“An almost ideal hotel”

Hampton Inn & Suites Camarillo
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Camarillo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 March 2012

The main feature of this hotel is management’s attitude towards pleasing its guests, something visible in signs all over the hotel and nice touches like a lemon-scented fountain with ice water in the lobby. The hotel’s location is very convenient off the freeway, while its physical arrangements are superb: spacious public areas and comfortable, fully equipped rooms complete with fridge, microwave, coffee maker, comfortable desk. Management not only avoids gouging guests with irritating “fees,” (such as the ridiculous “parking fee” as if you are a townie using a hotel’s parking lot to go shopping in town) but also offers not only a free rich hot breakfast buffet but also, surprise, a free evening reception. The hotel does not accept pets, so your room is free from animal-borne diseases and you are not awakened by barking at night. Finally the staff spared no effort to satisfy our room preferences and did so with gracious courtesy. Well, no one’s perfect and here are a few pointers management could consider to further increase the exceptional quality of this hotel: the hotel needs an Entrance sign at the junction of Daily Drive and the driveway between two fast food restaurants near the convenient Mobil station; without it one has difficulty finding the hotel entrance the first time. The nice flat screen TV offers HBO but neither many channels nor a Guide channel that would let you know which programs are on and scheduled. The room’s attractive table lamps are equipped with cheap switches which often malfunction; it was impossible to turn off the lamp on the desk and we had to pull the plug out of the wall. The bathroom vanity was not spacious and a single switch controlled both the light and the exhaust fan, thus the noisy fan had to be on even if it was not needed. The tub's bottom is mirror-smooth and can cause slipping, something that may result in serious injury. At least there is a handle one can hold on. The welcome free Wi-Fi service’s signal was too weak to enable Internet access, at least not on the top floor. The vending machine does not accept cash and requires the use of a credit card. But how can guests give their precious credit card information to a crude machine that neither issues a receipt nor gives information about its owner? Because my wife was dying of thirst, I reluctantly used my card and now I’m checking my card’s activity twice a day to stop possible fraudulent use. Last, although we stayed two nights, housekeeping did not service our room (i. e., making the beds, restocking towels, disposing of trash, cleaning the bathroom and restocking toiletries). Well, everyone goofs once in a while, but I thought that such a well-managed hotel would have a system in place to prevent such a glaring omission. But, in an era of greedy and substandard hotel practices, staying at this hotel was overall a very pleasant experience and we plan to stay there again on our next visit to Ventura County.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PatrickGe

Reviewed 22 February 2012

Good value, good staff, nice clean rooms. Very easy to get to. Ask to be away from freeway.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Orcasmama
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We stayed at the Hampton inn on the way to Santa Barbara. As always Hampton Inn does not disappoint. Rooms are always clean and nice. Breakfast area clean and breakfast was more than just a continental breakfast. When I checked in the clerk made mention of my request for extra towels, he said if they are not already there just let them know. As soon as I got to my room I notice the extra towels and before I had to a chance to walk out of the bathroom the front desk was calling to confirm that there were extra towels.
We always ask the front desk the best place to get dinner and he recommended a few, they choice we made was absolutely wonderful.
Will continue to always stay at Hampton Inn's

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank fvroadtrippers
haptoninncamarillo, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Camarillo, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am always glad to hear that my staff was helpful with restaurant recommendations as well as following up on your personal requests. We take great pride in giving excellent service as well as providing a clean comfortable room to every guest. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the area.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 28 December 2011

This place was so nice. NO PETS ALLOWED. Very Clean and everything looked new. The beds were comfortable and the shower/bathroom was nice and big. Hate when a hotel has a weak shower head output. NOT THIS PLACE. Nice and strong. Everything would have been perfect except, Hotels.com said they booked me a King size bed with a sofa bed. I walk in and NO SOFA BED. Since I booked with Hotels.com and not the hotel itself, they said I had to contact Hotels.com to fix the problem. Is this true? If not for that, everything would have been perfect. Very nice place to stay. Quiet too. There is a Pollo Loco and McDonalds 1/2 a minute away.

Room Tip: First floor is where I stayed and it was so quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank JRGarcia23
haptoninncamarillo, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Camarillo, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2012

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am glad you enjoyed our location as well as all the amentities including the nice shower. I do apologize for you not receiving the room with the sleeper sofa and I have contacted Hotels.com to ensure this does not happen again. We take great pride in providing excellent service as well as a clean comfortable room to every guest. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the area.

Michael Reardon General Manager

Reviewed 10 December 2011

Hampton Inn continues to meet my expectations--this is my 4th one in the last couple of years. This Camarillo location is not just another "pit stop" on the 101, but certainly made for a very nice home base during my recent weekend visit that included Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, Montecito, and Santa Barbara.

I checked in after 9:00 on a Friday night after a long drive from LAX and several planned stops enroute to Camarillo. Thankfully, I was greeted by a very friendly and helpful receptionist. He helped me with some minor wifi issues but otherwise, I found the room and bath very comfortable, spacious, and quiet. Breakfast the next day was more than adequate and was served in a nice, warm setting. There were lots of food options nearby and even a huge complex of outlet shops across the freeway.

Although quite convenient getting onto and from the 101, my GPS unit was thrown off when trying to find the driveway to the hotel for the first time.

Room Tip: The room did not have a safe and the safes behind the front desk were small. Maybe there's no n...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank REA-WashDC

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am always glad to hear that my staff was helpful as we take great pride in giving excellent service as well as providing a clean comfortable room to every guest. I am glad you enjoyed your weekend sojourn and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 30 November 2011

We stayed here after fleeing the nearby Quality Inn (which was intolerably noisy among other faults). I asked for a quiet room and the desk clerk was really helpful about suggesting options. The room he recommended was very quiet, and the hotel was really nice. Everything was of good quality, well maintained, and clean. Breakfast offered lots of options, and they provided free bottled water at check-in, coffee around the clock, and cookies at night. I've stayed at other Hampton Inns that were older and were pretty average. This one is new and quite nice. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back of the hotel, away from the freeway. Our room faced a McDonalds. It had an ob...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Aredubyou
haptoninncamarillo, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Camarillo, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2011

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am always glad to hear that the my staff was helpful as we take great pride in giving excellent service as well as providing a clean comfortable room to every guest. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the area and thank you for your business.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

The Hampton Inn in Camarillo has a combination of features and ammenties that make it an excellent choice for a stay in Camarillo. The experience begins with a friendly and efficient staff. The hotel is very well designed with a configuration that makes it easy to move around within the facility. It has an outstanding location, within walking distance of a shopping mall with probably the best Sushi restaurant in town along with Starbucks, Noah's Bagles and a Ralph's store. And for those that are visiting the Outlet Stores, the hotel is located right across the freeway.

The breakfast area is large and comfortable with a nice view out to the pool area. And the buffet breakfast itself is very complete with several choices that are well presented.

We usually stay at Residence Inns. But, after staying at the Residence Inn in Camarillo, we were disappointed and wanted to try someplace different. The Hampton Inn will be our choice whenever we visit Camarillo.

Room Tip: Ask for an odd-numbered room on the top floor. It will help to be a Hilton Honors member.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dean6042
haptoninncamarillo, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Camarillo, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2011

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am glad you enjoyed our location as well as all the amentities we have to offer. We take great pride in providing excellent service as well as a clean comfortable room to every guest. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the area.

Michael Reardon General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Camarillo
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oxnard/Camarillo
Residence Inn Camarillo
Residence Inn Camarillo
#5 of 10 in Camarillo
Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Camarillo? Share your experiences!