“Amazing experience!!!”

Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed 14 April 2010

Had a great experience at "Doc's". Great room, wonderful pools, and a really nice staff. My brother and I enjoyed the mud baths and I really relaxed and appreciated the massage, which was a first for me. I left feeeling really mellow and relaxed! Tim, my massage therapist was great and gave me some tips for relaxation. Rooms were spacious and comfortable. The front desk recommended a small winery (Tudal) and they gave a great tour! In all, a great stay!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 April 2010

I have been using this facility since 2007 and have never been disappointed.

The staff is very attentive to your needs and very knowledgeable of the facilities and all that it has to offer. The spa services are wonderful and I recommend the following: facials, mineral baths and massages (1 hr). The masseuses are respectful, courteous, knowledgeable and professional.

I enjoy the separate dressing rooms for men and women and the staff is very cognizant of the intimate nature of what the business and i feel very relaxed and comfortable while in their care.

The pools (x3) are magnificent. They offer two (2) outdoor heated pools and the largest and most spectacular 'in-door hot tub" that I've ever seen. This hot tub can easily accommodate 20 - 25 people confortably. ( You have to see it to believe it!! Since it is enclosed, you can use this pool year round.... no matter the outside weather conditions (rain or shine).

The location is perfect, since it is on the main drag (Lincoln Avenue) so you can walk to various shops, restaurants and the grocery store.

So, if you're looking a for a place to swin, relax, spa or do absolutely nothing, this is the place. They also have a courtyard where you can sit at night where the weather is nice and enjoy eating your food with a nice bottle of wine.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 April 2010

On the drive to Dr. Wilkinson's in Calistoga, I got very, very sick. Not car-sick... food poisoning sick. Horrible. We had four reservations for "The Works" - mud bath, herbal bath, massage, etc. When we arrived, my friends informed the folks at Dr. Wilkinson's that I was ill, and the staff went way out of their way to take care of me and make me feel comfortable. They canceled my appointment, gave me a place to lie down, covered me with blankets, brought water, and checked on me regularly (and quietly) throughout our time there. My friends each got "the best massage I've ever had," and I was incredibly well cared for.

Fortunately, this was not my first visit to Dr. Wilkinson's. But unfortunately, since I'd been there before, I knew what I was missing.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tony C
Reviewed 9 March 2010

My husband and I stated at Dr.s for our destination wedding/honeymoon. The villas are quaint and clean but what makes this place our favorite is the hot mud mineral bath. I'd do just about anything to be able to get into one of those tubs of steaming mud again.

Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2010

We are Calistoga regulars who come every few months, and we usually stay at Indian Springs, where the lodge rooms are perfect (Frette linens, flatscreen TV, welcomed with a bottle of wine and a brand new beautiful bathroom, for $185 winter midweek) and we dream constantly about their geyser-fed, heated, outdoor olympic sized fantastic pool.They were all booked for the President's Day weekend so we settled for a double queen, patio room at Dr. Wilkinson's ($189) and did treatments and day pool passes at Indian Springs. I thought -- how bad could Dr. Wilkinson's be? The TripAdvisor reviews were good. Answer: Pretty bad. I think the folks who think Dr. Wilkinson's is wonderful just haven't been anywhere else. Let me first say that I adore midcentury modern. A place like this could have been remodeled to look smashing. Its clean lines provide excellent bones. I get the whole simple, natural, anti-bougie spa thing. This ISN'T IT. But honestly, this place is a DUMP. It looks like a decaying dump of a motor hotel. We stayed in a room that looked like it hadn't been redone since 1973. The musty smell hit us as soon as we entered the room and we spent our entire time there with the window open. We wished we had brought a candle to burn. Flowery, old, matted and smelly rust-brown flowery carpet. Cinderblock walls. Old, smelly curtains. A bathroom from 1963. Blue flowered wallpaper. I had a headache just from the decor, torn straight out of a 1976 suburban romper room. Tiny TV. We went to dinner and told ourselves we could at least relax at the pools, which were a quarter of the size of Indian Springs and had no floating devices as they do. Sadly, a child was allowed to bring a glass bottle to the pool area. It broke, a few pieces went into the pool, and they closed the pool only 5 minutes after we got in. We then spent 15 minutes in their indoor mineral pool -- heated to a high jacuzzi temp so that you can only safely be in there for 15 minutes before you pass out. Mind you, we LOVE the Indian Springs perfectly heated pool (just hot enough to feel delicious when the air is cool), which is open until midnight. We usually spend HOURS there, just floating. We thought we could do that at Wilkinsons. Instead, we spent 15 minutes in the hot, indoor pool crowded with four other couples, then just went back to our room, completely disheartened. The romance was all gone as we willed ourselves to sleep on the mushy mattresses in that smelly room, mumbling "God, what a dump." My husband woke up with back pain from the horrible mattress. On top of it all, there was no parking for us. The hotel lot was completely full so we had to park on the deserted street in front of the hotel. My husband was absolutely incredulous that we paid $200 for a place that we wouldn't pay $30 for if we found it off of a freeway in a random small town. We didn't even take pictures as we would be embarrassed to show them to friends and admit how much we paid. Don't do it. Do Indian Springs, or anywhere else.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank haightgirl
markwilkinson, co-owner at Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2010

It is truly disconcerting to read such a scathing review! Fortunately, we have many satisfied and repeat guests (many of whom appear to be well travelled as evidenced by other TripAdvisor reviews).

Unfortunately, the night that this guest was here we did have an incident where we had to close two of the three mineral water pools about a half hour earlier than the normal closing time of 10:00PM due to broken glass by those particular pools. It should be noted that the indoor mineral water hot tub is 16'X24', which is hardly small!

Our housekeeping standards are high, our linens are fresh and of high quality, we have three mineral water pools (not just one) and our most recent renovations were co-ordinated by a well known S.F. hotel interior designer.

It appears that this reviewer has a favorite place (it seems as though the review was written more about the other establishment than us). Although we have a long and loyal following, this guest prefers another establishment and clearly would be happier returning to their favorite.

It should be noted that our midweek rates start at $149.00 and we have some amazing packages available as well.

As always, we appreciate any and all feedback. This is how we have maintained our long standing reputation and association with AAA. We are disappointed by this review but we also realize that we cannot please everyone....even though we would really like to!

Reviewed 5 January 2010

My husband I have have been going to Dr Wilkinsons for 25 years now. The rooms and grounds are always immaculately clean, the hot tub and two pools very clean and very relaxing. All of the treatments in the spa have been wonderful, and we always feel nurtured and well taken care of. You have to try the mud bath if you haven't experienced it before! Couldn't recommend more highly. :)

Tamara

Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2009

I recently stayed at the Dr Wilkinsons Hideaway Cottages in October. There were 6 friends traveling together for a weekend in wine country but we were having a hard time finding B&B's or hotels to accomodate all of us for 2 nights during the peak of the season. I read some great reviews on TripAdvisor on the Hideaway cottages and decide to give it try. We rented 2 side by side 1 bedroom cottages. Both cottages were 1 bedrooms with small kitchen and living room areas. We had the bedrooms set up with 2 twins in each and then there was a pull out in the living room. The cottages are small and nothing luxurious but they were both extremely clean, very quiet and they are in a great location, walking distance to downtown Calistoga yet tucked away on a quiet sidestreet. And we were there primarily for wine tasting and restuarants and not the hotel/spa/resort experience so this was perfect. Free parking was available as well.

The complimentary breakfast each morning was AMAZING, fresh fruit, oatmeal, muffins and scones with jams, coffee makers in the cottages.

We had a very comfortable stay in the Hideaway Cottages!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends