“Yummy, Yummy”
Review of Calistoga Kitchen

Calistoga Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Calistoga Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 44 Restaurants in Calistoga
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Los Gatos, California
“Yummy, Yummy”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We had Easter Breakfast on the patio. We went early at 10:00 am since it was just me and my hubby. It was wonderful! We were only in Calistoga for the weekend and loved this place. He had eggs which he liked and I had the most amazing french toast ever. It was made on walnut bread, thick and warm with hand made whipped cream and berries. The coffee was delicious and service excellent. I am sure we lucked out that we dined early because I am sure the lunch reservations were full. Another interesting fact about the "breakfast" menu is that it include lunch type items, a hamburger, BLT, rabbit enchiladas. I am sure dinner would be just as wonderful.

• Visited April 2014

Fort Myers, Florida
“Very good but don't know compared to others”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This was the first of two restaurants we got to try in Calistoga. I was so looking forward to this one and unfortunately it just didn't meet my high standards. It was good but when I compare ambience, service and food, it was only very good not excellent. The menu seemed limited and there wasn't anything over the top. I had such high hopes but while it was good, it was not the excellence that Napa Valley can do.

• Visited March 2014
Calistoga
“Superb food and service”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Warm welcome, small place but we were fortunate to be seated quickly even without reservations (with many more great reviews this won't be easy on a Saturday night) with prompt, friendly and informative but not overdone or intrusive service. EVERY SINGLE DISH WAS EXCELLENT.

I was astounded at how beautifully each was presented and then in love when each flavor was so wonderfully balanced against another. The textures of the pastas and meats and fresh and gently cooked vegetables and even the precise mincing of the vegetables and meat in the soup were amazing. The wine list was a grace and comfort with only excellent local wines. Very little need to struggle to find something to complement the menu. My husband had the Toffanelli charbono. I'm not drinking alcohol this year so I had the floral tea; even that was great. Stout cast iron pot and gourmet quality herb tea. Perfect on a chilly night.

We started with a generous crab salad as gorgeously arranged as any I've ever seen with asparagus, lettuces, tiny tomatoes, avocado slices, herbs and a delicately applied dressing. Next was the duck soup; a mid-weight broth with that interesting mince of vegetables just the right size to taste each vegetable but so delicately done that it became artistic.

For main courses, because we are kind to each, we shared a plate of wild mushroom ravioli and a plate of roasted wild boar on a bed of paparadelli. The ravioli were hands down the best ravioli I've ever had. (I've been eating in the Napa Valley for 30 years.) They appeared as a surprising pile of grey mushroom cream sauce speckled with bits of bright red and green like Christmas lights shining on a gloomy night over plump fantastically tasty pasta and mushroom with hints of truffle and unknown but delicious other fungi. Never have I enjoyed a ravioli or mushroom dish as much as this. Superb flavors and textures.

The wild boar in a deep, rich sauce with spicy apples and dark greens was so tender and perfectly cooked and balanced just right against the papardelli which was absolutely fresh and al dente perfecto.

We were completely full as the quantities were right for two medium-sized diners to share a salad and soup and enjoy two entrees. We would have had dessert, but they were out of the chocolate lava cake and we really didn't want to stuff ourselves before dancing at the Hydro. But we'll be back, for certain...and we'll call ahead to reserve a piece of cake and a table!

• Visited February 2014
“Hospitable and welcoming”
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

Good food was supported with a welcome at the door and hospitable hosts. We had the duck breast and the 'hanger steak' (a lean cut of beef I had never heard of). Wonderful fresh veggies and just cooked right. All in a wonderful setting. Well worth our walk on a cold January evening. Even bumped into host next day in town and was greeted in a friendly manner. Enjoyed our time in Calistoga.

Visited January 2014
San Francisco
“The Best in Calistoga”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We went to this restaurant by accident when our original restaurant did not have any good vegetarian options. We are glad we went! The Calistoga Kitchen is definitely the best we had in Calistoga and would be competitive in San Francisco. The only weak point was the dessert which wasn't bad, just not as great as the rest of the meal. We'll definitely go back again when we return to Calistoga.

• Visited December 2013