“Small restaurant with very good happy hour food”
Review of Barolo - CLOSED

Barolo
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Fairway
Description: Located in Calistoga in the heart of California's world famous Napa Valley, Barolo Italian Kitchen and Cocktails offers the best in contemporary Italian cuisine with a focus on local, seasonal and organic ingredients in a fun and eclectic atmosphere. Inspired by the traditions and cuisine of Italy, Chef Vince Sanchez is turning heads with his modern take on Italian classics. His cuisine incorporates local, seasonal produce, his fresh take on Italian comfort food is sure to delight. Urban sophistication meets Napa Valley sensibility in this unpretentious local gem of a restaurant. Alongside our abundant cocktails, we offer great local and imported wine selections at reasonable prices. With many drink specials, wine by the glass, bar bites and good times to be had, Barolo is surely the place to be. Looking for an inspired Italian menu for your birthday, wedding, company retreat dinner or private party? Barolo is a great location for intimate Italian dining or a vibrant Napa Valley after party. Please contact us for more information.
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stopped in for happy hour. The restaurant is small so I think reservations would be needed for dinner. Of all the restaurants in Calistoga that we ate in this is the best. They don't have a large happy hour menu but the food made up for it. The happy hour wines were also good. The risotto mozzarella ball was large and flavorful. Ordered the braised pork and beef meatball. This large meatball came with a red wine tomato sauce. It was tender and the sauce complimented it. I think the best was the polenta fries with tomato sauce. The polenta was crisp on the outside and creamy on the inside. The sauce was more like a marinara sauce. It was different than the tomato sauces in the other dishes. If we come back to Calistoga we would come here first to eat.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I feel like I was in a different place than all these reviewers. I picked this place because of the great reviews. I do not know what happened on Saturday night, but our food took an hour to arrive at the table. Our server did not even show up with the bread until after we were waiting 30 minutes. He made no suggestions or apologies and rushed us through ordering, etc.
I think the chef was on vacation because everyone in our party complained that the food had no flavor. That is a sad state of affairs for an Italian restaurant. Usually someone in a party of 6 likes their food, but no one did! What a waste of money.

2  Thank tennismom1
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We had salads and pizzas which were fine if not memorable. Service was attentive and friendly. Prices weren't out of line for a Wine Country restaurant. But the noise will make me think twice before I revisit. If I can't carry on a conversation with my dinner partner I'd rather stay home.

2  Thank Mike O
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Attached to the Mount View Hotel, it is has a really comfortable atmosphere. The Gnocchi was out of this world as was the Bruschetta. Service was excellent.

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

We went there last night. The atmosphere was fine although it was very noisy. Service was good, the owner's son was our waiter and he was charming. But the food really needs some help. I couldn't find anything on the menu that I was interested in, predominantly because many dishes had chili, and I can't tolerate hot spices for medical reasons. I wound up having just a side salad and an appetizer. The appetizer had so much bread and tasteless cheese. My husband's dish was
okay, so all is not lost. The best part of the whole meal was the gelato dessert, but not made by this restaurant.