“One of the Original spa/motels”

Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Yes, this motel is dated but, I found it clean and a convenient place to stay. The staff was friendly and was in walking distance of town. It was hard to get a wifi signal from our room which was disappointing. We had The Works and it was heaven. Great relaxing trip. Autumn is the perfect time to visit! Lots of great wineries nearby.

Room Tip: The road noise starts at 6 a.m. Try to get a room away from the road.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 October 2013

I recently took my daughter to Dr. wilkinson's for some much needed R &R....we stayed 2 nights and on the second late morning we got 'the works'! Mud baths, mineral whirlpool bath, steam, wrapped in blankies and then therapeutic massages. My daughters massage therapist was awesome in her words, mine was much more cautious even after I told her that I get deep massage on a regular basis. So I was a little disappointed, however the overall experience was just what we both needed. The attendants are all very nice and very service- oriented.

Our room was very pleasant, clean and updated. We both enjoyed our stay very much and will return again !!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank IloveFrance27
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We made a reservation for Labor Day Weekend based on the positive reviews on Tripadvisor. We should have read more carefully. The motel has the visual appeal of a typical old motel. The painted cinderblock walls reminded my friend of his old dorm room or a cellblock. Furniture was crummy with stained carpet and burns marks on the formica countertop. The ambiance of the entire property had me wondering if we were in the wrong place. Not what we were hoping for on a romantic weekend. We checked out after our spa treatment; we didn't even stay in the room for more than a few minutes. Although kind, the staff didn't really care that we were leaving. The owner saw us check out early and he just drove away.
As for the spa, I was shocked to see broken tiles, dirty floors and people walking around barefoot in an environment that should be sanitary. ( I was informed it was so no one slipped on the concrete floors....) I will not even elaborate on the massage that left me in great pain for days afterward.
If you want a funky, outdated property you will be comfortable here. We went to another hotel and had a wonderful time that was comparable in price but 1000 times better in quality. I am not sure what other reviewers saw for their great reviews but it wasn't what we encountered.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank phoenix100
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear Phoenix100,

Such a disappointment to reveive such a slam review! I am overwhelmingly sorry that you did not enjoy your visit here. For whatever reason, I guess that Dr. Wilkinson's is not the place for you and am sorry that your experience here was not good! For the record, none of our countertops have burn marks on them....we've been a non smoking property for more than 20 years. From all of the other reviews on this site the reader can see that we are frequently praised for our cleanliness and attention to detail. I thank you for your kind commets regarding our staff. One last thing, I am the owner and I do not drive so it wasn't me that you saw!!!!!

Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

We have been coming here for over 20 years, so that gives you an idea of our loyalty, so I write these suggestions out of respect for the management appreciation for the many good times. We stayed in the bungalow this last time and enjoyed the privacy, but it was in need of updating- the bathroom was musty and the old fridge needed a bowl of ice to keep our food cold. A few small things like a regular size coffee pot and toaster would be nice. The classic bathhouse mud treatments were good as ever! But we don't understand why the pools don't open earlier, 8:30 seems late, especially for the indoor hot tub. One final comment, in almost a week, I only saw ONE person swim in the large outdoor pool. It's much too cold for the demographic coming here!

• Stayed: September 2013
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2013

Thank you so much for your review! We always appreciate feedback from our long time guests...and you certainly qualify! Your comments about the bathroom and refrigerator are being adressed. Indeed, our guests enjoy the privacy of the bungalows. Thanks also for the feedback regarding the largest of the three pools. We keep it at a swim temperature of 82F and the other pools at 90F and 103F. Everyone seems to have their favorite! Your comments to the bath and massage staff have been passed along and are truly appreciated.

Again, my thanks. We all look forward to seeing you here again soon!

Reviewed 17 September 2013

I loved the service and the cleanliness of this resort. I had the best message that I have every had in my life! They truely want you to come back and experience a wonderful vacation. Worth every pennie you spend!

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Karen,

Such a great review! Many, many thanks to you! We hope to see you here again soon.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Dr. Wilkinson's hasn't changed much since it was built back in the 60's. Its long modern lines make it standout in Calistoga with a look drawn more from the roadside motels of the period than the small town country aesthetic common throughout the region. Inside, the rooms are large and clean if not luxurious. The beds are reasonably comfortable. As far as value goes, I don't think you can even mention that word and Napa Valley in the same sentence but compared to similar properties in the area the price is fair. Those looking for a luxury spa resort will need to spend 2 to 3 times more. For those looking for a simpler experience and a nice soak in a mineral bath this is a good choice. There are 3 pools to choose from each with a different temperature ranging from cool to hot. They also offer mud baths and massages in the spa.

The location is convenient as well. Dr. Wilkinson's sits at the end of Calistoga's main street and is close to many restaurants, wine tasting and shops. Calistoga sits at the northern end of the Napa Valley and it is only a short drive (though traffic can be horrendous) down to the heart of the wine country. Calistoga also has a different vibe to it. Much of the Napa Valley can be a little pretentious while Calistoga is more Earthy.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bmp68

Thank you for taking the time to leave the kind review! Your comments are appreciated and we hope to see you here again soon! Indeed, Calistoga has a good "vibe" which we do our best to continue along with....

Thanks again! We hope to see you here again soon!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Living only an hour or so away, I've visited Calistoga many, many times and have stayed at nearly all the resorts in the area. Dr. Wilkinson's remains the most accommodating and welcoming every time and I've stayed here about 40 plus times. Like many of the resorts in Calistoga, is an old fashioned destination, both the town as well as many of the businesses. Located on the northern end of the Napa Valley, it's an ideal place to stay after a day of wine tasting. Calistoga-think laid back, old fashioned yet casually chic.

My favorite bank of rooms are the patio rooms which are located steps from their huge enclosed jacuzzi/hot tub. The 'tub' is tiled and filled with soothing jets and especially nice in inclement weather, ie our rainy season Nov to March. For all warm months, they have a lovely outdoor pool with ample space for sun bathing. It's peppered with chairs, some little tables and chaise lounges. Leave your car parked at the resort and walk to town, which is also steps away. Enjoy the shops, restaurants, wine tasting. Get take out from any of the establishments including a good grocery store (next door) and enjoy at the spa in the comfortable table/chair/umbrella covered area. Oh yeah, great spa services as well.

Room Tip: Pool Patio rooms in the teens are the best. Rooms have a little fridge, they supply wine glasses, co...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Mark W, Owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

Dear Beverly H,

Thank you so much for the terrific review! I always enjoy hearing from return guests that continue to enjoy Dr. Wilkinson's and our amenities.

As always, we look forward to your return!