Solage, an Auberge Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa(Calistoga)
View Hotel
Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort(Calistoga)
EuroSpa & Inn(Calistoga)
1,036 results
All reviewssolbar restaurantsol barmudslide treatmentmud slideexercise classescruiser bikesthe lemon ricotta pancakesmichelin starwine countrynapa valleyspa poolturn down servicemain poolfitness centerprivate patiosilverado trailcomplimentary bikes
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 January 2009

We have been lucky enough to stay at some great hotels around the world. Some hotels live up to their billing (e.g., Raffles Beverly Hills; the Four Seasons at Whistler; the Four Seasons Aviara; the Park Hyatt in Chicago; Sandy Lane in Barbados; the Ritz-Carlton in Berlin); others fall short (e.g., Four Seasons Chicago); and still others exceed expectations (e.g., Conrad Indianapolis; Glasshouse in Edinburgh; Sofitel New York; Renaissance Chancery Court in London). The Solage Calistoga falls into this latter group.

The Solage is easily among our top 10 or 20 favorite hotels/resorts. We stayed in a King Studio. This room, which we assume is representative of others of its type, is beatifully designed (contemporary styling with original art) and very comfortable (open, high ceilings, great bed, and perhaps the best shower we've encountered in a hotel/resort). The customer service, grounds, and restaurant (Solbar) are also first-rate.

We can't recommend this place highly enough. Perhaps its only downside is that it's in Calistoga, which is several miles north of the heart of Napa Valley (e.g., all of the great restaurants in Yountville, including The French Laundry).

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cpgteg
Reviewed 3 January 2009

We stayed here for one night as part of a 7 day tour of Northern California.
I thought the service was great. We were greeted warmly at reception and wished a happy 1st anniversary. We asked about wineries to visit, and was given helpful advice from two different members of staff. When we checked out, the same woman served us and asked if we enjoyed our winery visits from the day before.
Our room was excellent. I was worried that I would think the decor was too 'cold' due to being so modern - but that was not the case at all. I liked the concrete floors. We stayed in an Adara studio and it was great. The fireplace in the room kicked out heat. The bathroom area was lovely and I didnt want to get out of the walk in shower! The robes provided are also awesome - really thick and soft. Our room overlooked a small oak grove which was nice.
I liked the touch of having the bikes available to use although we didnt get a chance to use them. We also didnt eat at the hotel - we ate in downtown Calistoga which is very close and left early the next day to drive to Yosemite Park.
This was the most expenisve hotel we stayed at at $400 + tax for one night. We stayed at two Ritz Carlton hotels during the same trip. I think this is a little on the expensive side, but the rooms and service were excellent. I would return.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lwilliams75
Reviewed 31 December 2008

Just spent 2 nights at Solage, and honestly find no reason to go back there. The facility is nice, the rooms are a touch cold, concrete floors, but all goes along with their green motif. Though I did find it that every night they brought bottled water to the room vs having filters in the rooms.

The positive, i booked the room when the rate was 400, they then lowered it on the webpage to 370, something i noticed while surfing the internet and they gave me the lowered rate, and the balance went to spend on food.

the negatives...many...There are many kinks that need to be worked out. The staff are very green. The are nice, not rude, but they lack experience. They don't give you a "warm" reception when you get there, tell you where all the facilities are etc, they just get you in and out it feels like. We had breakfast at Solbar, the food was great, but the service was sloppy. It was almost as if they forgot about us after they sat us. When i went to check out at 5am, the woman did not know how to use the system to run my bill. I understand 5am is early, but someone should be able to give me my final bill I assume. I also asked for a wake up call the night before and when i asked about it (thank god i set my blackberry) she said she was sorry she forgot. That could have been a disaster as i was flying out at 8am, and SFO is about 1.5 hrs away.

I'm not one to bad mouth many places, but if you are going to napa, even at low season rates I'd go somewhere else. There are plenty of other options. I do plan on emailing the property to see what they have to say.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank rangers23
Reviewed 11 December 2008

Over 60 employees were accomodated for two nights for a corporate meeting. At first, I was skeptical considering some of the negative comments from privacy issues to "their house rules", however the property did a fantastic job in servicing our conference. Before check-in and even before the official meeting commenced the next morning, I was allowed for no extra charge to use the Luna room to have a staff meeting with 4 people.

Although relatively a new property, the staff is dedicated and committed to high service from check in through check out. Although the rooms are energy efficient and quite modern emphasing green (carbon footprint reductions), the detached rooms/townhomes are very private - unless you decide to sit outside on your patio, as their are still new plantings that will take a while to create privacy spaces. The only criticism of the room is the heat registers are in the ceiling and do not get the heat down to the floor level as good as could be. The room and bathroom/shower consequently were never toasty especially when it was 32 degrees outside in December in early morning.

The service during the conference, such as water, coffee, muffins and even the breakfast was good and attention to detail was noted. Overall all employees we encountered were extremely polite.

If you are planning a group meeting/conference , Solage is the way to go- especially when out of towners are part of the group. You are within 10- 15 minutes of St. Helena, Rutherford and very close to Lincoln Ave in Calistoga.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank TravelingMan3
Reviewed 12 November 2008

Went there with my girlfriend for a nice romantic, relaxing getaway and this place hit the spot. Check in was very smooth. Our studio was impeccable, clean, and fit our modern style just right. We got the couples mudslide treatment along with couples massages and both were excellent. Definitely recommend the mudslide if you haven't tried it as its an interesting and fun experience. The food at the SolBar was very good and a nice end to the spa day. The staff was very friendly and helpful, directing us to local wineries and also allowing us to use the bathhouse on the day we didn't have a treatment.

All and all, an amazing weekend and we plan to come back again.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple