuzzi. The place is nice and clean and cute ambience. I will be back again.
The breakfast is kind of simple and downtown is much better. This is a nice, clean and no frill motel.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Valparaiso, Indiana
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I was appalled at this cottage. It was not in a good neighborhood and when pulling in, I felt as if we were pulling into a shady outdoor motel location. It was very run down in the room. When I opened the mini fridge to store drinks, there was melted ice cream all over the fridge. I picked this place because of the "mineral jacuzzi tub." I turned on the water and it stunk of rotten eggs. I then activated the jets and black particles shot out from the jets. It was disgusting. The room smelled of rotten eggs the rest of the night. The bed was hard as a rock. When I complained to the front desk the next morning, they said I should have told them and we could have switched rooms. Problem is that the front desk/office closes at 9pm and this occurred at 9:30pm. They also said they had "never heard of this problem before." I find that hard to believe when the jets in the jacuzzi tubed were caked in black grime. This was a MAJOR disappointment when I was seeking a romantic night in Napa Valley. The only plus to this place was that it was close to Castillo Amorosa.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
napacali, Owner at Carlin Country Cottages, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Our apology to dirty disappointment. We are sorry she did not enjoy her stay. However may I explain the Jacuzzi room experience. The water that fills the jacuzzi tub is straight from our hot springs. Hence the rotten egg smell. The dark specs from the jets are dried mineral deposits from the water.
There are instructions in every room that give detailed explanations on how to use and what to expect from the use of these tubs. If the water did not smell like sulphur that would mean it is not the real thing (hot Springs).

The "ice cream" found in the refrigerator is very unusual for Carlin Cottages housekeeping. My manager offered a new refrigerator but the guest turned him down. All our beds are 1-3 years old.

I hope this clears up a few things and I want the guest to know that their comfort is our first priority.

Our office hours are 9am to 9pm, but, we live on the property and a call to the front desk is alway answered and assistance provided. Our outdoor pool and hot tub are also hot spring fed mineral water. These pools do not give off the sulphur smell. We also offer rooms with full kitchens that may better accommodate this guest. We thank you for visiting Carlin Cottages and hope you will return and enjoy our full service experience.
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Clean, quiet stay in Calistoga. Located just off the main drag and close to restaurants and shops. Great headquarters for a few days in upper Napa Valley. Very close to dozens of award- winning wineries.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple