“no words enough to describe a dream”

Solage, an Auberge Resort
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I've been again and I'll be back again and again to the wonderful Solage Calistoga. I'm sure that here there's something magic in the air. You can find all the interior/exterior description in my last review but today I just want to thank all the Solage Calistoga staff to the warm welcome reserved to all the guests. Special thanks to Mr. Richard H. for the way in which he runs this enchanting place immersed in the beautiful nature of Napa Valley. If you want to live a really special experience in one of the most luxury place of the world but feeling yourself at home, you must visit Solage Calistoga and then give me a feedback pls. Can't wait to go back there again. Uploading some iPhone pictures...

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank thedeliciousworld
Write a ReviewReviews (1,003)

Reviewed 7 May 2012

The "cottage" style rooms, spread out among acres of land, make for a great wine country basecamp. Check in was quick, and we followed a golf cart with our own car to a parking spot right in front of our room.

Featuring a large bathroom, huge walk-in shower, private patio and two bikes, and high ceilings.

The onsite restaurant, Solbar, was actually kind of difficult to book (for no good reason). We called and were told no reservations are available, we were told we were the 9th group on the waitlist for that evening... After calling and getting nowhere, we went to the hotel front desk and had them call down again, and a table for 7PM showed up magically. When we actually made it to the restaurant, a dozen or more tables were completely unfilled the entire night. Unless they had NUMEROUS no shows, I don't quite understand why we were initially refused a reservation when we called?

Reviewed 26 April 2012

I was a recent guest at this property. The employees were as nice and as helpful as at any hotel that I have EVER stayed at. However, not sure the accomodations were worth the bang for the buck. There are no ice machines, you have to call for ice, and there is not much in the way of restaurants in the location, you have to go St. Helena to find nice restaurants, about 15 minutes away. Beautiful area and the spa at the property is very nice, not sure you get your bang for your buck, but a nice property right in the middle of Napa Valley.

Room Tip: Each of the rooms are there own separate bungalow if you will, with patios. I am not aware of any ro...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I'm a local to the Bay Area, and we enjoy heading up to Napa for short trips at high end places like Solage. So I feel I can give a good, balanced comparison of some options you may be cross-shopping up here for your trip.

There are three resorts we have visited that all seem to target a similar market/demographic. Solage is the newest of these three, and is targeting a price-range between, say, $500-$1000 per night in individual free-standing "studios", with lots of nice facilities and luxury.

The closest comparison is probably The Carneros Inn on the extreme opposite end of the Valley. Of the two, I think Solage is the winner. Its smaller and more intimate, and I think has the better location. Price-wise I think they tend to come out about the same. Both are clearly following the same template - modern-style construction, individual rooms, nice pool area, spa, restaurant, good service. I think Solage has the nicer spa, a few more nice service features, and a nicer little corner of the valley it occupies.

From the same operator and slightly higher-cost is Calistoga Ranch. Its a true "sister property" located a short hop away on the same road, but the focus at Calistoga Ranch is definitely more about privacy and pleasant surroundings, and less about the restaurant, spa, or pool facilities (although it has all those things). Calistoga Ranch is a bit older property, and a bit costlier generally.

For me, Calistoga Ranch is a very unique and relaxing place. The room designs are very unique with two portions of the room separated by an outdoor space, private hot-tubs, etc. And the sloped property with old growth trees, really feels like you've escaped everything. And its a smaller property which means more individual service, and more attention from the concierge.

But back to Solage. Having had previous experience with Auberge properties I expected pre-visit service in the form of emails with the concierge, spa, etc. This did happen, but I waiting a bit too long (day before) to make some requests, and the concierge was not able to make everything happen as smoothly as he could have if I had perhaps given more advance notice. I can't fault him here. He WAS able to get us dinner reservations at Solbar when it was fully booked, but not at our first choice of time.

The property itself was nice, very reminiscent of Carneros Inn in terms of architecture. Lots of white wood, modern lines, greenery. As with Carneros it still has a bit of a "tract housing" feel for me that doesn't project warmth, but its perfectly nice.

They have a rather odd solution to the "you can near your room" issue when checking in. One of the desk staff bikes to your room and you follow in your car. Felt weird, but I can't really suggest a better way. Carneros has the same issue and just simply didn't bother.

I think Solage is trying hard to meet that 5-star service level. Whenever you pass by staff on the property they say hello and greet you nicely (a very Four Seasons thing). However, I think they felt short a bit when the desk person who showed us to our room asked "Do you want me to show you to your room" or "can I help you with your bags". Its nit-picky, but I think to really hit the service level expected here they should just go ahead and do all these things and leave it to me to say no, rather than offering this as a "yes/no", because I think the subtext is always "please say no". Something for the next round of training!

We booked a Suite here because it offered a private hot-tub, and I was hoping for a fair comparison to our stay at Calistoga Ranch which has a preponderance of private-spa-equipped rooms. Also we find we get good value from this in our room. The spa and suite did not disappoint. Unexpectedly instead of a typical plastic & wood "Hot tub" it was a full-blown in-ground spa like you'd expect in the main pool area; very nice, high marks. We used it 3-4 times in a one night stay it was so hot, clean, and relaxing.

We were also pleased to find now one but TWO bottles of wine waiting on ice for us in the room, despite not ordering anything. One sparkling and one white, neither anything special but a nice touch and much preferred to a fruit place, especially in Napa. A good combination with the hot tub.

Other high notes - a chance to meet & chat with their Sommelier at 3pm on Saturdays (do it, very fun) and the cocktail menu & bartenders at Sol Bar. We ate at Sol Bar and the food was good, not epic. Service was good as well. I wouldn't say the restaurant was such a highlight that I would make a trip just for that. I DO wish I had spent more time trying different cocktails at the bar and the bar food menu looked REALLY exciting, I wish I had tried more of it. The bar & restaurant and both very nice, airy, and open and a pleasant place to hang out. Even if you're not staying here, I think its worth a visit if you're at the north end of the valley.

The Spa was nice, definitely a step above most resort spas in this area. Huge hot mineral water pool, great cabanas (limited number!). Any guest can use the spa facilities including the hot springs pool, which is comparable in size and much nicer than the "official" pool outside Sol Bar. There's a kids pool as well, which ironically is much smaller than, but much more heavily used than, the main pool. But either way, all the pools are nice, big, and well maintained.

The scenery here is good, not epic. Its in a nice narrow part of the valley so you have mountain views in any direction, but the resort itself doesn't have any elevation, so you don't get those great wide vistas you might get further up the slopes at like Calisoga Ranch or Auberge de Soleil.

So bottom line - which to choose next time? If you are looking to relax and be a bit anti-social, there is nothing like Calisotga Ranch. It feels very luxe, private, and relaxing. If you want a bit more activity, I would go with Solage over Carneros Inn. The service level feels a notch higher, the property is smaller and more private, and the facilities are all top-notch.

They also retained a lot of the amenities from Calistoga Ranch like free use of Mercedes Cars, the bikes, and generally excellent concierge service.

I still want to check out Meadowood and Auberge (the original property from this operator).

Room Tip: All the rooms are considered "studios" but the "suites" are slightly larger, nic...
11  Thank NSIInnerloop2
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We have been here a few times while attending a conference for my husband's company. The location is nicely set back on Silverado Trail but in very close proximity to the main street in Calistoga. Each room comes with 2 beach cruisers that you can ride into town or to some of the nearby wineries. If you're interested in biking to Calistoga wineries off the beaten track don't miss Tedeschi Family Winery.

The rooms are very modern, very comfortable and very private. Each room appears to have a nice covered veranda area off the bedroom with comfortable outdoor seating. Housekeeping comes through at least twice a day and keeps everything very clean and fully stocked. They do a nice job of keeping it upscale while focusing on recycling and "green" practices (i.e., rather than lots of throw away shampoo and lotion bottles, everything is in larger refillable pump bottles).

The grounds of the hotel and the pool areas are lovely. There is a lively bar with an adjacent bocce ball court that make for a fun happy hour or night cap. The food in the restaurant has always been very good when we've eaten there. My father lives in nearby St. Helena and goes to Solage for the food as well.

I would definitely recommend this place to couples or friends looking for a relaxing fun wine country get-away.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2012

My husband and I had the most enjoyable stay at the Solage. The property is beautiful, the pool is huge with great views, the breakfast has incredible food and the Bocce ball quart is a fun touch. The resort is a bike ride away from plenty of wineries and the resort provides the bikes! The rooms are huge and they come with private back yards. I didn't visit the Spa but I hear it is award winning. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here for an Anniversary and enjoyed it immensely. The location is a little far North, but there are plenty of Wineries in Calistoga to visit, and everything else was a car-ride away--and worth it! Our room was quiet and had nice modern amenities, the spa was well-done, and the fitness activities offered were above and beyond--there were reformer classes and hikes. The pool, bocce courts, and bicycles also added to the fun, and the bar area around Solbar had a nice, modern laid-back vibe. Every single person working there was super friendly and easy to talk to, which was appreciated. Although, unfortunately, we did not eat dinner at Solbar, we did eat breakfast there every morning and it was delicious, especially the lemon ricotta pancakes and the sol-pe. We loved our visit and would love to come back!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Hotel Yountville
#2 of 6 in Yountville
Wine Country Inn & Cottages
Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer
Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort

Been to Solage, an Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!