“Some of the best bagels around”

Old New York Bagel & Deli Company
Ranked #2 of 8 Bakeries in Camarillo
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Delicatessen
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Moorpark, CA
“Some of the best bagels around”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Have been here several times and all the bagels are beyond expections. I don't drink coffee but their tea selection is good. I have had some of their cookies and they are delicious. I love their onion bagels. If you have not tried you should. It's a wonderful experience especially you have never beent to New York.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank kathyqvo

“Heaven”
Reviewed 9 May 2013 via mobile

I had never been in New York Bagel & Deli. I was born and live in Mammoth Lakes where their sister store is located. I had no idea what I've been missing !!! My mother recently retired to Camarillo and when I came for a visit we were talking about a chef we had that made the most amazing dishes. She started salivating talking about his chocolate eclairs. I went in New York Deli to surprise her with one. Or two. She was in Heaven eating it. A few days later when both had vanished I went back to buy more. Oh No, they were out:-( Instead I bought her a piece of lemon cheesecake. I don't even like lemon and this was amazing it was so light and creamy. I also bought a piece of the chocolate chocolate cake & a piece of carrot cake. I had them throw in a red velvet cupcake that didn't make it back to the house. Im definitely going to have to start jogging twice as far every day now that I know about this place. If they put a Monte Cristo sandwich on their menu I'd definitely be there a few times a week. This place is heaven

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Mudsharks
Southern California
“When is pastrami not pastrami?”
Reviewed 1 May 2013

For the first time in quite a while, I was able to get out of my office to meet some friends for lunch. They chose Old New York Deli. I went along but wanted a meal option that was lesser of all the yummy evils one finds at a deli. I chose the turkey pastrami on Rye with deli mustard with a side salad. My choice was not the most healthy, but it also wasn't a corned beef and pastrami on rye with cheese and dressing with fries - I was going to enjoy this special lunch out!

My meal was delivered. The salad was a nice side salad that was more than just lettuce. It had mushrooms and peppers, red oniions and cucumbers.. MMMM! The sandwich however was a mess.

It was on Rye - yay, two points; it had some sort of turkey on it - hmph, but there was no mustard - the sandwich was absolutely dry- um, hello? This is supposed to be turkey PASTRAMI which is synonomous with deli mustard, is it not?. So, off to the counter I go. After waiting for two ladies to order and dink around with the cashier, and 3 employees walking around me as I stand there with my plate, I finally get some assistance. I present my plate and my receipt,
"Excuse me,this is supposed to be turkey pastrami. I think they made this wrong. Its just regular turkey"
Oh, OK , I'm sorry, we'll have this corrected
"Please dont forget the deli mustard."
OK.

I return to my friends at the table. The young woman helping me toddles off with my salad and sandwich in hand, only to return to my table in two minutes with the same plate and announces,
The cook said this IS turkey pastrami
"Shouldn't turkey pastrami have pepper on the outside similar to regular pastrami and be taste something like Pastrami?" I ask
She repeats, the cook said it's turkey pastrami
" Ok then, I really dont want it, please credit me"
OK
She walks off again with the sandwich and salad and my receipt. In a few minutes, she is back at the table, leaning across the divider - over my friends meal to ask for my credit card to process the credit. I hand it over. (she was no more than 10 feet away, in line of sight, so I felt comfortable doing this).

As she's standing at the register, back to me, she advises the manager Omar about the issue or I can only assume as much, as she had my receipt in hand and was pointing over her shoulder at me. Omar was on the phone (as he had been the entire time I had been in the restaurant). Omar, looks at the receipt, looks at her, looks at me, looks at the receipt and then rolls his eyes. Uh OH - I'm officially unglued! I storm off toward him... While hes still on the phone, he holds the phone down away from his head, when I proceed to advise him that I saw him roll his eyes at me, and I didnt appreciate it. (By the way, great customer service to whomever is on the phone, Omar. You were certainly engaged in that discussion, as well).
Ma'am this is our turkey pastrami
"No it's really not - it's regular turkey"
I wasn't rolling my eyes... I'm on the phone
"Clearly! Just process my refund"
I storm away - eyeballing Omar, my new bff, the whole way. A few minutes later, the cashier appears with my receipt and my credit card, again leaning over my friends lunch.
I then realize that my $1.89 soda was not refunded - OK, I did drink soda. I'm not upset about that, but seriously? You have an unhappy customer, why would you just not create a little good will and difuse the situation by crediting the whole meal?

My friends finished their meal and were headed back to the office, I however went down the shopping center two doors to Subway (Eat Fresh!) and got a much more healthy and less expensive meal - without Omar's stellar customer service skills.

What a disappointment; as over the past several years I've been to The Old NY Deli a number of times and have enjoyed the food - maybe not the service, come to think of it. I can find other places to eat when I do get the rare opportunity to be out of the office for lunch.

Way to go Omar! My company often buy bagels and fixings from your restaurant for morning meetings at my office, but I won't be back to purchase them the next time it's my turn to buy, nor will I be back for lunch.

• Visited May 2013
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Great Foods Choices”
Reviewed 27 March 2013

You will be able to find anything you like here--good service and very good food.
By the amount of customers, I would say this place is well known.

Visited March 2013
3 Thank joanmckibben
Camarillo, California
“Good Bakery, Good Food”
Reviewed 27 March 2013

This is always a good place for breakfast or lunch. The menu is pretty nice and we can't leave without taking home some treats from the bakery. I wouldn't call it a great value for what it offers, but the food is good and you can't beat the bakery selection. It's a good place for families with kids because no one is expecting an intimate atmosphere.

• Visited March 2013