“Great wine country escape”

Solage, an Auberge Resort
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Solage encapsulates the perfect wine country escape: great location surrounded by vineyards, rustic but modern lodging, a big pool, an awesome spa, and a very good restaurant. This place is truly hard to beat.

The resort is about a mile away from town and it is quite walkable. We took the opportunity to do long walks and explore the area. You can also bike or choose to sit back and relax. We are big fans of Meadowood in Napa, and Solage can more than hold its own and may even be better in some aspects.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Solage, an Auberge Resort

Reviewed 17 February 2014

If you just want to go to the spa, their
Hot stone and mud spa are the best. A plus is if you stay the night, comfortable bed,big flat screen, and wonderful service. Sol Bar has an excellent decor and food. The fire displays are amazing! My favorite was they have bikes for you to use in front of your room!

1  Thank Ellen R
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We enjoyed the spa, the restaurant and the grounds during an amazing evening way. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms are thoughtfully luxurious and come with two bikes. Really just stellar in every way.

2  Thank hwalk
Reviewed 10 February 2014

It just doesn't get any better. If you are looking for the best this is it. Absolutely everything exceeded or expectations. I know there are several good options in the valley but I can't imagine any are better than Solage. Get ready to be pampered and surprised.

1  Thank Ethan J
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This hotel is beyond amazing! I was so impressed with everything. .The staff, the food, and the spa was awesome! I have never experienced such amazing customer service in my life! The staff goes above and beyond, they are so kind and professional! The staff made my stay soooo much better! I will recommend this to everyone and I will definitely return. The food was fantastic! I can't say not 1 negative thing about this hotel. It was a blast!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Diana D
Reviewed 9 February 2014

It's hard to beat a weekend in Napa, but even more so with a stay at Solage Resort and Spa. The Howard Backen designed resort provides understated luxurious accommodations with a fabulous spa, pool and wellness facilities and an amazing chef. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Patton & Kather... J
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I have never written a negative review for a company in my life. As the CEO of a technology company I truly appreciate the seemingly endless challenges of running a business and know from first hand experience that when managing a large staff there is always a chance that things may fall through the cracks from time to time.

However, I reached my breaking point with Solage. I have never had a more negative experience with a "luxury" hotel in over two decades of travel across the world, which is why I am taking the time on a Saturday night to vociferously warn my fellow oneophiles to absolutely stay away from this hotel under all circumstances.

Let's start with the check in. We had called the front desk to let them know we'd be a bit late as we were stuck in traffic. We got in around 8pm and the front desk assured us that the restaurant would be open until 10pm. We checked into our room, which was located at the furtherest end of their property, only to find that it was infested with bugs. We immediately went back to the front desk and told them what we saw. They were unsympathetic and incredulously told us that they'd have to send someone to check it out before they'd move us to a different room! I was stunned. No apology, no urgency to get us in a different room, no offer to get us a drink while we waited, it seemed as if were inconveniencing them! Finally, after about 20 minutes, their attendant confirmed the infestation and they gave us another room. We put our bags down and went to the restaurant at 9pm only to find that they had just closed the doors for the evening! We knocked until a manager came and they informed us that the front desk should have told us that they don't close at 10pm, but they close whenever guests stop coming, and they decided to close at 8:55pm. My girlfriend and I were not happy. I asked if they could prepare something quick, sandwiches etc, and they said they could not because the cooks had left. Then they offered to give us the nut mix that they serve at the bar!!
My girlfriend and I gave up and returned to our room for the night, hoping that this would be the end of the horror story, but we were wrong.

The following day, I had booked massages for my girlfriend and I at the Spa. We arrived early, but were made to wait 20 minutes until they took us back. Not a big deal. After our massage, we were laying on the sun chairs in the adult pool, located at the sauna. It was about 5:30 pm and there was only one other couple in the pool. A waiter approached us and we both ordered cocktails. After about 15 minutes or so, we noticed that they other couple had left the pool, and that our drinks still hadn't arrived, so we waited for a few minutes and then a manager approached us. She told us that she cancelled our drink orders and requested that we leave so that they could close the adult pool early since there weren't any other patrons at the pool. I was absolutely livid. I reminded her that we were on vacation, spending $899/night to stay in their rooms, and I immediately requested that she bring her manager. She informed me that she was the manager of the Spa and I demanded that I speak with the general manager on site. My girlfriend and I, in our bathing suits, walked to the corporate office and waited outside to speak with manager. He was a young man and we knew he had been briefed about the situation by the spa manager. As he came out and I began telling him about the exchange with the spa manager. He immediately cut me off in the middle of my explanation and said that the spa manager does have a right to close early if they don't have any guests and that he was sorry that my drink order got cancelled without my knowledge and he offered to get us two complimentary drinks. I nearly lost it! I have never, in my two decades of travel, been treated so poorly by hotel staff. I told him that I would never return to his hotel, that I'd make sure I let everyone of my friends know not to go, and I told him that I'd let everyone on TripAdvisor know too.

I have been to Napa many, many times. It's a beautiful, enchanting place filled with dozens and dozens of high quality, customer centric hotels that will go out of their way to make sure you have a memorable experience. Solage is the absolute worst that Napa has to offer. Not only is the management terrible, but it is in the middle of nowhere with no scenic views (in fact, next to a big apartment complex that kills the whole "Napa" vibe), and most of the wineries are half an hour south.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel at all costs.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
44  Thank Samuel L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Auberge du Soleil
#6 of 6 in Yountville
Vintage House
Vintage House
#5 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Solage, an Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!