“Charming Inn in Calistoga”
Review of The Bergson

The Bergson
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed at Christopher's Inn for 2 nights in October while visiting the Napa Valley. The Inn is in a good location relative to the town of Calistoga and within easy walking distance to excellent restaurants and the grocery store. We really enjoyed our stay at the inn. Our room (#10) was on the small side but well equipped. I'm not sure the a/c unit was working properly as it took some time to cool it down when needed. We really enjoyed the outdoor living room with the propane fireplace and spent the beautiful napa valley evenings out there. The included continental breakfast was also quite good as were the delicious cookies in the evening. It looks like some renovations have taken place and with a few more upgrades this would be an even better place to stay..

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hallorp

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We were nervous at the location, corner of Hwy 29 and main street in Calistoga, but the rooms are tucked around corners, and were quite acceptable noise-wise. The rooms are cutesy old-fashioned, but very comfortable. I thought there was a "cat pee" odour in the room, but we got used to it, and forgot about it completely. We had a little wine party on the "Roman style" patio outside the office, Breakfast was coffee, danishes, yogurt, cereal, fruit, and very enjoyable. The stay was a nice surprise, booked by our friends, and we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room furthest from the street. Consider taking one of the new suites.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 8Peter
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I can't comment on the inn itself, but beware of making a reservation and then trying to cancel it. My confirmation e-mail gave an address and a phone number. I e-mailed to cancel. They replied with a phone number to call, which had NO OPTIONS for cancelling a reservation and seemed to be all about something else altogether. A phone call to the number in the e-mail yielded the same non-helpful person who says because I made the reservation online, they can't cancel it for me - but I have no other info. SO HERE'S THE SECRET: You can cancel by going back to their website with your email and confirmation number, but don't expect their reservations help to know that.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bmalloy
Stephen P, General Manager at The Bergson, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear BMalloy,

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered while trying to cancel your reservation. We do use a 3rd party to handle our website reservations and they do require that all reservations must also be cancelled via our website. That being said, our front desk staff is now fully capable of taking care of this for any of our guests. I apologize for the miscommunication on our end and we have taken steps to insure this is an isolated occurrence. Our goal is to provide excellent customer service and if you do have the chance to stay with us, I believe you will experience just that!

Steve Patel

Reviewed 14 October 2013

In the very pricey Napa Valley, this B and B is a relative bargain. It's on a busy road, but our room (#9) was tucked back in a quiet corner. The room was a little too small, but we didn't spend much time in the room, so I thought the price was a fair trade off.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room in the back if traffic noise bothers you.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We just returned from an incredible weekend celebrating my Best Friend's 50th Birthday. Christopher's Inn couldn't have been more perfect. There were 7 couples coming from all over the States. I spent hours trying to find a place that could host all of us and Sandy and her staff went over and above satisfying our needs. Everyone LOVED their accommodations! Each room was spacious, beautifully decorated, warm and inviting - after a day of visiting wineries, we couldn't wait to get back to our luxurious beds and fireplace. Because we were so large, we took over the patio at night for another glass of wine and local cheeses. The location was perfect. We walked into town each night for dinner and the little shops were delightful. The Bar-b-q restaurant in town was superb.....this coming from a Texan who has the best bbq in the world. I highly recommend Christopher's Inn to anyone who wants to be treated as royalty. Best kept secret in Napa Valley...... Can't wait to go back. Thanks Sandy - it was perfect.
Sandy B from Houston

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room anywhere!!! We had 7 rooms and we each looked at each others to see...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 October 2013

After reading some not so positive reviews regarding the cleaniness and upkeep of this hotel, I was a bit hesitant in booking a room here. I had this mental image of a dark dated old room with carpets and linens that had seen much better days. Thankfully Christopher's Inn was nothing like my imagination. The classic queen room we had, despite being rather small, was clean and tastefully furnished in colorful cottage style. The bed (which seemed more like a full size rather than a queen) had fairly comfortable bedding and didn't give me any back pain in the morning. In the room you can find most of the items one would require for a good night's stay - coffee maker, bathrobe, hairdryer, iron, TV and the usual bathroom toiletry. Hotel staff was helpful and courteous. Breakfast was a simple continental one. (Coffee, juice, pastries and fruits only. No cold cut meat but you do get some hard boiled eggs)

If you want a cozy place to stay in the wine country that won't break the bank, I would highly recommend this little gem.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My family and I stayed at the Christopher Inn for 4 nights in September. The location was great. We were a short drive from many of the wineries and the petrified forest, and a quick walk to Lincoln St. for shops/restaurants. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. The complimentary breakfast was adequate..... bagels, cereal, fruit, etc. Our room was big enough to fit the extra air mattress and pack-n-play provided by the Inn for my children. The bathroom was very outdated. There was paint peeling from the door. The tub was fairly old. The carpets througout our room and the hallway were horribly stained and dirty. II understand that the Inn will be undergoing some renovations soon. While we were there, they actually installed a new shower head in our bath. Hopefully, they will be painting and replacing the carpets too. If that happens, I would absolutely stay there again. The staff were great and the location was really wonderful.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family