“Didn't want to leave!”

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
South Kingstown, Rhode Island
“Didn't want to leave!”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This property had been highly recommended by a friend who lives in the area and I am so glad I listened to her. We have traveled extensively and own a resort condo in the Turks and Caicos Islands, and this was by far was our best resort experience. Every step of the way our expectations were exceeded, from the accommodations themselves, to the bikes each cottage receives, to the front desk staff, to the Mercedes Benzes available for use, to the outstanding spa, to the award winning restaurant - I could go on and on. I literally did not want to leave. The only good thing about leaving is that I have every intention of returning!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I've been hearing and reading about Solage Calistoga for years but never had the right time to go. Finally I got three days of "just want to relax" time with my partner, and I decided to take the plunge: it was actually better than I'd hoped. The area is beautiful, of course. Service is basically perfect -- there was always someone there when I needed them, and they were always smiling, friendly, genuine, and immediately helpful. Our room/cabin was beautiful, but unfortunately it had a failed air conditioning unit, and on a day when the outside temperature was over 100 degrees. Maintenance was out immediately, and as soon as they realized it wasn't going to be a quick fix we got a call offering us an upgrade to a suite (which we took, of course). The suite rents for about 50% more than a regular room, and though I'd decided it was crazy expensive when I booked our room, I have to say I'd consider it on a future stay -- the extra space, the private patio and outdoor Jacuzzi, and the upgraded bathroom (steam, separate bath) were all comfortably luxurious and added to the experience. Solbar was another beats-my-expectations experience -- I'd read about it as well, but the combination of the food, the service and the environment was way nicer than I'd hoped. The only real disappointment I had was that the pool didn't have a deep end -- pretty minor. Great stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Katy, Texas
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed here in March 2010 during our second trip to Napa. We loved the "remoteness" from the crowded Napa Valley, but easily accessible. we did a package that included a meal at Solbar---yum! We like the "detached" hotel "rooms"...they're really individual cottages that provided lots of privacy. The two bikes that came with the room proved handy riding through the streets of Calistoga. we visited the Wine Garage, which we used to belong to as club members. We also used their spa for a couples' mud bath and massage...great way to rejuvenate any relationship!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Illinois
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We were referred by a travel agent to stay 2 nights during our 3 night trip to Napa. We arrived mid afternoon, and our room was not ready--that's ok. However, when we asked how long it would be, they did not know and did not offer to find out. They did not offer to take our luggage for us, but suggested we leave it in the car. They did not give us any options for where we should wait. We left the property after about 45 minutes and got a call about 2 hrs later saying out room was ready. When we re-checked in, no one offered to take luggage for us, but they said we could park close to our room. No one showed us to out room(we did find it!). We moved all out stuff ourselves. We figured everything out on our own regarding the room and most things about the resort. Key didn't work once and after a 5 minute walk back to the office, they gave us two more that didn't work. Service at restaurant was slow and personnel assigned to seat
patrons were unfriendly and
unaccommodating. We got the impression we were bothering them.

The resort was a nice place, for sure. However, we felt unwelcomed and unappreciated. I would expect less service at a lesser place. I expected more from Solage, based on previous reviews and the cost of the stay. We are not high maintenance travelers. We do expect better when we pay for better. Mediocre at best. We did stay elsewhere another
night in the area and had a phenomenal experience.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank WhensmynexttripIL
Richard H, General Manager at Solage, an Auberge Resort, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback and choosing us as your getaway destination.

I apologize your room wasn't ready upon your arrival. Our check- in time is at 4 p.m.

Our standard routine is to have bellman escort each guest to their room to familiarize them with their studio and the resort . I am sorry this didn't happen and can assure you I have shared with guest service to review with our team.

Thank you again for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated and valued.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Nestled in the heart of wine country, near Aubert and Markham Vineyards, you'll find a gem of a resort, Solage. The Staff is professional, welcoming and sincerely interested in your comfort. Amenities abound with its top-notch spa, pool, restaurant and bar. The pool is to-die-for--Olympic-sized and heated (most welcomed for my 4am swims!). Each room has it's own exterior entrance and may be a fair walk from the main office. However, golf-cart driving attendants, if available, will drive you to your room. For those bicyclists among us, each room has it's own set of bikes to utilize.
The room is well appointed with a butlers pantry where the coffee maker, tea pot, refrigerator and snacks are at the ready. The shower is large as is the marble vanity. Each room has it's own private patio with comfortable furnishings. The room can be rather dark at night even with all lights on. Also, there is no tub. I would definitely consider returning on my next trip to Calistoga.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Foodie4Certain
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I have found Solage to be a world within a world. A holiday, right here in my own town. Employees never fail to make us feel we are the most important people in the world. The food? Outstanding. Always!! The grounds, outdoor seating for Solbar, the pool, bocce ball court... all are beautifully landscaped and a joy to walk. And what a setting, located in Napa County's "upper valley" and surrounded by breathtaking views of the mountains. If you want to be absorbed into a relaxing atmosphere and feel totally pampered, this is the place! Thank you.
G. Hansen, Calistoga

Room Tip: This is not applicable since I am a local.