“A Lovely Place”
Review of The Craftsman Inn

The Craftsman Inn
Ranked #7 of 27 Calistoga B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We stayed at The Craftsman Inn for just one night during our trip through California in September and it was a delightful experience.

Calistoga is quaint and peaceful and The Craftsman fits in beautifully with this vibe. The rooms are very comfortable and tastefully decorated and internally the whole place has an Arts and Crafts look.

We had heard in town that Gillian the owner was a great cook and to expect a good breakfast. Having in the past struggled my way through many a hotel English/Scottish Breakfast I expected the usual "Great British fry-up." But the buffet options available were so different to this and which included poached plums, a nice muesli mix, homemade scones and I particularly enjoyed the Cowboy Beans from the hot dishes. Though with black olives and sundried tomatoes in this, the cowboys of Calistoga must have roamed the plains of Tuscany at some time.

A really enjoyable stopover and I just wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Enjoy the breakfast.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
WineWayInnOwners, Owner at The Craftsman Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

So glad you enjoyed your stay, the California Cowboy Breakfast is very popular. It is vegan and gluten free and works well for guest who have those restrictions but as you confirmed is enjoyed by everyone. I can't remember if you got my book, "Inn Food - A Seasonal Wine Country Breakfast", if you did the recipe is in there.

Thanks again for staying and hope to welcome you back if you are visiting again.

Regards

There are newer reviews for The Craftsman Inn

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed at the inn for two nights. When we got there, there was no one to welcome us, just a letter and a set of keys left near the door. We called the owner to find out which tour stops by, and were told that the calistoga shuttle drives around the city's wineries for free. When we ordered the shuttle we found out we need tickets from the inn to ride for free. Luckily, the inn owner was there, for the only time, and we got the tickets. We didn't get any help ordering tours. Breakfast was nice, but didn't have a lot of variety. The room was nice, but the shower was tiny, and we woke up early every morning because you hear everything thats going on on the street. We got cookies only on our first day, and didnt even get a congratulations for us being on our honeymoon .

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
WineWayInnOwners, Owner at The Craftsman Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Hi Liran, what a shame that you felt so bad about your honeymoon. I wish you had let me know what you wanted and I would have done anything I could to help you, as I do all my guests. If you read our other reviews I think you will see that people do enjoy staying with us and I don't quite understand why you are so unhappy.

Late check in seems to work smoothly for our guests and you had only to call the cell phone we left you if you needed anything, we were probably just in town having dinner. I usually tell my guests about the shuttle tickets (which are in the guest lounge) when I check them in. I’m not sure where you got the shuttle number from because the only place I have it is on the shuttle ticket, which I gave to you when you asked about it. You didn’t ask about recommendations which I would have been more than happy to help with, why would I not help? It is very unusual that your cookies were not refilled, Ellie is very conscientious about those and all the other important little details of housekeeping. Again, plenty available if you had only mentioned it, I am not trying to save on cookies!

I'm sorry you thought it appropriate to give us our worst review in the 6 years we have been open. Honestly Liran, it is unfortunate you didn’t put your energy into letting me know how I could help make your stay enjoyable rather than storing up this list of grievances for later. You only get one honeymoon and I wish only that I could have helped you enjoy it more, nothing I can do now you are gone.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

My boyfriend and I had a lovely 1-night stay at this beautiful house on a Saturday night. We were welcomed by the British innkeeper (which my British boyfriend loved) and oriented around town a bit. He called a local restaurant, JoLe, which he recommended, and secured a reservation, albeit an early one, for us, which was a fabulous meal. We were able to walk there and to tasting rooms downtown, all a few blocks away.

The whole house is beautiful. We booked the diamond room based on the large bathroom and it did not disappoint. We didn't use the jets because we were worried about disturbing our neighbors during the early morning. Unfortunately we were so exhausted that we fell asleep early and didn't get to enjoy the outdoor spaces, including our private balcony.

The breakfast was good, although tended to the sweet side. The baked goods were fabulous, as was the homemade yogurt.

I would come back to the Craftsman Inn in a heartbeat, and probably will for another weekend escape.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shushannah A

Thanks for staying, we tend to rotate the breakfast entree, sweet one day, savory the next, sounds like you would have preferred the latter. Do let us know if it's just one night next time and we will be sure to do a savory main dish for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 3 September 2013

This is a wonderful bed and breakfast. Each room is one of a kind - all are beautifully decorated. As are the common rooms. The wrap around veranda on the front of the house it perfect to enjoy a glass of wine before going to dinner or after a day of site seeing. There is even a small gazebo in the back, nestled in to the small garden area. The breakfasts are superb, with the food freshly prepared each morning. If you are there on Sunday morning, the Inn serves mimosas! The location is great - walking distance to downtown Calistoga. We never used the car all weekend.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Thanks for staying and for the very nice review, glad you enjoyed the champagne with breakfast, we actually serve that every day, not just Sundays!

Hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Calistoga.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I went with a couple of girlfriends & we had a wonderful stay at the Craftsman Inn. It was very easy to find & a great location to go to wineries in the area. We shared a room on the 1st floor that faced the street & the room was quiet & comfortable.
Bathroom was beautifully done in a period style. Breakfast was amazing every day. Also, the Craftsman Inn has a cookbook for all their wonderful recipes. I highly recommend trying.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Thanks for staying and for the nice review. Hope the recipes in the cookbook bring back happy memories.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

we stayed 3 nights in the diamonds room. even when this room isn't facing the street it is very loud. also in the night ( there is a stop signal in front of the house, so imaging the noise). anyway, the room was very nice and big and the bathroom is just great. Also the breakfast was very pleasant and the 2 ladies preparing it were also very nice. we have been to many b&B- what i like from a b&b is the atmosphere, beeing with other guests and talk with the owners. I have to say that i never saw the owners from the Craftsmann Inn, only during Check in and only for about 2 minutes. She was like in a hurry and not a bit interested in us or talking to us. That's quite sad i find, and only because of that I wouldn't come back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

So sorry that you did not find not everything to your satisfaction.

On the issue of noise, we are on the same road as pretty much all the major hotels and B&Bs in town. Nick has actually gone into the rooms with a decibel meter and honestly the "noise" level even at the busiest times is about the same as a whisper in the room (Nick says that's about 30 -40 Decibels or the same as a quiet office or a library). But that does not mean you cannot hear anything, especially if that is what you focus on. We do have sound spas to provide a little background sound and sorry you didn't have a chance to try that.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

I took a quick getaway to The Craftsman Inn. The property, while set right off the main highway, was very quiet. My room faced the street but the noise was not excessive at night.

The room was pleasant, if not a bit stark. The bathroom was light, airy with wonderful L'Occitane products, cozy robes and plush towels. The shower head didn't move and the shower stall was quite small so I couldn't escape it raining on my head!

My only minor complaint was my arrival and welcome. The proprietor seemed rushed and wasn't really thorough in orienting me to the property. There were lovely cookies in the room but I would not have known that if I hadn't poked around and found them next to the sherry bottle.

Perhaps a welcome letter explaining the amenities (where water bottles were located, treats in the room, internet password in case you forget, etc.) would have been nice additional touches.

However overall a fine experience.

Breakfast was plentiful and varied and the server was really friendly.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Thanks for staying and sorry if I didn't give you a thorough introduction to the Inn. Sometimes guest come all together and it may be that I was rushing off to help somebody else who was waiting. I should have checked back in with you to ensure you had everything you needed.

That is a good suggestion to leave a note or something with a ready reference of all the amenities, Nick and I are looking at iPads for all the rooms that would have that information.

Anyway, I do hope now you know what we have we will be able to welcome you back again.

Phone: 707-341-3035

Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Mount View Hotel & Spa
Wine Way Inn
Wine Way Inn
#6 of 27 in Calistoga
Indian Springs Resort and Spa

Been to The Craftsman Inn? Share your experiences!