“Speechless!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Chateau de Vie

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Calistoga
Chateau de Vie
Ranked #2 of 27 Calistoga B&B and Inns
Durham, North Carolina
“Speechless!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

My fiancé and I just returned from a 3 night stay at Chateau de Vie and I've been trying to think of a way to review it to truly capture how incredible of a stay it was.

To begin, I have spent my entire professional career in the hospitality industry, specifically in luxury hospitality so needless to say, my expectations tend to be very high. Like most of you on here, I read the reviews and was truly blown away, even before ever stepping a foot on the property. From the view to the breakfast to the service to the accommodations, this property was setting the bar excessively high from the get go. As our trip approached, the excitement was building but also my concern that there was no way that this place could truly be this good.... there was just no way!

My fiancé and I arrived to the property on Thursday afternoon and we were graciously and quickly greeted by Peter who helped us to our room, showed us around the property and offered to book reservations for dinners, winery tours or anything else that we could think of. Breakfast (I'll get to that in a minute) is typically served at 9am, however, they will adjust to what best accommodates you. Coffee and tea is provided daily upstairs in the hallway at 7am, a great selection of complimentary, and very good, wine is available in the dining room every day and there is a refrigerator on the deck that is stocked with soft drinks and water.

Our first impressions were that the Chateau is beautiful, well decorated and cozy. The grounds are breathtaking, the gardens are immaculate and the views from the back deck overlooking their vineyard and the mountains were just stunning.

Once we got settled into our room we decided to take a dip in the pool that is on the property. The pool is private, nicely landscaped and very clean. Peter quickly came over and asked if we would like a fruit/cheese platter and I officially began thinking that I may just never return home.

Mornings at the Chateau were my favorite. I was still on East Coast time so I would tend to wake up as the sun was peeking over the hills on the other side of the valley. I would sit outside with my iPad (wifi is free and works very well) and was greeted each morning by Peter or Phillip with my own carafe of coffee and accompaniments. It was very clear that Peter and Phillip take a lot of effort learning about their guests, knowing when they tend to eat, what they prefer to drink, where they like to sit, etc. This attention to detail is subtle but incredibly well executed and very well received. As mentioned previously, breakfasts were out of this world! Often starting with fresh baked scones, muffins or whatever delectable treats Phillip could think up and then followed by an amazing “main” course always including fresh fruits and orange juice. Trying to describe Phillip’s creations would just be wrong and not even give him enough credit. Put it at this, my mornings since returning home have been quite disappointing!

A close second to my favorite time of day at the Chateau were evenings. There is very little light pollution up in Calistoga and on a clear night, the stars are incredible. Definitely make sure to go outside and enjoy a glass of wine in the hot tub! The Milky Way is so bright and the stars are so numerous that it’s almost hypnotic!

In conclusion, this place was incredible, worth every penny and will absolutely be a place we will call home again soon!

Thank you Peter and Phillip! We had an amazing time and you helped make our trip to Napa an incredible experience!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Totally wonderful place to stay. Lovely hosts, who couldn't have been more nice or more thoughtful. Beautiful setting, nice pool and remarkable breakfasts and 3 pm wine and cheese

The pool is great for quiet laps. It can not been seen from the back patio. So you can swim in peace and the people snaking reading and drinking wine in the back seating area are also not disturbed.

Highly recommended

Phil P

Bay area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

We could not have asked for better hosts. The breakfasts were wonderful. The setting in the vineyard is perfect. The landscaping on the property is exquisite! We were in the King Suite on the third floor it was comfortable and roomy. The evening wine and cheese was generous and tasty (they make their own cab. and it is very good). You can not go wrong here!

Room Tip: Third floor suite great...
Wantagh, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at Chateau de Vie for 3 nights last week. We stayed in the Carriage House which was absolutely perfect! Peter and Phillip are gracious hosts. Since this was our first time visiting the wine country, we asked Peter and Phillip for suggestions whether it be which wineries to see, restaurants to eat in or just see the sights - they were right on with all their suggestions. They made our stay there very memorable, so much so that we can't wait to go back. And I can't say enough about Phillip's breakfasts - they are delicious and creative! Also their Cabernet is excellent - we had a few bottles shipped home. If you are thinking about visiting the wine country - this is the place to stay.
Thank you so much for making our stay so wonderful!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
West Bloomfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

We just returned from our second stay at Chateau de Vie. We have been coming to wine country for about 25 years and have never stayed at the same place in Napa twice. We knew as soon as we stepped foot on the property three years ago, that we had found our Napa "home away from home"! This last stay was just as amazing as the first time, and we could not have felt more welcome. Peter and Phillip bend over backward to make sure even the tiniest details are perfect. The food is absolutely AMAZING, and so beautifully prepared! The grounds are immaculate and our room was beautiful and cozy. We really appreciated the cheese and fruit plate when we got back to the inn after a day out wine tasting. It is such a peaceful, beautiful place, anyone would be doing themselves a disservice by coming to Calistoga and not staying here. Thank you so much Peter and Phillip, we are already planning our stay next year!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Since arriving home a few weeks ago, we find pleasure in lingering over fond memories of Chateau de Vie. Our visit, made special by the hosts’ kind and gracious attention, was such a delight. How fortunate we were to discover CDV and to share it with our family at the happy occasion of our marriage. From the generous hospitality, to the exquisite food and wine, and the sumptuous surroundings, everything about our stay at CDV was ideal. We look forward to a return visit, though next time we’ll stay the entire time at this lovely chateau! Nothing compares to this little gem, nestled in the heart of wine country. We absolutely cannot wait to return again!
On our departure, our hosts asked for suggestions to improve our visit. We have only one: a cookbook filled with Phillips’ superb recipes to pair with lovely wine from CDV. Then a little bit of CDV could be savored between visits! If you’re considering CDV, a gracious welcome, picturesque setting, and topnotch service will be waiting for you. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Norman, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

I can only echo the previous reviews- CDV is first class all the way! We spent our last night there after 3 previous nights in Sonoma. After hitting a few wineries in Napa we were pretty much over it all (I know, blasphemy!) by 3:00 pm. The pool and hot tub were just what we needed to unwind and open a couple of our purchases (plastic wine glassed available inside, BTW). We stayed in the Carriage House and it lived up to its billing, as did breakfast. Peter and Phillip were great hosts and a lot of fun. Oh, and their Cab was the BEST we had during the whole trip. I'm drinking a glass of it as I type this. One night really wasn't enough. We'll be back for more!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
The Wine Country Inn
Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort
Luxe Calistoga
Luxe Calistoga
#3 of 27 in Calistoga

Been to Chateau de Vie? Share your experiences!