“I've been around the world and have...”

Solage, an Auberge Resort
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Columbus, Ohio
“I've been around the world and have...”
Reviewed 3 September 2010

I've been around the world and have frequented many wonderful hotels and resorts, however, Solage is hands down my new favorite destination! There is no better place to get lost and relax than this. Truly incredible. Pricey? A little- but worth every penny. During our 2 night stay, we never left the property. There's really no need to. World class, drinks, dining and service awaits. Did I mention the pool?? 'Nuf said :-)

• Stayed August 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Weston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 August 2010

Stayed August 24&25. Lovely well planned and executed individual cottage. Silence reigns supreme. Actually don't think I have slept so well in months. We meant to visit wineries but instead languished on our terrace and watched the hummingbirds or meandered over to the excellent restaurant to dine. The cruising bikes are a huge plus and we ended up going along many nearby lanes and seeing the vineyards up very close.
I ordered ice to be delivered but they couldn't find a top for the bucket. I voiced the concern that the ice would melt and I really liked ice water to sip if I woke up. We went to dinner ,returned and there was a fresh bucket of ice for me to make it through the night.. Never needed that ice as I slept so soundly. A wonderful yet pricey resort. I think it was worth it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 27 August 2010

My fiance and I stayed at Solage for a few days on a week long "drive up the coast" trip we took. It was a beautiful place with excellent service. The poolside service was wonderful. They serve you a large carafe of lemon water and tend to every need. I did several yoga classes that were wonderful and in a beautiful room that had an open wall that overlooked a beautiful oak tree. The food in the restaurant was amazing. I enjoyed all the details in the rooms. A coffee maker that grinds the beans, a tea maker.....and leaving a small bottle of fresh minted water at turn down was a great touch. We took advantage of the bike cruisers and rode into the little town of Calistoga each morning for coffee and even to some of the closer vineyards. We will definately return.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Austin
Reviewed 22 August 2010

Let me preface by saying that I normally go solo on spa resort excursions. This being a family vacation meant that total self-indulgence was out and family together time was the order of the day. And with an 8 year old in tow, there were definitely other considerations as well. My worry was that the place would be too high end for the type of relaxing casual family escape we were looking for, but a friend of mine who had been there before assured me otherwise.

The first good vibe was the conversation I had with the lady assisting with the spa reservations. She didn’t have that curt used to catering to elites only type demeanor – she was very nice and patient with my questions. So I was at least able to book my 50 minutes of ‘me’ time : )

From the moment we arrived, everyone from the front desk to the rest of the staff was very welcoming. My daughter was zipping a refreshing drink when I walked back to the car from check in, and the gentleman who brought our luggage in was quite easy going which quickly put us at ease.

We had the opportunity to stay at the Capella suite for our one night stay in Calistoga and upon first inspection, the furnishings and the layout was definitely to our taste. The place actually felt like home but with the upgrades my husband and I had been talking about undertaking in our own home -the spa outside, the stream shower and other nice touches here and there. Our suite had a private back patio with a hot tub with the soothing sound of the fountain lulling us further to bliss. There were just numerous nooks and crannies that begged to be discovered and enjoyed inside and outside our quarters. The ground’s landscaping and structures blended harmoniously in a very low key fashion – it was a very restful sight that was a prelude to de-cluttering the mind and leaving behind all your woes and work stressors. The two bicycles by the door were among the touches that underscored eco consciousness – back to nature and simple times.

We didn’t expect this treat but we were given a welcome wine bottle and cheese plate which we availed of outside the patio – yum! Shortly after, the kiddo was eager to swim after playing planes, trains and automobiles for over 7 hours. On the way to the pool, my husband and daughter played one round of bocce which my daughter actually won since she had a softer touch - hehe. We then went swimming in the children area – they had a few floaties lying around and my daughter had fun stacking them and pretending she was in a sea plane rescuing other shipwrecked floaties - and here I thought she was tired of traveling. My husband and I swam and lounged enjoying the wonderfully cool weather – we came from Austin’s 96 to 106 degree heat blast. The lady who took care of our drinks was prompt and attentive though we really didn’t stay too long as it was starting to get late.

We did have a chance to walk around the premises – that in itself was pretty relaxing as well. A few couples riding their bikes passed us by. Back in our unit, we soaked for about half an hour in the spa and tried the steam shower – very soothing with the pebbles massaging the soles of our feet. The turn down service was great as well – next thing we knew the sofa was turned into a bed with our child snugly tucked in watching TV, the fireplace was burning and life was good. And the robes – WOW it was like being cocooned in pillows – soo soft and heavenly. Hubby was so nice to give his up to my daughter and she wore hers the entire night and walked around like a snow empress.

We would have loved to have made reservations at the Solbar but we instead decided to venture out for meals as we liked walking around town and sampling local eateries and pubs. Had a very pleasant meal at the Hydro Grill and enjoyed the local brew. I tried the pomegranate beer – that was pleasantly refreshing and my husband like his beer as well. The food was also very good. The place we had breakfast at the following day was not very memorable.

I did get my hour and a half of self-pampering at the spa where I had ample time to check in, unwind in the steam room and mineral pool before and after my 50 minute shiatsu and Swedish massage. I had scheduled it an hour before our check out from the resort. That experience, though short-lived, would be my personal favorite. My ‘Calgon take me away’ moment – my therapist was really great and I must have been reduced to melted goo on that massage table as I had a hard time peeling myself off - I wished for time to just stand still.

