“What an improvement!”

Calistoga Motor Lodge and Spa
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I viewed the Sunburst website and couldn't believe it was the old Calistoga Village Inn & Spa which I used to love til it turned into a dump! There were mixed reviews on TA but I took a chance and spent 4 days at the Sunburst- glad I did. I originally booked the room with the Roman Tub . This room faced the road & based on TA reviews, it could be a bit noisy. I requested a room change. There are only 4 rooms with tubs and they face the road so I opted for quiet over the tub. The manager, Casey, couldn't have been more accommodating. I received a room facing the mountains, which had a living room, for the same price. The rooms are vibrantly decorated and CLEAN! Fridge and Keurig coffee maker, too. The living room area is a good size. TVs in living room & bedroom. King bed & pillows were very comfortable. Essential Elements soap, lotion, shampoo & conditioner. Air conditioning in both rooms that actually work... Pool & hot tub area are great. The property is beautifully landscaped. Lots of parking & a ten minute walk to town. The bathroom is small and as is typical for most motels, the walls are thin where the rooms adjoin. Other than that I can't say enough good things about the Sunburst! The staff is friendly and helpful. Will be staying here again on my next trip to Calistoga.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, request a room in the back.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 415kmd
Casey K, General Manager at Calistoga Motor Lodge and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear 415kmd,

Thank you for your wonderful review of The Sunburst Calistoga and I'm delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay in our new boutique hotel for 4 nights! I will definitely share your great comments with my entire team and we look forward to having you as our guest again when you next travel through beautiful Calistoga!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

The "king parlor" advertised as two rooms were very small in size and there is no door separating the two rooms, so less than ideal for families who have members that wake up and go to bed at different times. The bathroom is also small and no bathtub, only one hook in the bathroom to hang towels, the shower has a fabric curtain that lets water escape all over the bathroom when you shower. The breakfast is simple and you eat in the small lobby that does not really function so well for dining. The pool is probably the best part of the experience. For nearly $300 a night, I definitely expected more.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lilikoi200
Casey K, General Manager at Calistoga Motor Lodge and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Lilikoi B.,

First and foremost, thank you for choosing The Sunburst Calistoga as your preferred lodging accommodations while visiting beautiful Calistoga. I sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding our King Suite and parlor room and I would like to apologize for your disappointment in your overall guest experience. Currently, our King Suites are our largest room type and provide our best accommodations for families as the parlor room does offer a queen size sofa sleeper without having to reserve two separate guest rooms. With that said, I do understand that without a door separating the parlor room from the guest room it can be less than ideal, especially when it was described as two rooms. I will follow up with my team to more correctly describe our room types. In addition, I do realize we that need more hooks in the guest bathrooms and I hope to add additional hooks to every guest room. I am glad to know you did enjoy our mineral water pools and we would love to welcome you back to the hotel when you next travel through Calistoga. Please contact me directly so I may secure our best available rate and accommodation for your preferred dates of stay.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the Sunburst hotel in Calistoga! The staff and management are so kind and helpful. The swimming pools and hot tub are fantastic and the perfect temperatures. The rooms are completely newly redone and so comfortable. In addition, the hotel provides a delicious breakfast with fresh pastries, coffee and teas, as well as fresh fruits and yogurts. It is conveniently located about a 5-10 minute walk from the main street and the hotel gives you shuttle passes too. We will definitely come again as soon as we can!

Room Tip: All rooms are conveniently located a short distance from the swimming pool complex.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Caroline D
Casey K, General Manager at Calistoga Motor Lodge and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Dear Caroline D,

Thank you for sharing your fantastic review of The Sunburst Calistoga and I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay in one of our remodeled guest rooms and relaxed in our naturally heated mineral water pools and jacuzzi. I will definitely share your great comments with my entire team, too! We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when your travel plans bring you back through beautiful Calistoga!

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Nice large rooms (we were in the Jr. Suite) plenty of space for a family of 4. The kids had their own space in the living room w/ it's pull out couch. The grounds are nice, there is a farm behind the property- sweet to hear chickens and goats while we were playing in the pool. The breakfast was thoughtful and plentiful. The staff was very sweet and attentive at check in.

My only complaint is about the pool- too much chlorine in the mineral pool for my family. I realize that it's a necessary evil but just a tad too much when you can still smell it on your skin after you've showered. And you guys have nice toiletry products too- chlorine scent ruins it. Our kids have eczema and we visit Calistoga often for the healing properties of the mineral pools.

Enjoyed the property, the staff and appreciate the snacks...I just wanted to love the pool, but it doesn't work for my family. sorry.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Casey K, General Manager at Calistoga Motor Lodge and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear SEAtraveler_7,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent guest experience at The Sunburst Calistoga. I am pleased to know you enjoyed your stay in our King Suite as your preferred accommodation and I will definitely share your great comments with my team!

With that said, I would like to take a moment to apologize that either one or both of our mineral pools were too chlorinated for you and your family. While we do add chlorine to our pools and jacuzzi, our maintenance team measures and regularly checks the chlorine and pH levels twice daily to ensure the chemical readings are well within the regulations implemented by the Health Department. I will follow up with each member of my maintenance team to reaffirm our pools are chemically balanced.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel if your travel plans take you back through Calistoga and please contact me directly so I may secure our best available rate and accommodations for you and your family.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Wonderful place to stay! Scenery is amazing, pools are perfect, and the rooms are awesome! Friendly staff, free breakfast, wifi, parking, and coffee, tea, and fruit all day. Can't wait to return! LGBT friendly; my wife and I were treated like family. We met so many nice people there, and the atmosphere is welcoming and very family friendly. We loved the fresh new decor, and the grounds were beautiful and well-maintained. The king suite was like our own little apartment. Nice to have space to spread out. Highly suggest Sunburst!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank sfteacher
Casey K, General Manager at Calistoga Motor Lodge and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear sfteacher,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful guest experience at The Sunburst Calistoga! I am delighted to know you thoroughly enjoyed your stay in one of our remodeled King Suite guest rooms. I will definitely share your great comments with my team and we look forward to welcoming you back when you travel plans bring you back through beautiful Calistoga!

Reviewed 29 March 2014

The four days (March 13-16) were an incredible time for us. We had searched for the perfect place to stay for our trip to the Napa wine country and it was found at the Sunburst. No matter what the need or request, we were met with smiling faces and prompt service. The suite was spacious and accommodated all four girls with all their luggage. Grateful for the early morning breakfast in the lobby and the Keurig coffee maker in the room was a treat. You will not find a more friendly staff and we are looking forward to next year. Oh yes, we could not wait to get back to our room in the afternoon to take advantage of the pools.

Room Tip: Stay close to the wonderful pool!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Casey K, General Manager at Calistoga Motor Lodge and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Dear cthomas541,

Thank you for your sharing your wonderful guest experience at The Sunburst Calistoga. I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and your preferred accommodations in one of our King Suites was perfect for everyone. I will definitely share your comments with my entire team as we always strive to provide superb customer service and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when your travel plans bring you back through beautiful Calistoga.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Having just been offered a motel room for over $200 we were delighted to find just up the road there was a motel, recently beautifully refurbished, where we were warmly welcomed by the manager and offered a delightful room at less than half the price. Our room was spacious and comfortably furnished and had an enormous sunken shower room.

While my wife enjoyed a swim in the outdoor pool I enquired at the reception desk about local restaurants, what were their specialities and were there good examples in close driving distance. I was given some excellent advice and then came the sort of news that the traveller dreams about. "Don't worry about driving", said the manager, "Take the free Calistoga shuttle 'bus. Tell me when you want to go, tell your waiter to call it when you want to come back, and remember there is no charge."

We took the shuttle to Brannins Restaurant in the Main Street (which looked like a Main Street in a place called Calistoga should look) driven by an entertaining and informative driver. The restaurant was very good with good steaks, helpful service and some fine wines. We enjoyed an after dinner tot or two and then the waiter summoned the shuttle and back we went to our comfy bed for a good night's sleep.

The next day the included breakfast was generous and varied. We thanked the young receptionist
and set off congratulating ourselves on finding the sort of accommodation that travellers dream of but seldom get and all at a very acceptable price.

I had only one regret: I should have loved to have brought that shower room home with me!

Room Tip: It is a motel. All rooms are ground level. We had room 105 on the front and heard no outside noise...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Casey K, General Manager at Calistoga Motor Lodge and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear PCHOxfordshire,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful guest experience at The Sunburst Calistoga! I'm delighted your thoroughly enjoyed your stay in one of our King Deluxe guest rooms with the Roman Tub and the complimentary shuttle service provided by the City of Calistoga is fantastic for exploring beautiful downtown! Thank you again for choosing our hotel and we hope to welcome you back when your travel plans bring you back through Calistoga!