“Poor customer service”

Residence Inn Camarillo
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Camarillo
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I travel on business and stay in quite a few hotels like this one. Residence has nicely appointed rooms, but the customer service was not good. I checked in a few nights ago, and was given a very small suite. I was booked for an extended stay (8 weeks) and asked the desk if I could more to a larger room to be more comfortable, since I was planning on staying for such a long time. The woman at the front desk flatly refused, unless I was willing to pay the difference on a larger suite. You would think the hotel would try to accommodate a frequent traveller like myself! Never again; I will head back to the Hilton family of hotels after this.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Lisa R

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Just returned from a four nite stay and was very pleased.The property is quite new and very clean. Breakfast each morning was a positive experience, the evening social so was just OK. I wouldn't stay here thinking that the evening social would serve to provide you with an adequate dinner. There are many restaurants close by but you will need to get back onto 101 to get to them. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: This property is very close to 101 so road noise can be heard from the rooms in the front of the hot...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We were surprised at how nice the room was. Ours was big, clean, well-appointed, and comfy. staff was friendly and in addition to free breakfast, on several days they offered free food at dinner time as well.

They were accommodating and welcome. Staying here felt relaxing because from the moment we walked in we sensed that this was a well run business.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The short version:
A housekeeper stole my engagement ring; the entire staff was completely uncaring about the incident and didn't do a single thing about it. (they wouldn't even speak with their own housekeeping staff until I got someone from corporate involved).

Also, I'd echo the other reviews here about not-the-cleanest ... when we checked in, there were hair ties, with hair stuck in them, in the bathroom drawers, and partially eaten food in the fridge. That's just gross.

The long-winded story:
We stayed at this Residence Inn for 3 weeks when we moved to the area, while we were waiting for our home to be ready. The evening before our movers were scheduled to move us into our home, I put the two rings that I always wear into my plastic travel jewelry case, and then put the jewelry case into the dresser, where I’d been keeping it the entire 3 weeks we’d been staying at the hotel. One of the rings was my engagement ring. I did not want to wear any jewelry on moving/unpacking day, as I didn’t want to lose it. The next day we checked out of the hotel and brought all of our things to our home, and began unpacking. I realized that night that my engagement ring was missing from my jewelry case – the other ring was there, right where I’d put it, along with all of my other jewelry, but the engagement ring (obviously the most expensive item) was gone. Note that the "jewelry case" is actually a fishing tackle box - very sturdy with secure clasps. I immediately called the hotel; they let me know that the room had already been checked into by someone else and they couldn’t enter the room or knock, as it was late. My husband went down to the hotel early the next morning, where the front desk gave him the run around. I called the hotel that afternoon, and they acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. When I explained the situation, they again stated someone had rented the room, but said they would speak to the housekeeping staff and call me back. No one called me back, so I called again the next day; I was told that no one had yet spoke to housekeeping, nor had they even knocked on the door to see if the current tenants would let them look around the room. Since I could not get anyone to take any action at the hotel, I then called a person at Corporate Marriott, whose contact info I got through my company's relocation team. The corporate person got in touch with the manager at the Residence Inn who finally called me back. According to the manager, no one had informed her of the situation. She basically told me there was nothing they could do other than search the room, and claimed that nothing like this had ever happened before. I filed a police report that evening, but, given that it was 3-4 days after the ring was stolen, I doubt the ring will be found. I was later contacted by someone at Marriott corporate claims office who informed me that this was not Marriott’s fault, and they would not take any responsibility, but to please call them if I found the ring. Seriously?

I understand that these things happen, I was an idiot to leave my ring there, and clearly they have one dishonest employee. What I find unacceptable, however, is that the rest of the staff was so uncaring and uncommunicative about this event (which, given the sentimental nature of what was stolen, was pretty awful for me). I know these places are franchised, but I won't be staying at ANY Marriott in the future, as I just don't want to be reminded of this one.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank E W
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The Residence Inn in Camarillo met our requirements nicely as we were in the process of relocating overseas. We had a pet cat that was travelling with us and we needed the room for four nights. We were expecting a "pet-friendly" room that was probably of lower cleanliness than the normal rooms. What we got was a "pet-friendly" room that had no evidence of previous pet guests! It was just as clean and comfortable as any of the other Marriott rooms I had stayed in!

There were several things that I enjoyed about this hotel , including the pool, breakfast, manager's reception, laundry facility, and exercise room. But the thing that really stood out to me was the friendliness of the entire staff, (cleaning, front desk and the people taking care of the meal area). Everybody was very help and very pleasant.

Room Tip: It's an easy on/off with the 101 freeway, but does require a vehicle to get to any dining facili...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DaveD-on-Kwaj
Reviewed 27 August 2013

So, we had previously been staying at Homewood Suites in Oxnard, which I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend. It's really nice, a step above the Residence Inn although they are in the same price range. But they were unavailable the remaining night of our stay, so we switched. Ugh, the difference was huge.

I checked in right at 3 PM. The room they gave me (one bedroom suite) smelled so, so bad and it hit me like a ton of bricks the second I stepped in. It smelled like a Korean BBQ/Mexican restaurant and like someone had literally been cooking onions 4 minutes before I walked in. Horrified, but in a hurry, I opened all the windows, turned on the bathroom and kitchen fans, and prayed that it would air out. Also, I found the trash cans completely full. The kitchen trash reeked and had food in it. I was about to puke. Called housekeeping to take it out, and assumed the smell would be gone when I returned. I literally feel like the room was barely cleaned from the last person. It was DISGUSTING. The room not only smelled, but it didn't feel clean at all.

Arrived back late, late that night, and upon entering with my husband and children, all of us freaked over the nasty food smell that was still STRONG. Thanks, Residence Inn. Who cleans this place?? We moved rooms, and admittedly, they were very understanding, but ew. I felt so sorry for the next person who got the room from smelly hell. I couldn't shake the whole thing and didn't feel very comfortable or clean the rest of the stay, even in our new room.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank HL950
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Our family stayed at the Residence Inn while our house was being fumigated for termites. This hotel allows pets and we were very happy we could bring our cat. Our suite was very nice, spacious and had no pet odors at all. It was nice having a full kitchen.

The complimentary buffet breakfast had a good variety and our kids had breakfast before leaving for school. One of the nights during our stay the hotel had complimentary BBQ hamburgers and beverages. There's a little convenience store by the front desk where you buy snacks and bottled water or sodas. The staff is very friendly and make you feel welcome.

The only negative comments are about the furniture. The beds were comfortable, but the sofa sleeper was horrible. The "mattress" was so thin that it was painful to try to sleep on it. The sofas and chairs were pretty worn out and need to be replaced.

We would definitely stay here again if we need to and we have recommended it to friends who had out of town guests visiting and needed a inexpensive, but nice, hotel to stay at. If you do not have pets and are concerned that the rooms would smell bad from previous pets staying there, our suite did not have any odors at all.

Room Tip: If you want ice for your room/suite buy it at the market or liquor store. There are no ice machines...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camarillo
Hampton Inn & Suites Camarillo
#2 of 10 in Camarillo
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oxnard/Camarillo
Days Inn Camarillo - Ventura
Camarillo Executive Inn & Suites

Been to Residence Inn Camarillo? Share your experiences!