Checkout was fast, hassle free. On our way out we saw a riotous color of Lambourginis neatly parked in a row at the lot – you don’t see that every day! Overall, the stay just felt so short - Solage really should be enjoyed at a more leisurely pace, two or more nights would be preferable especially for first timers to the Calistoga area. I wished to avail more of the spa services, the highly rated Solbar and ventured to some of the local wineries but alas we had a long travel to Monterey for our next destination. It felt like we ordered a sampler plate when everything should have been savored as entrees. But I guess that is what next time is for.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2010

We can't speak highly enough of Solage. From the moment we booked, until the moment we left they made us feel special, and really couldn't do enough for us.

Firstly several weeks before we arrived I was contacted by the concierge, Tyson, who helped me with making personal recommendations and arrangements for wineries and restaurants. And he knew his stuff too, asking about what wines we preferred and what experiences we were looking for; and as a result of this some of the wineries he suggested that I'd never heard of before are now amongst my favourites. Tyson also helped me make a last minute reservation for a local winery (Reverie) whilst my better half had a spa treatment, where I got to tour with the assistant winemaker one on one - which was a great experience.

This great service continued when we checked in; when we were given refreshments and made to feel very welcome at reception whilst we registered. To be honest the whole process was so quick that we didn't get to finish them, but that didn't matter.

We were quickly taken to our room by one of the check-in staff who cycled ahead of us as we drove through the property to the room itself which was luxurious, well designed and modern - there was even a complementary bottle of Napa Valley Chardonnay and some nibbles waiting for us on our arrival. The beds were tremendously comfortable, and very restful; at night the property was very quiet and we were never disturbed once. We also loved sitting out in the evening on our private patio staring up at the stars with a glass of Napa Valley wine. The night sky there is so amazingly clear (due to the lack of light pollution and altitude I'd guess).

Our room rate included breakfast, so we ate at SolBar every morning for 3 days, each time trying something different each (so all in we tried 6 different breakfast options). Each one was freshly prepared, and really good - my personal favourite was the lemon-ricotta pancakes; but everything was of an equally high standard, as of course was the service. We also ate at the bar in the restaurant one night for dinner, trying the 'lucky pig' which was a really unusual and fun meal; and the staff showed us how to play bocce ball afterwards (we'd always wondered, as it's not something we're familiar with this side of the pond).

We booked a couples package at the spa, which included a 'mudslide' and a massage. Choosing from the menu of different mud aromas was not something I was expecting beforehand, but it was a really rejuvenating and relaxing experience, which we both thoroughly enjoyed. The spa staff were friendly and professional, and we always felt in good hands (sometimes literally!). We also had use of the geothermal mineral pools included in our rate, which we enjoyed as it was a little closer to our room than the main pool area.

That's not to say we didn't use the main pool. because we did; and we liked that they have both an adults pool and an area for families - the poolside service was also faultless.

The cruiser bikes are a nice feature. We would use them to get around the property, going to breakfast, the spa or the pool etc, and we even went for a ride a little further afield on them to a few of the neighbouring wineries, and into Calistoga itself which was a lot of fun. We also liked the minted water that housekeeping would leave every night as part of the turndown service.

At the end of our stay we were sad to leave, but the great service didn't finish there. After we'd checked out we were getting into our car to leave and the valet approached us and asked us if we needed any bottled water for our onward journey (it was a hot day), and he went off to get us some; which was a nice touch that showed genuine customer care.

For us, the service at Solage sets it apart from its' competitors; it's welcoming, and unfussy, and in no way obtrusive or overbearing and we'll go back without a seconds hesitation.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
walnut creek
Reviewed 6 August 2010

The food and service is wonderful! I have visted my highend hotels and nothing matched the service that we received at solage! Everyone was so pleasant and happy to assist you. The food at Solage was wonderful, you must try the lemon ricotta pancakes for breakfast and the soft taco's for lunch pared with a mojito!!! The Best Mojito I have ever had, filled with mint and not to sweet.

Our cottage was decoracted with eco friendly touches and tastefully done. The cottages are set within a beautifully landscaped grounds.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Cape Cod, MA
Reviewed 5 August 2010

If you're not convinced from all the high praising reviews here's another...Of all the places I've stayed in wine country, this is at the top of the list. They truly understand "service" and every encounter we had with the staff and facilities proved that someone is doing a fine job setting a high standard.

The rooms are immaculate with a clean, modern design with everything you'd expect at a five star resort. Love the cottage style layout (nobody above or below).

The pool...... man o' man! If you're a swimmer, you're gonna love it. 40 meters in length. Unbelievable! Almost double the length of a standard Olympic sized-pool. Not too heavy on the chlorine, either. Lap swimming at it's finest! And they have a separate kiddie pool. So, no screaming kids or leaking diapers in the water. :)

Ditto for the gym. Nice facility with quality equipment. And an incentive to work off all the wine and dinners...

The spa is beautifully designed. Serene. Did the couples mud slide and it was a trip! Not a standard mud bath at all. Blissed out to the max.

Only gripe: had read complaints about the landscaping and thought, someone's being a persnickety ----, but I have to agree. Our patio had no privacy and looked out on to dried-out mulch with minimal, small plantings. I don't think this is a case of waiting for maturing growth. It'll still be sparse. In this verdant valley? Add some plantings to form a hedge around the outdoor spaces (some units have that, but not many).

Also, we were there Tues. - Fri., it was definitely not full capacity, and mellow just the way I like it. Wonder what the place would be like if it were totally booked... But, we'll definitely return to find out.

Final note: if you arrive late like we did and head into Calistoga expecting to get some dinner, every place will be closed around nine on a Tuesday night. Didn't help that Solage stops room service at nine, as well.

Almost knocked off a star for the limited room service hours and landscaping, but it's rare for me to leave a hotel feeling so satisfied, I couldn't.

• Stayed July 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Auberge du Soleil
#5 of 6 in Yountville
Vintage Inn
Vintage Inn
#4 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Solage, an Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!