“Our stay was relaxing and a real pleasure.”
Review of The Bergson

The Bergson
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Upon arrival, the manager made reservations for us to tour a winery and brought us china plates and silverware so that we could have the lunch that we brought with us on one of the tables on the patio. Our room was bright and spacious. The location was perfect for visiting area wineries and we were given passes to use a local shuttle that dropped us off and picked us up from a winery tour. We thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of our stay.

Room Tip: We only saw our room, it was clean with plenty of room and had nice furnishings. There is no elevat...

Reviewed 12 August 2013

No complaints. A rather pretty setting. Room was rather small and a bit cramped but still cozy. Breakfast was exactly what I "needed". This was just a one-night stop-over so I had no reason to explore Calistoga. I'm not sure there's much to see if you aren't interested in the mud baths.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful Victorian style little inn tucked away around the corner from downtown Calistoga. We could walk to wine tasting, restaurants, shops, bars, and coffee spots. The bed was comfortable and the room had a jacuzzi tub and fireplace. The carpet is a hot mess, I didn't walk barefoot. And the windows do not have screens so we had quite a few moths and spiders join us in the evening. Overall I'd say this is a nice hotel and in a great location. I would recommend it, the positives definitely overpowered the negatives.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 8 August 2013

This hotel is well located near downtown Calistoga and many wineries. The hotel is attractive from the outside and the lobby is well appointed. Our room was a little cramped for space as the furniture filled the room. The fireplace which was likely added after the room was completed, took up a corner of the room. The toilet/shower area were separate from the sink area and we appreciated this. It is fine for sleeping but you cannot expect to spend time relaxing in the room as there is only one chair. Sadly, the pink carpet is badly stained and could use a washing although if I were doing it, I would replace it with a darker, patterned carpet that would not end up looking so grubby.
We were happy to see glass wine glasses, coffee cups and drinking glasses as well as a wine opener. There was a coffee maker, shower cap and hair dryer. Breakfast consisted of orange juice, coffee, boiled eggs and pastries. There may have been more but it was picked over by the time we got there (our fault for being too late).
Christopher's Inn changed ownership at some point before our arrival so if you have previously visited, you may see a difference in care (better or worse, we don't know).

1  Thank KBN_Guelph
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We came to Calistoga on part two of a three part Northern California journey and stayed at Christopher's Inn. It was by far the best accomodation we stayed at during our trip! Our room was large with a fabulous bathroom with plenty of room to move around. We also had a fireplace (didn't need it because it was summer). Very quiet area so sleeping was not interrupted at all.
It was easy walking distance to the quaint shops and restaurants in downtown Calistoga. The continental breakfast was very nice and we enjoyed the morning with the outdoor seating.
I HIGHLY recommend Chistopher's Inn and I will definitely be back on my next trip to the wine country.
TP

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor in one of the out buildings..not in the main part of the Inn
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This hotel mistakenly booked me for the wrong night, despite booking me into a wedding block that was happening for a different date. They told me "for all we know you decided to change your reservation and just stay the night before the wedding". So, we had to scramble and find a new place to stay and they threatened to charge me for the night they had incorrectly booked me for. Regardless of whose fault the mix up was, I've never dealt with such a rude person in the service industry. Based on other reviews it sounds like we were better off finding other accommodations anyways.

2  Thank wunderkind1
Stephen P, General Manager at The Bergson, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

I would like to apologize for your experience during the reservation process. Our management and staff take guest service very seriously, but sometimes we fall short.
Upon reviewing your reservation, we did verify with your group’s wedding planner that you had been booked into the correct wedding block. However, I believe the confusion arose from your wish to stay Saturday night only and our hotel’s 2-night minimum requirement for all Saturday night stays. I understand we booked you for Friday night only, as well as sent you two email confirmations. Upon contacting you the evening of your anticipated arrival, you informed us of the misunderstanding. We were not able to re-rent the room at such a late hour, but understanding your situation, the hotel manager did not charge you for the room.
I would again like to apologize if at any time our staff acted in a rude manner. Your comments were immediately addressed with all staff members. I would also welcome the opportunity to discuss with you how I may leave you with a more satisfactory resolution. Our goal is always to make your visit to Calistoga as enjoyable, relaxing, and hospitable as possible.
Steve Patel

Reviewed 1 August 2013

After reading the reviews we decided to stay here for two nights, We checked in and were given room 15. When we opened the door to the room, the carpet looked like something out of a biker bar, stained, worn, nasty... We returned to the front desk and politely asked the clerk for a different room due to the carpet. The gentleman behind the desk stated all the rooms had stained carpets. His demeanor was terse and somewhat hostile. He made no offer to accomodate us in any way. The bed in the room was the worst we experienced in any hotel we stayed in.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 15
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Stephen P, General Manager at The Bergson, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear Bob,

I would like to sincerely apologize for the less than hospitable attitude you experienced from one of our Front Desk attendants. As you can see from other reviews, we take pride in providing superior guest service and I assure you this issue was immediately addressed with all hotel staff.
Despite shampooing the carpets in all rooms several times, the carpets in most rooms are in need of replacement. Two model rooms are being completed this month, with the rest of the carpets to be replaced in the fall.
Thank you for bringing the bed to my attention as this is the first I have learned about an uncomfortable bed. We will investigate and replace the bed ASAP!
Bob, please contact Sandra, our Manager so we may extend to you a special offer as I would like another opportunity to provide you with a wonderful wine country experience.

Steve Patel