“A-M-A-Z-I-N-G”
Review of Chateau de Vie

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Calistoga
Chateau de Vie
Ranked #1 of 27 Calistoga B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 October 2010

Wow, this was the second B&B we stayed on our trip and we enjoyed the Chateau de Vie immensely. In fact I’d go so far as to say it’s the best B&B I’ve ever stayed in. OK, it’s pretty expensive to stay here but it’s definitely worth it. Phillip and Peter manage with ease to be the perfect hosts, this place oozes quality and attention to detail.

The house is beautiful, very contemporary in style and just what I’d choose if I had this type of house, oh I wish. The living room is lovely with doors that open fully onto the patio outside. I loved the decking, the tables and chairs and the tree that shades you when you are eating or just sitting relaxing. It’s very peaceful here and we could have quite easily have stayed longer, finances permitting! Alas we only had one night, though we did try to get in for another night but it was full.

We stayed in Queen Guest Room 2. The room was a bit smaller than others that we stayed in, but perfectly adequate. I loved the colours in the room and the mirror, which I’ve since tried to find on the internet for one of my rooms at home but failed! The bathroom was contemporary, it was the smallest we stayed in but was spotlessly clean. In fact the whole house was immaculate. No scuffs on the walls, which I hate, everything looked in tip top condition.

When we arrived we took full advantage of relaxing by the pool, luckily for us we had only travelled 70 miles from our last destination and everyone had gone out for the day. After settling in, Philip & Peter came out from the Barn (which they live in, next door) every now and again to check on us and see if we had everything we needed. They have a fridge outside on the patio where you can get water and cans of coke, which are free. They also supply some very nice robes which you can use to for getting to and from the pool. They also have a Jacuzzi which my partner spent some time in and thoroughly enjoyed. The pool furniture is great as are the gardens and vineyards around the pool area are very relaxing which make for a very tranquil place to stay.

In the early evening we decided we would go out for Dinner, just as we were leaving Phillip asked if we’d had some cheese and wine. We hadn’t, when he came back, the plate was full with a lovely selection of savoury biscuits, homemade tapenade and cheese and or course wine, which I might add is available at any time of the day. Definitely the best selection and presentation of cheese and fruits we have had on our travels.

Breakfast: This was the best I’ve ever had and still dream of it today! Everything was presented beautifully. Phillip is an expert and wonderful cook. To start with I had homemade lemon scones, they were absolutely delicious as they were still piping hot out of the oven. Unfortunately my partner lucked out a bit as he had mentioned that he wasn’t really supposed to be eating anything with flour in, so he had the melon with mint (I did give him one of my scones though!). Next was the main course consisting of Asparagus with eggs, mixed in was parmesan cheese and garlic breadcrumbs and a piece of garlic bread on the side. Accompanying this was fresh fruit and juice and of course tea and coffee. It was lovely sitting out in the dappled sunlight enjoying the peace and quiet and being waited on by two lovely hosts. If you stay and love the scones Phillip will kindly give you the recipe to recreate the scones, which we eagerly tried at home, unfortunately they don’t seem to quite match his expert cooking. But I’ll keep trying!

Is there anything I would change or fault about The Chateau de Vie – Absolutely not it was as perfect as it gets.

Reviewed 22 October 2010

Recently had the pleasure of staying at a property which surpassed all of my expectations. It is not often that one struggles with wondering “should I tell the world, knowing that I may never again be able to obtain another reservation, because it will perpetually be sold out!??!”

Alas, my conscience has prevailed and I cannot keep such a gem secret…not that it is, with the repeat customers and those whose research prowess, internet-saavy-ness are finding out that Chateau de Vie not only delivers, but far exceeds your wildest dreams!

Both Phillip and Peter (owners and hosts) are using their God-given abilities to the maximum — the chateau and its spectacular location speak for themselves, but I was impressed even more with the desire on their part to share in the history of their home and the area. They wrote the book on the fine art of hospitality and the importance of relationships. Then to top that off.., CDV is surrounded by a vineyard on all sides, they produce their own wonderful label…breakfast created and served by this team are over the top exceptionally delicious (the setting and service take it up yet another notch).

