“Superb food and service”
Review of Lovina

Lovina
Reserve with OpenTable
Lovina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 44 Restaurants in Calistoga
Price range: US$15 - US$36
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Lovina is an intimate, locals' favorite restaurant in a historic Craftsman home on the main street of Calistoga- chef driven menu, local unique wine list, and the best heated patio in town! Formerly known as Calistoga Kitchen, we reopened as Lovina in 2018, named after an inspiring pioneer woman in Calistoga (Lovina Graves Cyrus.) Four local restaurateurs run this neighborhood gem specializing in chef driven menus and local wines. Join us on the heated patio in the historic "Antique District" of Calistoga's main street, the east end of Lincoln. We serve all day Thursdays-Mondays and are closed Tuesday/ Wednesday. Dogs are welcome on our patio, and there is a parking lot behind our building.
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Warm welcome, small place but we were fortunate to be seated quickly even without reservations (with many more great reviews this won't be easy on a Saturday night) with prompt, friendly and informative but not overdone or intrusive service. EVERY SINGLE DISH WAS EXCELLENT.

I was astounded at how beautifully each was presented and then in love when each flavor was so wonderfully balanced against another. The textures of the pastas and meats and fresh and gently cooked vegetables and even the precise mincing of the vegetables and meat in the soup were amazing. The wine list was a grace and comfort with only excellent local wines. Very little need to struggle to find something to complement the menu. My husband had the Toffanelli charbono. I'm not drinking alcohol this year so I had the floral tea; even that was great. Stout cast iron pot and gourmet quality herb tea. Perfect on a chilly night.

We started with a generous crab salad as gorgeously arranged as any I've ever seen with asparagus, lettuces, tiny tomatoes, avocado slices, herbs and a delicately applied dressing. Next was the duck soup; a mid-weight broth with that interesting mince of vegetables just the right size to taste each vegetable but so delicately done that it became artistic.

For main courses, because we are kind to each, we shared a plate of wild mushroom ravioli and a plate of roasted wild boar on a bed of paparadelli. The ravioli were hands down the best ravioli I've ever had. (I've been eating in the Napa Valley for 30 years.) They appeared as a surprising pile of grey mushroom cream sauce speckled with bits of bright red and green like Christmas lights shining on a gloomy night over plump fantastically tasty pasta and mushroom with hints of truffle and unknown but delicious other fungi. Never have I enjoyed a ravioli or mushroom dish as much as this. Superb flavors and textures.

The wild boar in a deep, rich sauce with spicy apples and dark greens was so tender and perfectly cooked and balanced just right against the papardelli which was absolutely fresh and al dente perfecto.

We were completely full as the quantities were right for two medium-sized diners to share a salad and soup and enjoy two entrees. We would have had dessert, but they were out of the chocolate lava cake and we really didn't want to stuff ourselves before dancing at the Hydro. But we'll be back, for certain...and we'll call ahead to reserve a piece of cake and a table!

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Good food was supported with a welcome at the door and hospitable hosts. We had the duck breast and the 'hanger steak' (a lean cut of beef I had never heard of). Wonderful fresh veggies and just cooked right. All in a wonderful setting. Well worth our walk on a cold January evening. Even bumped into host next day in town and was greeted in a friendly manner. Enjoyed our time in Calistoga.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We went to this restaurant by accident when our original restaurant did not have any good vegetarian options. We are glad we went! The Calistoga Kitchen is definitely the best we had in Calistoga and would be competitive in San Francisco. The only weak point was the dessert which wasn't bad, just not as great as the rest of the meal. We'll definitely go back again when we return to Calistoga.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Wanting my husband's birthday dinner to be perfect, I chose the Calistoga kitchen and couldn't be happier with the outcome. Our waiter was wonderfully attentive without being too present. And the food was simply delicious. Normally I steer clear of gnocchi, finding it too heavy, but something about the description pulled me in. What an amazing blend of texture and taste. Simply the best gnocchi I've ever tasted. Each course was a delight with a nice, albeit short but very reasonably priced wine list. After the meal Rick the chef came to each table to ask after our experience and my husband even received a birthday serenade from the next table. Overall a wonderful experience and we will absolutely come back.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

We enjoyed our dinner here, and both ordered the short rib. It was delicious. The mashed sweet potato was amazing. My mom had a bowl of the duck soup and it was tasty as well. :) Nice ambiance, too.