“2014 Napa Vacation”

Napa Valley Wine Trolley and Castle Tour
Ranked #1 of 68 things to do in Calistoga
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Castello di Amorosa is one of Napa Valley's most unique wineries. At over 136,000 square feet, the authentically-built 13th-century Tuscan-style castle and winery offers a variety of tour options including Reserve wine tours, food and wine pairing tours and a cheese and wine tour. Castello di Amorosa makes a variety of award-winning wines from its location on the hillside above Calistoga. Try "Il Barone," the wine that Robert Parker rated 94 points. The Castello also produces Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer, Rose, Pinot Bianco, Sangiovese, Barbera, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Il Brigante blend, Cabernet Sauvignon, La Castellana Super Tuscan Blend, Il Raggio del Sole, Fantasia, Il Passito Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon and Late Harvest Gewurztraminer, the top dessert wine at the San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition for two consecutive years.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

This was suggested to us and we are glad we stopped. We took the basic tour and tasting with chocolate. Mark Peebles was our host for the tasting. If you can get Mark he has a great personality, very knowledgeable and very helpful. We had a very good time and recommend stopping on your trip.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,344)

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I planned to do the self guided tour with a little wine sampling at the end, but decided for another $15 I could get a better experience. I think your experience here will be based on your tour guide - there were a couple tours going at once and I believe my group got the best guide (Niccolo??...I may have spelled his name wrong). There are many stories about the castle that you don't learn by walking around or reading the literature. The other nice feature about this place is that it allows children. Those with families can also enjoy the place unlike most wineries.

The tasting at the end was fun also, as you picked from a nice list instead of the guide choosing for you (although he helped several choose if the asked for his recommendations). The one drawback...they don't ship to the state where I live, so I had to take bottles home with me. So I bought 6 to make it worth my while! :)

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Odd seeing this castle in Napa. I saw an ad for them in my hotel guide book so made an effort to stop by and take a look on my way to other wineries. First, this place was packed, lots of tourists there. Secondly, you can't get in just to get a quick peek, you have to pay, no exceptions. Of course, if you were ambitious and wanted to jump into a tour group like you belonged, see a little bit and then make for the exit past the guy selling the tours and giving you a dirty look then I guess you could. That would probably be enough to tell you that if you want to be herded around while on vacation in Napa instead of enjoying a quiet winery, then this is the place. The pig pen outside, while a nice nod to the days of yesteryear, really stunk. Maybe a good way to spend a few hours if you have kids with you.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Beautiful grounds- good wine -great for a half day trip- A little hard sale at the end, but very knowledgeable

Reviewed 2 May 2014

This place is totally awesome! Wonderful employees, beautiful grounds and some excellent wine. Love the selection of gifts offered, don't have enough room in my bags to take back to Hawaii!

1  Thank OhioMario