This is truly a “must visit” destination…you need not make any plans on what to do with your days here…you only need inquire with this knowledgeable dynamic duo…every recommendation made was superlative – perfect!

If you think you have died and gone to heaven when reaching the south part of Napa Valley, one only needs to continue traveling north to Calistoga – the valley becomes more narrow and lush…we found criss-crossing the valley floor, sampling wines and touring vineyards was a very lovely way to pass the time. Only to return to Chateau de Vie in the late afternoon, pour a glass of always available white or red and take a stroll thru the sunlit Autumn colored vines surrounding the estate…only to have a gourmet cheese/fruit plate waiting for you, and sharing the magnificent patio with the other fortunate guests, watching the sunset turn the eastern valley pink, then reluctantly setting down an empty wine glass only to venture on to one of the many wonderful restaurants in the area. We visited one evening (at the suggestion of our hosts) the glorious Solbar which is part of the internationally acclaimed resort Solage Calistoga. The restaurant was recently given a prestigous Michelin star. You could only hope the day would never end! Sort of like the night Cinderella had once upon a time, eh?

We returned home feeling relaxed, sublime, reflective and with promises to return to Phillip’s and Peter’s Paradise as soon as possible . Oh so magnificent! Au revoir mon ami!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Usually, if I like a place as much as I do CDV, I would write a lengthy review about every little detail. However, we were so happy with our stay there, any explanation wouldn't do it justice. We stayed in the King Carriage House, which is their only cottage room. The minute I walked in, I was absolutely sure that we were staying in the best room in the Napa Valley. I literally said that out loud (and was then laughed at by my fiance) but I really meant it. Everything there was both rustic and immaculate at the same time. The surroundings were also amazing, right in the middle of a vineyard with beautiful views of the hills. Just the room and surroundings alone were worth 5 stars, but our hosts deserve 5 stars of their own. Peter and Phillip were excellent hosts and they create an environment and feeling like you are guests in their home. Phillip cooks some amazing gourmet breakfasts too (I could live off of his homemade scones alone). If all this wasn't enough...their 2007 Cabernet was excellent, and we made sure to buy a few bottles before we left. If you like waking up to the view of grapes growing outside your window while the hot air balloons float by in the morning mist, as a hot pot of coffee and newspaper awaits you just outside your doorstep, you will probably like this place.

My suggestion: The little details and extras at CDV make your money feel well spent. If you are looking for a room at this price range, this place has excellent value. In short, if you can afford it and a room is available, there is no reason to go anywhere else.

2  Thank drrobrx
Reviewed 1 October 2010

Peter and Phillip run this beautiful B&B extremely efficiently, gracefully and warmly. They each have such a lovely, low key manner. The setting is beautiful. The patio backs on vineyards that run into the hills. (I took walks each morning and saw the wonderful jack rabbits and breathed the fresh air). We really relaxed and loved the experience.

As good as the food was at Solbar Solage (1 Michelin star rated), truly the best food in Napa is Phillip's breakfast. Phillip is not a chef per se (although he has received some formal training), however, he has natural talent. I don't mean to be arrogant by saying we have eaten in some of the finest restaurants in the world; I just provide that as background when I say that Phillip's culinary skills are amazing. No exaggeration, his breakfast is better than any dinner you'll have in Napa. There's a reason this B&B is number one.

Reviewed 14 September 2010

We arrived slightly late and were greeted very graciously with wine and some delicious canapés. This is a stylish and well-presented bed and breakfast, where you are given the most wonderful breakfast every morning, not to mention excellent coffee, which is brought to outside your bedroom door from first thing in the morning. Phillip personally cooks breakfast and it is quite exceptional, freshly made, beautifully presented and truly unique - every morning.

Peter took great trouble providing advice on where to visit in the area and we were greeted with glasses of wine on our return each evening as well as fabulous cheese and other snacks.

Our bedroom was smartly decorated decorated with a very comfortable bed and it was in a quiet location. There is a hot tub and an excellent swimming pool if you want to take some exercise or just relax; these are in the pretty garden, there are chairs to relax in as well as loungers by the pool.

We really enjoyed our stay and would go there again if we had the opportunity

1  Thank JMM61055
Reviewed 13 September 2010

Chateau de Vie is a charming B&B just outside of Calistoga, an area of wine country that we try visit annually. We chose CDV in large part based upon the unanimous excellent reviews of others on Trip Advisor. We chose to stay in the Carriage House Suite, an individual guest house separated from the main house. The suite is of moderate size and accommodating with a large bathroom, deep jacuzzi tub, flat screen satellite tv and fireplace. The king bed and pillows were of very high quality and comfortable. The carriage house has a private porch and courtyard surrounded by vineyards owned by the proprietors. The guest house and grounds were impeccably clean, well-maintained and tastefully decorated.

The main house and grounds, including lap pool and hot tub, were equally charming, clean and flawlessly maintained. The rear of the house is surrounded by a large deck, which overlooks the vineyards and mountains and is a spectacular location to relax, drink a glass of wine and take in the splendor of the countryside.

Breakfast is prepared and served daily. If you stay in the carriage house, you can chose to be served in your private courtyard watching the sunrise as hot air balloons take off in the near distance. It is evident that each breakfast is made with thought, care and attention to high quality. The ingredients are fresh, skillfully prepared and made with local, in-season products. During our stay, each breakfast was different, inventive and well thought out.

The proprietors are on the premises at all times and strive to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable. They will happily recommend restaurants or activities in the area. These gentlemen make running this B&B look effortless, and yet what is so abundantly clear is that so much effort has gone into every detail to make your stay exceed your expectations. A few nights prior to our arrival, I received a call from the owner asking if CDV could arrange any dinner reservations or wine tours for us. This surprising call is just one example of the extra effort taken at this inn to provide top of the line service.

My partner and I are a same-sex couple and we are often concerned about how we will be received by those who run establishments, as well as the guests. I am happy to say that we were welcomed warmly at CDV and never felt ill at ease.

The pool and hot tub were clean, well-maintained and offered respite from the hot days and cool nights of Calistoga. Evening skies will provide breathtaking views of stars, including the Milky Way, which I did not know was still possible to see with the naked eye.

We have two recommendations for CDV. Their website, while professionally done, lacks the number of photographs that we would like to have seen of the rooms and grounds. The facility has absolutely nothing to hide, so we would encourage them to add more images to their website. Secondly, the inn raises and produces its own wine under the CDV label. To their own detriment, the proprietors do not showcase their exceptional product enough, for after one taste of their carefully crafted wines, you will be sold on this product as are several top end restaurants in the valley who serve their very good wines. We understand the proprietors’ efforts to not appear to be up-selling, but in this case the product is so good that it would be warranted.

Many inns overhype what they have to offer and under-deliver. CDV is just the opposite. Although you will go in with high expectations, you will likely be surprised by just how pleasant the experience is. In a world where customer service and quality seem to be a thing of the past, it is wonderful to see that some places like CDV still get it right.

We have found a home away from home in wine country, and as long as the proprietors, Peter and Phillip, keep doing what they are doing, we will return again and again.

3  Thank jcrawley
Reviewed 9 September 2010

I completely agree with the raves this lovely bed & breakfast has received. Excellence is evident in every detail of the operation: warm, personal service; understated, elegant decor; creative, delicious breakfasts; wine and cheese served in the afternoons on the beautifully landscaped patio that overlooks Mt. Helena. With that said, Chateau de Vie may not be the best choice for visitors who want to be close to Yountville. If you prefer a quiet location that is set amidst the vineyards you'll be pleased with CDV's location.

Expect to be treated like a valued guest here, which sadly is not the norm today. The owners take pride in their establishment and seem truly pleased to be able to share in their good fortune of residing in such a fabulous location.

1  Thank chitowngirl55
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
The Bergson
Solage, an Auberge Resort
Napa Vineyard Inn
Napa Vineyard Inn
#1 of 22 in Napa

Been to Chateau de Vie? Share your experiences!