“Our Absolute Favorite!”

Madrigal Family Winery
Ranked #27 of 67 things to do in Calistoga
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: 3Rd Generation farmers in the Napa Valley, the Madrigal Family has been crafting small lot, premium wines since the early 90's. From vine to wine, Madrigal Family takes great joy in sharing tastings, family history and personalized tours. Our wines include: Petite Sirah, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sauvignon Blanc, Gewurztraminer, Tempranillo, Zinfandel, Bordeaux Blends, Cabernet Franc, Garnacha, and Petite Verdot.
York, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Our Absolute Favorite!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

We first visited Madrigal Vineyards several years ago while on a private wine tour. We return each time we are wine country. Chris Madrigal is so down to earth and so proud of his winery. If you are lucky enough to run into him during your visit, he will go out of his way to welcome you and proudly show you around, even taking you out to the vineyards to taste the grapes! We have introduced many of our friends to this great winery, it's great staff and oh so wonderful wines. It's like visiting an old friend! Cheers!

Visited March 2013

Easthampton, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“What a beautiful winery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

We had spent a wonderful week in Napa in April. While there we had enjoyed a private tour with Flex tours and our wonderful driver James suggested that we should check out Madrigal. With a lovely drive up the Silverado Trail we came across this wonderful winery, pleasantly greeted by Phoebe where upon she took us on a wonderful journey of their spectacular wines. Starting with a Sauvignon Blanc and working our way up to the Cabernet and then on to some reserve wines that are no longer available. We were so impressed with the amazing collection of wines that I felt no need to sample out any other winery for the duration of our trip. What a gem of a winery and we are so pleased we took James up on his advice to sample madrigal out. While I don't know the next time we'll make it back out to Napa considering we're coming from Massachusetts, we can still enjoy Madrigal since we became members of their wine club. So our journey continues!

Visited April 2013
Turlock, California
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

This was our best stop! It was our first on our second day. I think getting an early start was what put us at an advantage.
We were treated like royalty. Our guide was excellent, she spend a very good amount of time with us and gave us excellent service. She sat us outside at the bench and that felt like it was just us and no one else was important.

Thank you! I've recommended your place to everyone I know.

Visited February 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic winery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

The staff was knowledge , friendly, and make you feel like you are tasting wine in their home! The wines are fantastic from the whites to the reds. I love reds but the Sauvignon Blanc was superb. Cab lovers will not be disappointed. We even feel in love with the port. We visited on Sunday and had to bring friends back on Monday!!! Everyone enjoyed. Ask for Joel

Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“One of the best tastings ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

I have visited a LOT of wine tasting rooms. I lose track of the number, but I have been to Sonoma and Napa counties more often than I can recall, Willamette Valley, Livermore, the Santa Cruz Mountains, and Temecula a few times each, Santa Barbara, Paso Robles, Anderson Valley, Walla Walla, and the Sierra foothills once each, and some assorted others thrown in for good measure. This visit was one of my most enjoyable ever.

The two of us arrived about 10 minutes late for our appointment, but there was never any ill will about it. We were also using Calistoga tasting passports ($50 each) which are sometimes used by people looking to get as much "free" wine as possible, so we did not necessarily have "cred" going in. When they asked if I had tasted the wines before, I mentioned a 2007 cab that I had not opened yet. They immediately retrieved one from the cellar for us to taste while we were there. This was the first good sign of what would be a great tasting.

Over the next 80 minutes or so, Coco and another great guy in the tasting room (sorry for forgetting his name) talked with us, told us great stories, listened to our stories, and poured a lot of great wine tastes from almost everything available while we had a seated tasting. Of course, we were seriously tasting and dumping a lot (tasting responsibly) and we had a lot of experience in the area from which we could appreciate each others' stories. But still - 80 minutes of personal attention and great wine tastes? When we had not committed to buying anything? That is a great commitment to hospitality and customer service. I was so impressed with the wine and the hospitality that I joined the wine club which has a quite reasonable level of commitment.

About the wines - the Tempranillo is GREAT. The cabs are very nice. The reserve wines are quite tasty also - especially the Sonnet #63 and the single vineyard Barberis Petite Sirah.

I highly recommend a visit.

Visited January 2013