“Getaway Wedding”

Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed 9 March 2010

My husband and I stated at Dr.s for our destination wedding/honeymoon. The villas are quaint and clean but what makes this place our favorite is the hot mud mineral bath. I'd do just about anything to be able to get into one of those tubs of steaming mud again.

Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 February 2010

We are Calistoga regulars who come every few months, and we usually stay at Indian Springs, where the lodge rooms are perfect (Frette linens, flatscreen TV, welcomed with a bottle of wine and a brand new beautiful bathroom, for $185 winter midweek) and we dream constantly about their geyser-fed, heated, outdoor olympic sized fantastic pool.They were all booked for the President's Day weekend so we settled for a double queen, patio room at Dr. Wilkinson's ($189) and did treatments and day pool passes at Indian Springs. I thought -- how bad could Dr. Wilkinson's be? The TripAdvisor reviews were good. Answer: Pretty bad. I think the folks who think Dr. Wilkinson's is wonderful just haven't been anywhere else. Let me first say that I adore midcentury modern. A place like this could have been remodeled to look smashing. Its clean lines provide excellent bones. I get the whole simple, natural, anti-bougie spa thing. This ISN'T IT. But honestly, this place is a DUMP. It looks like a decaying dump of a motor hotel. We stayed in a room that looked like it hadn't been redone since 1973. The musty smell hit us as soon as we entered the room and we spent our entire time there with the window open. We wished we had brought a candle to burn. Flowery, old, matted and smelly rust-brown flowery carpet. Cinderblock walls. Old, smelly curtains. A bathroom from 1963. Blue flowered wallpaper. I had a headache just from the decor, torn straight out of a 1976 suburban romper room. Tiny TV. We went to dinner and told ourselves we could at least relax at the pools, which were a quarter of the size of Indian Springs and had no floating devices as they do. Sadly, a child was allowed to bring a glass bottle to the pool area. It broke, a few pieces went into the pool, and they closed the pool only 5 minutes after we got in. We then spent 15 minutes in their indoor mineral pool -- heated to a high jacuzzi temp so that you can only safely be in there for 15 minutes before you pass out. Mind you, we LOVE the Indian Springs perfectly heated pool (just hot enough to feel delicious when the air is cool), which is open until midnight. We usually spend HOURS there, just floating. We thought we could do that at Wilkinsons. Instead, we spent 15 minutes in the hot, indoor pool crowded with four other couples, then just went back to our room, completely disheartened. The romance was all gone as we willed ourselves to sleep on the mushy mattresses in that smelly room, mumbling "God, what a dump." My husband woke up with back pain from the horrible mattress. On top of it all, there was no parking for us. The hotel lot was completely full so we had to park on the deserted street in front of the hotel. My husband was absolutely incredulous that we paid $200 for a place that we wouldn't pay $30 for if we found it off of a freeway in a random small town. We didn't even take pictures as we would be embarrassed to show them to friends and admit how much we paid. Don't do it. Do Indian Springs, or anywhere else.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank haightgirl
markwilkinson, co-owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2010

It is truly disconcerting to read such a scathing review! Fortunately, we have many satisfied and repeat guests (many of whom appear to be well travelled as evidenced by other TripAdvisor reviews).

Unfortunately, the night that this guest was here we did have an incident where we had to close two of the three mineral water pools about a half hour earlier than the normal closing time of 10:00PM due to broken glass by those particular pools. It should be noted that the indoor mineral water hot tub is 16'X24', which is hardly small!

Our housekeeping standards are high, our linens are fresh and of high quality, we have three mineral water pools (not just one) and our most recent renovations were co-ordinated by a well known S.F. hotel interior designer.

It appears that this reviewer has a favorite place (it seems as though the review was written more about the other establishment than us). Although we have a long and loyal following, this guest prefers another establishment and clearly would be happier returning to their favorite.

It should be noted that our midweek rates start at $149.00 and we have some amazing packages available as well.

As always, we appreciate any and all feedback. This is how we have maintained our long standing reputation and association with AAA. We are disappointed by this review but we also realize that we cannot please everyone....even though we would really like to!

Reviewed 5 January 2010

My husband I have have been going to Dr Wilkinsons for 25 years now. The rooms and grounds are always immaculately clean, the hot tub and two pools very clean and very relaxing. All of the treatments in the spa have been wonderful, and we always feel nurtured and well taken care of. You have to try the mud bath if you haven't experienced it before! Couldn't recommend more highly. :)

Tamara

Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2009

I recently stayed at the Dr Wilkinsons Hideaway Cottages in October. There were 6 friends traveling together for a weekend in wine country but we were having a hard time finding B&B's or hotels to accomodate all of us for 2 nights during the peak of the season. I read some great reviews on TripAdvisor on the Hideaway cottages and decide to give it try. We rented 2 side by side 1 bedroom cottages. Both cottages were 1 bedrooms with small kitchen and living room areas. We had the bedrooms set up with 2 twins in each and then there was a pull out in the living room. The cottages are small and nothing luxurious but they were both extremely clean, very quiet and they are in a great location, walking distance to downtown Calistoga yet tucked away on a quiet sidestreet. And we were there primarily for wine tasting and restuarants and not the hotel/spa/resort experience so this was perfect. Free parking was available as well.

The complimentary breakfast each morning was AMAZING, fresh fruit, oatmeal, muffins and scones with jams, coffee makers in the cottages.

We had a very comfortable stay in the Hideaway Cottages!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 December 2009

My 17 year old daughter and I stayed here for one night before Thanksgiving. Our room was on the second floor and very clean, quiet, cozy and inviting. We liked the individually wrapped jellie bellies in the room. The staff was wonderful--our check in went smoothly and we LOVED our mud baths and massages. It was just great. We felt pampered and totally relaxed afterward. If you're expecting a very luxurious spa, this isn't it but for us it was all we hoped for. Marsha, who took care of our mud and mineral baths was just great, she was caring, efficient and personable. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 November 2009

Usually my husband and I stay in B and Bs when we go away for a weekend but I decided to give him a break on the frou-frou and go to Dr. Wilkinson's instead. Glad I did! Large rooms, huge bathroom, very comfortable, big bed, quiet, steps from downtown, super nice check in. The huge heated pools are great. We did the spa treatments too - do not miss the mud baths! Totally relaxing. I would say the only drawback is the cinder block walls. If you can get past those - you will love this place! We will be back. OH, one more thing, rent some bikes from the downtown store, this is great biking country!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susanbunny_8
Reviewed 23 November 2009

The Ritz it is not. But, they are not trying to be the Ritz either. Clean, comfortable rooms, great pools and a fantastic location. It has been there forever and is still the spot for a mudbath. I read reviews before and after my trip and I am always amazed what some people are expecting. If you are going to pay between $100-$200, don't expect to stay at a place that has the same amenities of a place that charges $500-$1000. It's like going to Denny's, ordering a steak and getting upset that it is not as good as the steak you had at Morton's. The two are not the same. They are both good in their own ways but don't compare them. My room was in the Victorian House which my wife would have loved but I did not mind. The bed was comfortable, the water was hot, the TV and AC worked and I felt like the room was very clean. Parking was free and plentiful and the desk staff answered all my questions. It is what it is. It is not what it isn't.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo