“The smell of paradise”

Solage, an Auberge Resort
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I know, I'm a Solage Calistoga addicted, but I want to add only some details to past reviews. This year the property has been renovated with some new furnitures in room as an amazing flat screen tv and other amenities, but they were just perfect before, yes, I know, but I deeply think that at Solage they want to surpass perfectiont to let the customers live an unique holiday experience and I can't wait to be there again soon. You can see all other details on my reviews on Solage Calistoga, my favourite hotel all around the world. You cannot miss Solage!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are perfect! Go and enjoy, I guarantee it.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank thedeliciousworld

Reviewed 24 May 2013

This is my third visit to Solage and it was just as wonderful as I remembered it. My previous visits have been during the winter months so this was my first time getting to take advantage of the outdoor amenities.

The hotel has several pools one of which is a large lap pool. They have comfy chairs and umbrellas surrounding the main pool and attendants ready to provide you with water, cocktails or a light lunch. Additionally, they have bocce courts and they provide guests with bicycles to tour around the property and ride into downtown Calistoga (which is only a few minutes up the road).

Additionally the hotel has a lovely fitness center and an AMAZING spa complete with mineral pools and a spa pool. In a prior stay I attended a spinning class at the fitness center and met a bunch of local winery owners.

The rooms themselves are like little cabins. In the winter it's definitely worth paying up for a room with a stove fireplace. Each room has a furnished back patio that is perfect for relaxing at the end of the day or having a nightcap before heading to bed.

Previously I've always stayed in a room with its own entranceway but this time my room shared an entranceway with another room. The downside to this was the noise level. The guests next door were frequently coming and going and you could hear the doors opening and closing which unfortunately was happening at all hours of the night.

The hotel has several Mercedes that they will loan out to guests on a first come first serve basis for several hours at a time. I was lucky enough to get an E550 convertible to drive around in on the last day of my stay. The car was super fun to drive up and down the Silverado Trail and was far nicer than my little rental car.

Lastly, the restaurant at the hotel is called Solbar and it is one of my favorite restaurants in the area. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner are all phenomenal. I can't say enough about the food and the service. When the weather is nice you can dine outside on the patio and it's just charming.

My stay at Solage was only for 2 nights this time and I was so reluctant to leave this serene and relaxing place. I’m already looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank luxurybarginlover
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We live in San Francisco and are frequent visitors to the wine country to our north, including renting a home in Sonoma a month in the summer, but nothing is as relaxing and delicious as a stay at Solage. The rooms are large, lovely and everything functions as it should. No need to call the front desk to figure out complicated shower controls, or to seek help regulating the air conditioning etc. The food, breakfast lunch and dinner is beyond expectations. The adult pool is hugh with comfortable seating and tons of towels. Luxury Link will save you money if you reserve through their web site. I feel like a spoiled brat complaining that the turn down service did not take place anywhere near the time we requested, but oh well...

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Barbara B
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I went with a friend and her twin toddlers and it was one of the best "resorts" that I've been to. Hard to know where to begin, so I'll start with the emails that we received even before arrival informing us of all the amenities available to us in the hotel. We booked everything, the Spa, the Solbar restaurant, the wine tasting and the nanny for the toddlers and everything was perfectly arranged when we arrived. On checking in, the reception staff were exceptionally friendly and provided us with maps of the resort and of the surrounding vineyards. We followed a member of staff in our car around to our little studio that was in a lovely spot slightly removed from the other rooms nestled at the back of the resort. Clearly they had taken into account the fact that we had very young children with us and hence it was better to be tucked away, where the noise from the children would cause the least disturbance. We had Atlas studio and the space was large enough to fit two cots/cribs for the babies and still have more than enough room to move around. There was a good minibar and small fridge and complimentary filter coffee and tea were provided along with free wifi. The bathroom was quite large with an open pebble floored shower with plenty of room and separate toilet. We had twin double beds that were extremely comfortable and since it was warm, the aircon was also nice to have. Each room/studio has two bikes outside that can be used both in the resort and can be taken out to the surrounding area, good if you imbibe in too much wine at the wineries!
The hotel has an enormous swimming pool that is for adults only and a large heated pool just for children right next to it, but completely separate. In the children's area they had a lovely warm spa pool to play in as well. There is a great gym and complimentary fitness classes (which we weren't able to take advantage of).
The first night at the Solbar Restaurant was so great that we chose to return there the next night, the food and wine menu were simply amazing and their cocktails were well worth a try. The servings were small but beautifully presented and tasted exquisite. The service was very attentive and the sommelier extremely knowledgeable of the local wines that we wanted to try. We chose to have breakfast in our room each day and this arrived sometimes not quite as efficiently as we would have liked, but there was a great choice and it was nice that we could just wake up in the morning and order rather than having to say what we wanted and when we wanted it the night before.
The next day we tried the Mudslide at the Spa, which is one of their signature treatments. As a rather shy person, I was a little worried at what this might involve but I needn't have worried as the rooms are all very private. On arrival you get to choose the scented oil that is going into your little mud bucket that you are given to take into a heated room. Once in the room, the attendant offers to either apply the mud to your back or you can choose to do it yourself. Then after this you lie on a heated tile bench until a discrete knock on the door which indicates that your twenty minutes soaking in the mud are up and it's time to shower off the mud and then move on to the next room. In the next room there are two tubs/baths filled with mineral water that you soak in for another twenty minutes. From there your attendant comes to take you into the next room in which there's a large reclining/vibrating chair that you lie on cocooned in a comforter, listening to music through headphones which is to fully relax you.
Overall the visit to the resort and spa was a wonderful experience and I will return again some time, and this time take my husband.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Just returned from my first trip to Solage but it will definitely not be my last ! This was a celebration with a group of girlfriends to commemorate my 50th Birthday and Solage more than exceeded our expectations.
The grounds of the resort are beautiful and immaculate. The rooms ( Atlas queen studios ) were spacious and comfortable. The spa was incredible, and I have been to many of the best spas around the world. The naturally heated mineral pool, spacious jacuzzi and steam room was an elegant outdoor setting where we spent many hours just chilling every morning before venturing out for an afternoon of wine tasting. The signature "mudslide" treatment is a must . After an essential oil laced mudbath follwed by a hot soak in a mineral bath you will be transported to another dimension when you experience the last part which is the anti gravity chair. Absolute bliss!!!
We also took advantage of the hotels amenity of free usage of the resorts two new Mercedes convertibles and ventured out to the beautiful countryside . What fun ! The concierge also set us up for a wonderful private tasting at one of the most special places the top of the mountain at Barnett winery which was amazing ! They even gave us a barrel tasting of their coveted Rattlesnake Cabernet for a birthday toast.
Our group agreed that an annual trip back to Solage is a must. If you are considering staying here just do it. Our only regret was our stay was too short !

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I have been to several spas. This was the best experience ever. The spa is top notch top to bottom. We chose a couples massage, followed by a Mud Slide. Can't tell you how wonderful it was. They staff is professional and very informative. My husband is a shy spa guy and he felt so comfortable and relaxed because the staff gave wonderful complete explanations of everything that was going to happen, especially during the Mud Slide. It is the BEST! Essential oil scented (pick you scent) mud and the most wonderful experience in a room that is purpose-built for the experience. The steam rooms scented with eucalyptus were amazing! The organic vodka and fresh fruit cocktail during the mineral bath soak was incredible. Will always include this in our itinerary. Lunch after our spa experience was incredible. Solbar was definitely in our top dining experiences for lunch and dinner.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Just got back from our second trip to Solage. This time we splurged on a Capella suite. The interior is well depicted in the hotel's photo gallery, two little rooms with a divider. The steam shower was great, the bath tub is huge. The patio is about three times the size of the smaller studios' patios, and is completely enclosed for privacy. The outdoor hot tub was great for star gazing after dinner, and a real luxury first thing in the morning with a cup of coffee. Pricey but super decadent! Overall Solage is our favorite place to stay in wine country, and we've stayed in a lot of places over the years!

Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank West2EastandBack
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Hotel Yountville
Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer
Vintage House
Vintage House
#5 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Solage, an Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!