“Great Getaway”

Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
“Great Getaway”
Reviewed 24 June 2006

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Dr. Wilkinsons Hot Springs Resort.

"The Works" were fantastic: we enjoyed the mud bath, mineral bath, steam room, blanket wrap, and massage.

The town of Calistoga is a fantastic destination for a resort.

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Reviewed 15 June 2006

Just returned from Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, a very clean and charming facility. The facial, performed in a charming Victorian cottage, was awesome. Anna Marie is the best - her technique, and the products used were outstanding. Having had many facials, this one ranks as one of the best.

Furthermore, this simple retreat is great for relaxing in the mineral pools, heated to 103 degrees, inside or out, after a day of wine tasting in Napa.

I highly recommend Dr. Wilkinson's and the charming town of Calistoga.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 5 June 2006

Just returned from three night stay. This is generally a very basic 2 or 3 star hotel. It is 52 years old and has been maintained well. The rooms are clean but are old and due for updating in some areas. We had a king patio room which was roomy. The bathroom has only a shower that is very small and leaves you no room to get out of the stream of water when it instantly goes from hot to ice cold, then back to scalding again. They obviously have some plumbing issues. If you can bring your own pillow, I would. The rooms are a little quirky but the grounds are pleasant, the pools wonderful and the location perfect. The mud bath is a fun and unique experience.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank 1buckley
Reviewed 30 May 2006

This is the first time I have stayed at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, in Calistoga, CA, I enjoyed myself so much I extended my stay 2 more nights. Every staff member that I came in contact during my stay was extremely friendly, helpfull and could not do enough to make my stay a pleasant one. This means a great deal to me as I have been in Customer Service and working with the public myself since 1971, so I know good service when I see if or encounter it. The pools, jacuzzi and spa treatments were wonderful. I have already recommended Dr. Wilkinson's to my friends and family and will return again. It has been so relaxing. It is within walking distance of shopping, grocery store, laundromat, wine tasting and more.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
SF, CA
Reviewed 30 May 2006

i live in SF, and had hoped to find a place in calistoga where i could spend a few visits out of the year to unwind and relax.. regretfully, i left feeling more stressed than when i arrived..

the rooms are made of dully painted brick and concrete. the bed was not level.. so my feet were a bit higher than my head.. the pillows were flat.. the foot of the bed was right at the door to the room, the bathroom didn't have a bathtub.. the sink in the bathroom sprayed my jeans with water when i went to wash my hands. the aircon was extremely loud and distruptive to a good night's sleep. all of this for 125-175/night..

on the upside, the staff was very friendly, and the room was clean. the massage was great, but there aren't any private rooms, or partitions between - so you couldn't converse with your massage therapist in a normal tone of voice to describe where you have injuries or areas requiring extra work, etc.

i ended up having to pay for two nights.. but left before the dinner hour on my second day - which i understand... but honestly, my bill came to roughly $500.. for one bad night of sleep in a lousy room.. the massage was great...

• Stayed May 2006
9 Thank WaterwomanSF
Reviewed 8 May 2006

While the rooms are rather spartan (cinderblock walls), the massage and mud baths are the ultimate and very reasonably priced. I relaxed more than I have in many a month. The staff are all very helpful and attentative. The only problem we had was some of the group had high blood pressure and were not able to take the mud baths as planned. However, the prices were adjusted accordingly. This was my second trip and it is going to become an annual event.

Stayed April 2005
Reviewed 4 April 2006

I just returned from a wonderful weekend at Dr. Wilkinson's. What a wonderful weekend. I have visited many spas in the area, and I must say I think this is my favorite. Get "the works"! It's truly a wonderful, relaxing afternoon. I highly recommed this spa.

• Stayed April 2006