“The Works is the Bomb”

Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed 15 September 2010

I thouroughly enjoyed my first (and I hope not last) treatment at Dr. Wilkinson's. The mud bath intrigued me, so I signed up for "the works," - mud bath, mineral whirlpool, steam room, wrapped rest and massage. The entire experience was excellent. Staff made me feel welcome and comfortable throughout. The massage was wonderfully deep, but did not leave me sore. I left feeling all aglow and invigorated. I highly recommend this place with the caveat that prospective clients read about the process on the resort's Website and read negative as well as positive reviews to determine if this is the right place for you. Anyone looking for a frou-frou spa or who would be uncomfortable with nudity or with, well, mud, should look elswhere. If you want an authentic and professional spa treatment in the old-world sense, get thee to Dr. Wilkinson's. Treatments are fairly priced and represent good value, i.e. an hour massage is 60, not 50 minutes, as has become standard at many spas.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tellurian
There are newer reviews for Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs Resort

Reviewed 26 August 2010

We stayed here as part of our honeymoon road trip around California and this was the perfect antedote to a lot of driving and an overly ambitious schedule. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The accommodation is a motel, but the best one we have ever seen - very well laid out with landscaped courtyards in the centre and great mineral water pools (2 outdoor and 1 indoor). The adjoining spa takes the place to a whole new level and there we enjoyed the best massages we have ever had. We'd love to come back.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2010

During a 2 week trip to california with my wife, we headed to calistoga to escape a chilly SanFran and were fortunate to end up in this great little Motel.

We hadn't booked accommodation and thought to stay in a B&B for a night in Calistoga. But the B&Bs were dearer than this motel and we booked in. What a great decision. Rooms were much nicer that we expected - large, clean and well decorated and equiped. Real highlights of this motel was the pools - it has 3 mineral pools of different temps - from warm to hot bath - 2 outside and one indoors. We liked the motel and calistoga so much we stayed another night.

No breakfast but free parking and a short walk to the main street and it's shops & diners.

Word on Calistoga - great "small town america" location and I say that with the utmost respect. Nice people, good food and lovely little town - it even had a county fair on while we were there - must be a great place to live.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2010

Just back in from a great trip to Dr. Wilkinson's. I 've been a frequent flyer there for years and no matter what season you go, it's always a treat. The staff is friendly, with exceptional spa treatments-mudbaths and massages.. Need I say more? Also, the Victorian rooms are quiet- and beautiful -to stay in. I'll be back!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2010

The hotel is basic, refurbished motel.
The location is really great just steps from a wonderful supermarket with lots of organic offerings.
It was difficult to sleep at night because of the light in the hallway.
Rooms with 2 queens are cramped.
I had breakfast at Sarfornia it was decent. We had BBQ at the BBQ place on the junction it was good but too much sugar in the coleslaw and the sauces.
Next time I am trying Jole, Solage and Calistoga Inn .
Make sure to stop at Bouchon Bakery in Yountville for fabulous pastries.
I love the Model Bakery on Main St. in St. Helena for lunch, great salads, seasonal pizza, sandwiches and pastries.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed 4 July 2010

This being my second trip to Doc's, I was dearly looking forward to another warm, soothing feeling while lying in a mud bath - it did not disappoint. It's delightful wiggling one's toes, fingers, the cooling sensation of cucumber slices on the eyelids and in general, ideal contentment. Next was a whirlpool bath followed by relaxing, while lying prone, snuggled in a thick, terry robe. A steam bath was next, followed by a deep-tissue massage, (one can choose the type of massage). The kindliness extended by the staff is exceptional.

Having friends in the area, I did not stay at the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 June 2010

My boyfriend whisked me away on a birthday getaway. After a day of over eating and drinking in the Napa Valley i was feeling fabulous. I awoke the next morning feeling a little hungover to say the least. I was considering cutting the trip short but my man assured me that he had planned the perfect followup day.
We ended up in the charming town of Calistoga. We were greeted with a friendly welcome and some fresh strawberries. We were taken to our mud baths where I was at first a little aprehensive but quickly forgot all about that. I loved the feeling of the warm mud and clay. and of couse the cool cucumbers on my eyes were a nice touch. This was followed by a mineral bath and then a sauna. To top it off was a great massage from Cassy. I was 100% revived and made my man promise we'd go there again. Next time my treat, (I love'd it that much)! Perfect weekend in Napa and it was all because of you Dr. Wilkinson and family!

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple