“Nice slice of Wine County” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Aurora Park Cottages
Ranked #8 of 27 Calistoga B&B and Inns
Iowa
“Nice slice of Wine County”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2007

We spent two nights at Aurora Park and it was ideal. Joe and Celeste have a great place here in Calistoga. It's very close to many nice vinyards and Joe can point you in the right direction no matter what your interested in. Fine dining is right down the road so the location of the Cottages could not be much better. Keep an eye out for the turkeys that come down to visit from time to time. The breakfast was very good and we slept like babies in the comfy bed. (I suppose the wine helped) Joe was nice enough to set us up with a great private tasting at Beringer that proved to be one of the highlights of the trip!

Stayed January 2007
3 Thank gregoverton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
San Francisco, Peninsula
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2007

One of those very special places that you feel so grateful to have found! Especially for those hard workers who need a place to truly getaway for rejuvenation and relaxation.

Our stay was absolutely wonderful. I can't think of a thing that could have made the experience better than it was. From the large plush bed, the soft robes, complimentary water, gourmet coffee, fresh fruit snacks, the morning breakfast delivery...such a peaceful indulgence ;-).

This is one of those extraordinary places that provide all of those unexpected, but much appreciated special touches. We were even greeted by one of the owners as we pulled in - amazing!

They won't be able to keep us away! A must for anyone and everyone looking for that special getaway!

Kim & Paul

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank Barloga
marinite11
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2007

We stayed for two nights at the Aurora Park Cottages. We enjoyed our stay, but we didn't think that the cottages were worth the cost. We loved the interior of the cottage and the cozy bed, but we were extremely disappointed to find that the cottages are not set very far back from the highway. Despite us having the loud heater on all night, we could still hear traffic noise. It was never enough to wake us up in the middle of the night, but it was something you always were aware of. I know I am a little sensitive to noise and a lot of accomodation in Calistoga is on a busy road or highway, but I love to have peace and quiet when I am on vacation. We didn't hear any noise from our neighbors as each cottage does allow a lot of privacy.

The good: very comfortable bed, bright, cheery, and modern interior, extremely private, some discount coupons provided for local restaurants, wineries, and spas

The bad: the breakfast is extremely small and not very good , you can hear the traffic noise from the highway nearby, no bathtub

• Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank marinite11
kansas city, mo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2006

This is one of those special places that help keep you on track throughout the rough and tumble year. My wife and I make an annual trip out to the wine country (we were married there a few years ago) and this is the only place that we'll stay. The individual cottages are very private, cozy and extremely clean. There is a small fridge in each unit, coffee, teas, glasses, maps of the area, etc...all the little things to make your life a bit simpler and more enjoyable. Breakfast will arrive at 8:30 and consists of fresh juice, seasonable fruit, and scrumptious baked goods.

Each cabin has there own private deck and it's great to kick back, have a glass of wine and relax after a day full of activities.

Let me say that most places don't get it...when you stay at a B and B (or a hotel for that matter) one of the most important things to have is a comfortable bed. Aurora Park not only understands this principle but sets the bar high for - best bed to sleep in EVER. I can't say enough in regards to their beds...YOWZA!!!

The final thing that my wife and I love about Aurora Park, beyond everything that was mention above, is the hospitality of the owners: Celeste and Joe. These Inn keepers have always gone the extra mile to make our stay something special. They take great pride in providing an atmosphere of warmth, hospitality and great fun. They are what make this place such a hidden jewel that should be sought out at all costs.

Cheers,
Michael Martin
Kansas City, MO

• Liked — Everythinig
  • Disliked — Nada
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
4 Thank trainwreck
Sacramento
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2005

I loved the cottage but I wouldn't go back. First the good. The Innkeepers are super nice. The cottages are very cute. I'm not a big fan of continental breakfasts (i've usually had hours or day old pastries, etc), but the breakfast pastries delivered to your door each morning were delicious! Warm pastries, fresh squeezed juice and sweet fruit! The fresh brewed coffee in the cottage was yummy. They also had little touches like biscotti awaiting you. Apples on the table. and champagne (they put it out 2 celebrate my husband's 30-yr birthday). The complimentary usage of the robes were great. They were super soft and kept us warm. I would have thought all this would be great but the one thing I was looking foward to because of the reviews was the bed. We had cottage #4. The moment we got on it, it creeked like it was going to break. the first night we tossed and turned. we could not get comfortable and we barely slept. the second night (even after a full day of wine tasting, shopping, etc) we still couldn't sleep peacefully in our bed. Every toss and turn was a song of creeks. I have mixed feelings because what was supposed to be a 2 night stay of rest and relaxation, we ended up going home absolutely tired and seemingly sleep deprived. you're call... nice personal touches vs. no sleep.

• Stayed November 2005
11 Thank QriePut
, Innkeeper/Owner at Aurora Park Cottages, responded to this review, 22 May 2006
We would like to thank "Mixed Feelings" for all of their kind comments. We would also like to thank them for the warning about the bed. After reading their comments, we took the bed completely apart. We replaced all of the slats and supports with new metal slats and supports. We cushioned all of the connections. And, we tested the bed. From all reports we have received, the bed is quiet and no longer creaks.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2005

We stayed in the Aurora Park Cottages for our wedding night. It was so nice having our own little "house" to come back to late at night. I stayed at the Cottage alone on the night before our wedding and it was the perfect place to relax before the big day. I thought I would have trouble falling asleep, but the bed was so comfortable and cozy that I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow! The cottages are decorated with a very warm "Pottery Barn" style, not the usual country kitsch you might see in other B&B's in the area. There are no flowery curtains or wallpaper! My husband and I had such a relaxing morning waking up to a basket of warm pastries and fresh fruit that we enjoyed on our own private deck in our plush robes. It was the perfect start to our marriage!

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Denver, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2005

We stayed 2 nights at Aurora Park in early September and wished we could've stayed longer! We loved the privacy of our own cottage with the personal touches of a traditional B&B.

The location was perfect for us... it was an easy (and scenic) drive to any winery in the Napa/Sonoma region. I really enjoyed being across the road from the little town of Calistoga--it's a quaint, beautiful place and my favorite of all the little towns we visited.

Joe and Celeste are fantastic innkeepers and their hospitality was incredible! We received excellent recommendations for wineries to visit, which helped us make the best use of our limited time.

As previous posts mentioned, the beds are incredibly comfortable! But other nice, personal touches were the jelly belly jar, the fresh apples, the and the big comfy chairs.

We didn't take pictures of the room, but Aurora Park's web site has very accurate photos: (---)

We will certainly stay with Aurora Park on our next trip to the area!

• Stayed September 2005