“Pleasant Stay”

Ranked #7 of 27 Calistoga B&B and Inns
San Francisco Bay Area
“Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I took a quick getaway to The Craftsman Inn. The property, while set right off the main highway, was very quiet. My room faced the street but the noise was not excessive at night.

The room was pleasant, if not a bit stark. The bathroom was light, airy with wonderful L'Occitane products, cozy robes and plush towels. The shower head didn't move and the shower stall was quite small so I couldn't escape it raining on my head!

My only minor complaint was my arrival and welcome. The proprietor seemed rushed and wasn't really thorough in orienting me to the property. There were lovely cookies in the room but I would not have known that if I hadn't poked around and found them next to the sherry bottle.

Perhaps a welcome letter explaining the amenities (where water bottles were located, treats in the room, internet password in case you forget, etc.) would have been nice additional touches.

However overall a fine experience.

Breakfast was plentiful and varied and the server was really friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
WineWayInnOwners, Owner at The Craftsman Inn, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Thanks for staying and sorry if I didn't give you a thorough introduction to the Inn. Sometimes guest come all together and it may be that I was rushing off to help somebody else who was waiting. I should have checked back in with you to ensure you had everything you needed.

That is a good suggestion to leave a note or something with a ready reference of all the amenities, Nick and I are looking at iPads for all the rooms that would have that information.

Anyway, I do hope now you know what we have we will be able to welcome you back again.

Regards,

Gillian

Nick and Gillian Kite - Innkeepers/Owners
Contact: The Craftsman Inn at:
1213 Foothill Boulevard - Calistoga, CA 94515
Phone: 707-341-3035

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Great place. Fantastic location in Calistoga, within walking distance of everything in the town and also great location to tour some wineries. The accomodation is superb - clean, high standard finish and very peaceful. The breakfasts were just amazing! I was in foodie heaven. We got a very warm welcome and were made to feel at home, the place had a laid back comfortable feel. Owners gave some very good recommendations and I've already recommended this place to numerous people. I'd definitely come back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dayton, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 29 April 2013

A client booked me to stay at the Craftsman Inn and so I didn't know what to expect when I arrived. I was photographing a wedding in the Napa Valley and I had lots of equipment. Each morning I woke up I enjoyed some of the best breakfast food I have ever eaten. They had fresh fruit, (home made?) yogurt, meat, eggs, baked scones and savory pastries. The most wonderful thing was called Bread and Butter Pudding. You can buy all of their recipes in a beautiful color book if you love the food as much as I did.
The owners were kind and down-to-earth but extremely professional. Great location and beautiful rooms.
The room I stayed in was spacious, very clean and beautifully decorated. The bathroom was bright and inviting. It has been modernized but still maintains it's classic beauty. I felt very at home at the Craftsman Inn.
The beds were amazing, like gigantic down pillows. You also have alcoholic drinks available and included in the price of the room. We had a whole pitcher of sherry in our room.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Saratoga, California
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This is the second time we have stayed here and it will probably not be the last. Since there are only 5 rooms, the number of guests are limited. We came up for my birthday and stayed for 2 nights. The location is walking distance from great restaurants and the room was quiet and clean. Complementary wine in the afternoon in the living room with complementary sherry and homemade cookies in your room. The breakfasts were different each morning and each was awesome - not your typical B&B. We really enjoyed talking with the other guest at the breakfast table and sharing our travel experiences.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Avalon, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 March 2013

We had a wonderful time on our 2 night stay at the craftsman inn. The owners couldn't have been more accommodating and the breakfast cooked by Kathleen was awesome! Our room was cozy and clean.great location to town and wineries. Loved the laid back feeling of the inn and town. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed March 2013
Key West, Florida
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We loved this B&B! We bought the Groupon for the Wine Way Inn but got upgraded to the Craftsman when we arrived. The Wine Way looked nice, but the Craftsman is fantastic. The house itself is adorable. It's immaculately clean and while the house is older, it looked as tough the bathroom had been recently renovated. There are lots of cute details which make it really special, like cookies and brandy in your room and bottles of wine in the living room each night.

Like a lot of similar B&B's there's a communal table for breakfast. The food was excellent and we really enjoyed talking to both our hostess and the other guests. Everyone was very friendly and helpful with suggestions on wineries.

Calistoga is kind of an odd town in and of itself. It's quite small, but it is on the main road which runs through the whole Napa Valley. There are good restaurants and wineries in Calistoga as well as within driving distance. I wouldn't say it's a great value only because to me value implies that you're getting a bargain. You definitely get what you paid for here, but it’s not cheap. We'd definitely visit again though!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We had a fantastic stay recently at the Craftsman Inn and would recommend it to others. Nick and Gillian were both wonderful hosts and the breakfasts were delightful. They really couldn't have been more accommodating and have done a great job all around. You certainly can't complain about the hospitality or the location. The only negative to the inn is that some of the rooms walls are super thin. Expect to hear doors closing, footsteps, or even breakfast being prepared in the morning. Otherwise superb stay.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
The Bergson
#6 of 27 in Calistoga
Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort
Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort
#10 of 15 in Calistoga

Been to The Craftsman Inn? Share your experiences!