Comfort Inn Calistoga, Hot Springs of the West
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
“Fire LT”
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Where do I start! Was sent to beautiful Calistoga for a weekend seminar. The organization putting on the workshop got a block of rooms at this dump. Apparently, the person in charge didn't ask if major renovations were taking place, or if the fitness room was open. Or even if the " mineral springs hot tub" was full of baby puke green water! Cause that's exactly what I checked myself into! For $239.00 a night!!! They say let the buyer beware, but when you have no control over your accommodations, this is the hell you end up with! But, in my defense, when I called to book my room, the hard to understand Chica that helped me didn't tell me that major renovations were being done, or that the fitness center was not in usable condition. Or that the jacuzzi was baby puke green! Stay somewhere else and spend an extra $50. It'll be worth your money.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank gregbetush
ComfortInnCalistoga, General Manager at Comfort Inn Calistoga, Hot Springs of the West, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Gregbetush,

Thank you for your review. I apologize that you had an unpleasant stay at our hotel and that the improvements that we are undergoing affected your experience. That is certainly not our intention as we are making these improvements in order to provide a better product for our guests. This is the time of the year when we are able to make such changes with the most minimum impact on our guests. Staff maintains morning meetings with our contractors to make them aware of our guests and their locations. We have a strict policy in place of working only during hours that are best for our guests. Unfortunately, this does slow down the process and I apologize again that it disrupted your stay. Contrary to what it looks like, the improvements are not major and should be completed shortly.

As to the jacuzzi and its "baby puke green" coloring, as the signage right outside the pool gate indicates, a green hue in the water is to be expected with Mineral Water pools. We are unique in that we have 100% mineral water running directly into the pool and jacuzzi. And depending, on the time of the year and mineral content, the color may vary (including turning green). We are strictly governed by Napa County Health department to the same code as any other public facility and maintain a 100% compliance record for our pools and jacuzzi in terms of sanitation and safety. Nevertheless, we know that some guests may be startled by the water coloring, and that is why we placed signage on the pool gate to help explain this natural phenomenon, even mentioning the green hue. I will speak with my front desk staff to help further explain this, perhaps upon check-in. Wishing you safe future travels.

Cheers!

Peter P.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Danville, California
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I preface this review by stating that this hotel is one of the rare hotels in wine country where you can have a one night stay (no multi night minimums), which is handy for Bay Area locals.
Stayed here for a quick Valentines getaway with my husband. We go up to the area regularly but rarely stay overnight due to most hotels requiring multi night minimums. Didn't spend much time at the hotel but it's decent for the price, location and no stay minimums. The beds are super comfortable but the bathroom was very dated - looked a bit sad. Front desk staff was very welcoming. Free breakfast was very weak. Coffee was very bad and watery. Fitness center was closed for renovation? But good location to Calistoga and Silverado Trail.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ChicagoGirl78
San Jose, California
Reviewed 27 February 2014

What do you want from your visit to Calistoga? I was meeting a family member and wanted a quite comfortable place to stay. The Comfort Inn was just that and more. Kelly helped us with check in. She was delightful. She gave us a room in the back and told us about the motel. We got checked in and then went out to the pool and hot tub. The pool was not as warm as we had hoped, but the little hot tub/spa was great. We turned on the sauna and enjoyed the outdoor spa while the sauna warmed up. Kelly came out and checked on the temperature of the pool and spa. She added more thermal water. Kelly also gave us directions to find something in town, recommended a place for dinner and gave us a coupon for dinner.
The beds were comfortable, The room was quite and not expensive. The was a free breakfast with several choices in cereal, hard boiled eggs, coffee, juice and waffles,
If you are looking for large hot pools and baths were you are going to be pampered, this is not the spot. However, if you want a quite place to relax, read and a comfortable bed, I recommend this motel.

Room Tip: We stayed by the rear parking area.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Greater Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Spent a weekend in wine & Spa country with one night here in Calistoga. The hotel appears to be near the end of a renovation as the lobby was being repainted when we arrived. It was all in order by the next morning however.
The rooms were well appointed for a Comfort Inn property and the beds! THE BEDS!! Sooo comfortable. We talked with a housekeeper who said they flip the beds after each stay. You don't hear of many hotels doing that.
Breakfast was adequate although the seating area was limited. The hotel is at the end of town but it's not far to the stores, restaurants and hot springs- no more than 3-5 mins by car.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 January 2014

A recent stay at this Comfort Inn showed that the friend who recommended it was right--like all the Comfort Inns I've stayed in, the rooms are very pleasant for the price range. I give it five stars not because it's a five star hotel--it doesn't pretend to be--but because for the kind of hotel it is, it hits the mark perfectly. The mattresses are terrific, everything was clean, free wifi worked well, coffeemaker in room. When I booked they were able to give me a quiet room when I asked for that--top floor away from the road--for which I was grateful.The little sitting balcony area is nice to have, too.

The breakfast set up is a good feature--for a really great breakfast, go out, but there were ample choices on offer and for those on a budget, useful to have the option..

This is an excellent choice for families--lots of families with children were enjoying the pool and hot tub. The location is good for both Calistoga itself and St. Helena.

Most impressive of all was how helpful and warm every single staff member I spoke with was, from the phone reservation to the desk folk to the person who took care of returning to me a computer keyboard I'd left there by mistake. Got mailed to me, well protected, promptly.

Thanks, to all of them.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
San Rafael, California
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Kelly has saved me more than once. She really knows customer service. Great poise on the phone and in person. Plus this place has the hot spring pool and hot tub. We liked coffee in the morning on the second floor balcony.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sam S
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We were visiting the area for a quasi family reunion and Comfort provided us all with a good base so we could go off an explore the area. First, the various people at the front desk were abundantly helpful in pointing us in the right direction for cellars, restaurants, and running trails. There is a great outdoor jacuzzi tub along with a small pool. Breakfast was pretty standard 3 star hotel type breakfast, but it did get a bit crowded in the lobby as there is not a separated sitting area. The building and rooms were a little tired, but they were comfortable.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Best Western Plus Stevenson Manor
Ivy Hotel Napa
Ivy Hotel Napa
#26 of 30 in Napa
Indian Springs Resort and Spa

Been to Comfort Inn Calistoga, Hot Springs of the West? Share your experiences!