“This place is going to be gorgeous when it is complete!”

Solage, an Auberge Resort
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed 15 August 2007

After seeing so many negative reviews, and then driving in and seeing fairly sparse landscaping and rather sterile looking buildings, I wasn't expecting much. But, one of our friends is a member here and got us a really good discount on the room, so we decided to take our chances. We are used to 5-star accommodations, so our bar is pretty high. Once we got to our room, we were really pleasantly surprised. The room is just the basic Vega studio and it is really big and comfortable. The decor is extremely modern. The floors are bare cement! Everything was very clean and all the amenities were there. The outdoor patio is really nice. The room is very well sound-proofed. There is a dock for an iPod so you can hook your music into the stereo system. There is a pool that is almost Olympic-sized as well as a smaller family pool where younger kids can swim. I think the big pool is 50 yards, but not a full 25 meters across. The staff is very professional and goes out of their way to be helpful and welcoming. The SolBar restaurant has a really well-rounded menu and the food is good. The continental breakfast that comes with the room is all carbs, but lots of bread choices, bagels, fruit, and cereal. When we come back to Napa, we will definitely stay here again. I'm interested to see how this place looks in about 5 years after the landscaping is mature; I'll bet it will be gorgeous! This isn't as plush as Meadowood, but at the same time, the price is much less. I think that for the cost, this is a 5-star resort.

2  Thank pamela6

Reviewed 9 August 2007

Just came back from Solage and decided it was time to write my first Tripadvisor review considering how often I rely on other people's reviews. We (my sisters and mom) were there just one night and two days and I really appreciated that. Unlike the other Napa resorts, Solage was willing to do a one night booking. (I'm guessing that will change as soon as the place takes off.)

I see that others rated the hotel negatively due to the fact that the landscaping hasn't grown in and construction is not completely finished. It took me awhile to figure out, but I think the whole point behind Solage (Sol as in "sun"-get it?) is to be sort of a pro-environment resort. Each room comes with 2 adorable bicycles so that instead of driving into town, you just take a 10 minute bike ride. There are solar panels on the main building; the showers have open doors and stone floors; and the landscape is sort of desert-like. Olive trees and grasses, etc. I really liked it, but if you don't appreciate that look, the place will not be for you. I happened to really like it.

The rooms are beautifully decorated and the bathroom and products were great. But the thing that sets the resort apart is the service. I felt like there were about 3 employees per guest. When I asked about the gym, the guy working at the pool escorted me to the beautiful gym and introduced me to the lovely man who was running it. Lunch at the pool was served quickly and we are asked frequently if there was anything else we needed.

The guys at the pool bar brought my mother a bunch of magazines without being asked when it became clear that she had no intention of putting on her bathing suit that she last wore when the Beatles were in town.

We were each given complimentary massages by the pool (I guess to make up for the fact that the spa hadn't opened, but we had been warned about that so I wasn't expecting anything.)

Overall a great experience and I can't wait to go back with my husband!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank Bellcanyongirl
Reviewed 8 August 2007

Wow...we were really happy with this new resort in Napa. We finally got away for four nights in the wine country. As much as this place is still working on some of the exterior landscaping and such, the restaurant, the pools, the rooms---were all fabulous! "Solbar"--their restaurant has delish food...something for everyone (and I'm really picky.) We thought it was a nice change from all of the fancy options in Napa. The chef has a pretty impressive resume, which is what drove us to check this place out. The staff is young, but were eager to please and it's obvious that they were working hard to take care of us. We stayed in a "Vega"room--sleek, but comfy- kind of reminded us of a W. We took our bikes that came with our room and rode into Calistoga (5 minutes away) We found the town to be welcoming and pretty laid back. We tried to book spa appointments, but their spa opens later this month. They were entirely apologetic about it not being open. We had massages in our room and still felt like royalty. We were disappointed to see some reviews of people outwardly bashing this new business. We will return, because this place is going to just keep getting better!

1  Thank travelinalways
Reviewed 7 August 2007

I couldn’t have had a more relaxing trip to the Napa Valley. The hotel was wonderful and they treated us like we were royalty. The staff was continuously coming up to us and asking what we needed and wanted to make sure we had everything. When we first drove in to the hotel the landscaping was a little barren due to the fact that the hotel was new. But at night, with the lights and the fountains on, it really made the resort look beautiful. Our experience started off perfect from checking in and being greeted by a very hospitable staff, to getting wine left in our room with an itinerary from Linda the concierge of what to do in the area, and free coupons to local wineries. Von Strasser was my favorite. We loved the personal tour Jordan gave us and the wines were spectacular. I think the location was great. We love the town of Calistoga.

We felt the hotel provided many services and products complimentary that other hotels and resorts charge. For example, free bottled water in the room, and Yoga and Pilates lessons. The gym was first class with brand new equipment.

The restaurant, Solbar, was outrageous. We sat outside, surrounded by artwork, a fountain with fire coming out from the middle, and a fireplace made of metal pipes intertwined to resemble grape vines. The chef Brandon Sharp, formally from The French Laundry, prepared wonderful courses that looked beautiful and tasted wonderful. The pricing was moderate. We had crispy crust Pertrale Sole with Lemon Garlic Risotto and Broccoli Rabe, Riverdog Farms Tomato Salad with Goat Cheese Bocconcini and Fino Verde Basil. The short Ribs were wonderful. All the pastry and breads and muffins were home made. Even the continental breakfast was wonderful serving berries, muffins and wonderful coffee. Everything was first class.

As I sat by the pool the group sales manager, Sarah Rector and Don Catalano, from another department, came by to make sure we were happy. The only thing that was missing was that the spa was not open yet. It is expected to be open by the end of August. We are looking forward to coming back.

1  Thank LaurenGCalifornia
Reviewed 6 August 2007

We're just completing a week-end stay at Solage and are very happy that we came. Like others, the negative reviews almost kept us away. But luckily we weren't deterred. The service was great, the setting is very pleasant and convenient, the bikes are fun, the pool is amazing, the restaurant is excellent, our room was well-appointed, spacious and nicely designed . . . . Sure, there are signs that the place isn't fully up and running, but the pros far outweigh the cons. We definitely will be back.

1  Thank Bluetoad
Reviewed 5 August 2007

My boyfriend and I have been here at Solage Calistoga this weekend. I thought due to Solage being so new there may not be any reviews yet, I should get online and share my thoughts. I was shocked to see how many responses for a resort only being open two weeks. However, I was alarmed by the few bad reviews. We come to Napa/Sonoma at least once a month we are a gay couple from the city my boyfriend an attorney and I'm a stressed out businessman. We LOVED Solage!!! There is nothing like it in Napa. The staff really cared about our experience and have been very attentive. The scene is amazing we felt like we were in South Beach or Scottsdale. The rooms are so refreshing and spacious. The gym and yoga studio were the best of any resort we have experienced. The restaurant/food was fantastic. They provide bicycles outside every room we have had a blast . The main areas of the property are beautiful. Yes the outer edges of the property still need some landscaping but we were told that when we called for reservations. I say to everyone have you ever been to a new resort that looked like the landscaping was two years old? I haven't and did not expect it. If you live in the area or travel here frequently I'm sure you will agree with me when I say, " I'm so glad Solage Calistoga is here. We loved it!!!"

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank Frequenttraveler35
Reviewed 2 August 2007

Seriously, folks! Why all the bad press? From the reviews I've read up to this point I was nervous to keep my reservation. But I am so pleased with what I found when I got here that I am writing this review while still at the property. Let me start by saying, I am a seasoned traveler and have stayed at other Auberge properties such as Auberge du Soleil and Calistoga Ranch, so I know the caliber people are expecting. But this property isn't advertising itself as an ultra deluxe experience. They are offering you quality, innovation and contemporary and that's what you'll get if you come here.

I arrived at the property today and was enthusiastically greeted by a bellman. He walked me into the small reception area, where again I was warmly greeted and immediately offered a cold glass of strawberry lemonade (which was delicious, by the way).

I was promptly checked in and handed over to the bellman to guide me to my room. While I was in the reception area, the bellman had lowered the windows of my car to keep it from overheating as it was quite warm this afternoon. He got on his cruiser bike (which I think is fun!) and rode ahead of me and directed me into a parking place adjacent to my room.

Yes, the perimeter of the property is not more than dirt mounds, but the interior areas of the property are beautifully planted with specimen olive trees, lavender and other plantings that will be gorgeous as they mature (not to mention sweet smelling). The fountain in the courtyards weren’t running, but when they do turn them on, it will be a very peaceful addition to the outside living rooms.

I was brought into my very stylish studio, shown around, asked if I needed anything, and then was left to settle in. The whole property is wi-fi accessed, the flatscreen tv is IPod capable and there is a DVD player (though the property has no DVDs to loan at this time).

I sat out on my patio for a while. It was very peaceful and quiet. As I was up here to work on a writing project, I collected my laptop and went to the pool. Folks.the pool area is completely impressive! The pool is 3 feet shy of Olympic size. There are gorgeous chaise lounges, tables, a shaded bar area and a separate children’s pool are with toys. There are tubs filled with ice and water bottles for the taking, and thick towels beautifully stacked at the entrance. And to top it off, there are wonderful cabanas with couches, chairs and tables. There was even a power strip in the cabana for me to plug my laptop into.

I was visited no fewer than 3 times by Ashley (the pool girl) to refill my lemonade glass, bring me glass of ice for my bottled water, another chilled bottle of water later on and get this....an electric fan to cool down the cabana while I worked! This is a disappointing property to some of you??? I don't get it. Later as the sun was setting, one of the bellmen was walking around the pool area checking on guests to see if they needed anything. He secured the flap of my cabana which kept blowing back causing the setting sun to stream into the cabana and onto my computer screen.

Almost done here. I’ve got to mention the restaurant, SolBar. My husband and I had dinner at the restaurant on property and it was seriously delicious! The decor is amazing. It's hard to decide whether to eat inside or out. There is a fireplace inside that is like artwork, and the fireplace outside is surrounded by water...beautiful. The hostess was very accommodating; we started out by sitting outside, but we got chilly and she happily moved us inside.

We shared the sliders and pork buns for starters and I tried one of their new specialty drinks with fresh fruit which was very refreshing. Our entrees were also very delicious. I had the sole and my husband had the short ribs. Oh, and the buns and corn muffins in the bread basket are melt in your mouth delicious.

I know, I'm waxing on about this place, but I think Solage Calistoga deserves a big, giant thumbs up to counteract the sour grapes reviews that have mostly been written to date.

While there is still some construction being done (too bad the spa isn't open) the fitness room and the movement studio are state of the art. They offer Pilates, boot camp and spinning classes daily. Oh, and did I mention the pair of cruiser bikes parked outside the door (with a pair of bike helmets in the closet of the room)?

My only complaint? My "Sol guide" never followed through with our phone exchanges about arranging a massage for me. Apparently, roles were reassigned and whoever was to follow up with me didn't. Not the end of the world.

Would I come back? Absolutely. This place will go the way of other Auberge properties. When Calistoga Ranch opened a few years back my husband and I were some of the first to visit. The staff was far more disorganized and confused than some people have commented on about those at this property...and look what people are saying about Calistoga Ranch now.

If you want an established property, stay at one. If you want to be some of the first folks to try something new and different, get on the phone! They are offering a special price right now M-TH for a studio so make sure you ask for that promotion when you call. I think the offer is good through September....breakfast included.

Happy Travels!

4  Thank SBCH
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Auberge du Soleil
Villagio Inn and Spa
Villagio Inn and Spa
#6 of 6 in Yountville
Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort

Been to Solage, an Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!