“Excellent Place to Relax in Calistoga!!!”

The Sunburst Calistoga
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
San Francisco, California
“Excellent Place to Relax in Calistoga!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Those people who left BAD reviews - don't even come here. It will be more space for those who love to stay here. Great, updated hotel. Everything is brand new. Very good breakfast in the morning. Amazingly polite stuff at front desk. We loved every minute we spend there!!! We are defiantly coming back again and again!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Olga K
Casey K, General Manager at The Sunburst Calistoga, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear OlgaZhenya,

Thank you for taking the time to share your guest experience at The Sunburst Calistoga and I'm delighted to know you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us in our remodeled guest rooms. I will definitely share your wonderful comments with my entire team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when your travel plans bring you back to beautiful Calistoga!

Casey Klein

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Yes, this is a motel but it's updated very nicely and it doesn't feel like a motel. Super clean, great decor, friendly and helpful staff, and overall fantastic experience. It's a bit pricey for what it is for my taste usually but that's Calistoga prices. I don't regret staying here for a minute and would do it again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vera F
Casey K, General Manager at The Sunburst Calistoga, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Vera F,

Thank you for your wonderful review and guest experience at The Sunburst Calistoga. I am delighted to know you enjoyed our remodeled guest rooms and I will definitely share your great comments with my entire team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when your travel plans bring you back through beautiful Calistoga!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Sunburst on a cold and rainy weekend. We had reserved an advertised special but they upgraded us because it was quiet. (Thank you Irene!). Cute new mid-century modern decor, nice colorful touches in the rooms, great pools and continental breakfast. Quiet location near the Silverado Trail, but close to town and wineries.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Redtree54
Casey K, General Manager at The Sunburst Calistoga, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Redtree54,

Thank you for taking the time to share your guest experience at The Sunburst Calistoga. I'm delighted that you enjoyed our remodeled guest rooms and that you found our location convenient to both downtown Calistoga and local wineries. I will definitely share your wonderful comments with our team and with Irene in particular! We hope to welcome you back to the hotel when your travel plans next bring you back through beautiful Calistoga!

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

The Sunburst is a old roadside motel updated with hip modern decor and a comfortable, down to earth vibe. We enjoyed our stay, though I can't say it's a good value if you are paying more than $150 a night.

Pros:
- updated rooms and what felt like a brand new bathroom;
- a nice low-key pool area with two pools and a hot tub;
- decent location amongst farms, 10 minute walk to downtown Calistoga and close to a great trailhead (Oat Hill Mine Trail)

Having said that, it is still a spruced up roadside motel so:

- room and bathroom are small, and while they are retro-hip they aren't luxurious at all;
- minimal noise insulation between rooms;
- some traffic noise;
- minimal amenities (Keurig coffee maker and fridge in room).

If you like places with "character" and are more self-serve than full-service, you'll probably like the Sunburst. Think the Kimpton hotel formula applied to a budget roadside motel with a dash of Palm Springs vibe and you'll probably have a good idea of what's in store.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mikelovesutah
Casey K, General Manager at The Sunburst Calistoga, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear mikelovesutah,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent guest experience at The Sunburst Calistoga. While I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, I apologize that we did not fully exceed your expectation. With that said, I am always working to improve your guest experience and I am currently looking into viable options to increase the soundproofing in between the neighboring guest walls and I would like to add additional amenities to elevate your overall guest experience as well. I hope that we may have the opportunity to serve you again as our guest when your travel plans bring you back to beautiful Calistoga.

Stanford, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband booked this as a surprise for Valentine's Day, oh was I disappointed, and almost cried when I saw this place...I actually thought it was a joke when he pulled into the parking lot of the motel (this is not a hotel)..he was shocked too. The website does not tell you this place is on the main road, very noisy, and looks like an upgraded Motel 6. Yes, the rooms were clean only a few large spiders in the bathroom, but there is no soundproofing. The bed was good, and luckily there was an heater with a noisy fan, so I could drown out the noise from the traffic and next door..no soundproofing at all. I can't believe this cost $200.00 per night, breakfast was a joke..boxes of cereal and pathetic-looking pastries. We looked and left immediately to find a real cafe in town. We would never come back here and recommend that the motel have more transparency as to its location.

Room Tip: The best tip is not to stay here, I do not understand these positive reviews from other guests.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BonBrit123
Casey K, General Manager at The Sunburst Calistoga, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear BonBrit123,

Firstly, thank you for choosing The Sunburst Calistoga as your preferred accommodations while visiting Calistoga. Please accept my sincerest apologies for your disappointment with regards to the location and for failing to meet your expectations. We are located at 1880 Lincoln Avenue just before Silverado Trail and I apologize for the severe discomfort you experienced as a result of the road noise; it is most unfortunate we did not offer one of our guest rooms along the back of our property that would have been more quiet and peaceful. I'm also sorry to read that our complimentary, continental breakfast fell short of your expectations as well; however, I greatly appreciate your feedback as this allows me to improve upon your guest experience and I hope that you may reconsider staying with us again. Please contact me directly so that I may secure your reservation and our best available accommodations.

Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

We just came back from three nights at the Sunburst in Calistoga and it could not have been more perfect. The place was pristine-clean, extremely comfortable and convent to everything we wanted to do. The bed was more comfortable than ours at home. We loved being able to step out the back door, wearing our warm, fuzzy sunburst robes and walk the 20 feet to the mineral springs. Casey (I'm not sure what exactly his job was because he was everywhere, all the time) always had a friendly smile and really went over in beyond to help ensure that we had everything we needed. Breakfast was tasty with hot out-of-the-oven muffins and breads - not your standard, stale hotel bagel. Overall this place was not just the best bargain in the valley but 3 times as good as the place we paid 3 times as much for in Sonoma. We will be back!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank C M
Casey K, General Manager at The Sunburst Calistoga, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear C M,

Thank you for choosing The Sunburst Calistoga and for sharing your recent guest experience. It is my pleasure to serve you and our guests to not only meet, but exceed your expectations as a newly remodeled hotel. I'm very pleased to know you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and I hope you welcome you back to our hotel when you travel plans bring you back through beautiful Calistoga.

Roseville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

What a great find for an inexpensive overnight in Calistoga! Casey at the front desk was a gem and upgraded us to two suites at no extra charge! Super friendly and welcoming staff.The bed was super comfy, the towels were nice and the whole place was very clean.

We enjoyed the warm pools and spa too.
enjoy,
Four Seasons Girls

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Casey K, General Manager at The Sunburst Calistoga, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Savveytraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent guest experience with us at The Sunburst Calistoga and I'm delighted to you know you thoroughly enjoyed your stay in our King Suite accommodations. It is my pleasure to serve you as our guests so that we may meet and exceed your expectations so you have a truly memorable and relaxing stay. We look forward to seeing you when you next travel through beautiful Calistoga!