“Great location!”
Review of Blue Dolphin Inn

Blue Dolphin Inn
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Cambria
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We spent the last two nights of 2013 at the Blue Dolphin and really liked the location; it's across the street from the ocean and a wonderful boardwalk that provides a great way to walk along the shore for over a mile. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful in making dinner reservations or answering our questions about the area. We had never been to Cambria and found it to be very charming and pretty as well as close to popular sights like the Hearst Castle, sea elephants viewing area, etc. Our corner room was 109 with a bit of an ocean view and nice amenities like a comfy bed, large bathroom with a jetted tub, coffee maker, fireplace etc. It was very comfortable except that there is an outside door adjacent to that room that other guests use; it actually wasn't too noisy when we were there, but I can see that it could be. Because 109 is on the lower floor, there's a question about privacy as the windows allow anyone passing by to easily look in. The boxed breakfasts are adequate but nothing to rave about, and, all in all, we think the hotel is a bit overpriced. That said, we did have a good time and would consider coming back if we had the choice of a different room.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BKandCB
Karen F, General Manager at Blue Dolphin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you had a nice time while staying in Cambria. It is important to us to hear guest feedback so that we can continue to improve upon our service and product. Please come back soon!
Sincerely

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Even though we didn't have a room with a view, the room was great. Nice and clean. Every morning they delivered a bag with breakfast, we took ours to the front patio and have a feast, the nicest view with the best breakfast!! Since we arrived back home, we have been reccomending this place to our friends.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Heidy H

Thank you for your very nice comments on Trip Advisor. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at BDI. We take great pride in providing a superior customer experience. Please come back soon!

Sincerely

Reviewed 30 December 2013

My husband and I spent 2 nights here in the seascape cottage of moonstone cottages: studio-like rooms a few doors down from the Blue Dolphin Inn. It was a quaint little place, with a comfy bed, fireplace heater, and a large bathroom. Very cosy. We looked right out on the water, and even though it's colder this time of year, it was nice to open the blinds and see the ocean! Three downsides: 1) since the cottage looks out on the street and is at ground level, we kept our blinds closed for privacy, which means we lost our view of the water; 2) wifi in the front apartment is terrible, but it seems to be better further back by the other cottages; and 3) breakfast is extremely overrated. I would have rathered get up and go to a breakfast room the deal with wrong orders, missing orders, and limp toast. They were very nice about replacing the items, however. Just an unnecessary hassle on holiday. All in all a sweet little place if you're looking for privacy and a beach view!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Karen F, General Manager at Blue Dolphin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Thank you for staying with us in our “Seascape” Cottage. The cottages are unique in themselves and because they are free standing involve a little more TLC. We are currently working on a solution for the WIFI. I have taken the necessary steps with our Food and Beverage Manager to ensure that the quality of the breakfast items are presented and served properly. This should not have happened during your stay. I appreciate your comments!
Happy New Year!
I hope that you return soon!
Regards

Reviewed 29 December 2013

The Blue Dolphin never disappoints. We spent 5 days here over Christmas with our 2 Labs. Our pet friendly room was lovely, the picnic breakfasts very good (loved the yogurt parfait), and the staff gracious. The cute Holiday ornament hung on our door Christmas morning was a nice surprise. Moonstone Beach is a gorgeous walk, and Cambria is full of little shops & terrific restaurants. We're hoping for our third visit soon!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

WOW, thank you for your wonderful comments. I am glad that we never disappoint, we strive to provide a superior customer experience. I hope that you display your ornament at Christmas this year and think of us.

Happy New Year
Regards,

Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

My family and I celebrated my mom's birthday here, and we loved every minute. The front desk staff was amazing, the room was lovely and large, and the location could not be beat. The ocean is literally in front of you, and it's gorgeous. It's a nice touch to send breakfast to your room to take out picnic style and to have robes and slippers for every member of your party. They also set up cake and cookies for my mom's special birthday. The lobby was also beautifully decorated and smelled so good!

One suggestion: more chairs for sitting outside. My husband and dad had to sit on a concrete wall since there weren't enough chairs to go around.

Stayed: December 2013

Thank you for staying with us! I am glad to hear that your mom’s birthday went well. Moonstone Beach is such a beautiful area and makes any occasion delightful. We are so fortunate and appreciative of our location. I appreciate your comments regarding the chairs, great idea! I will be sure to inform the owners and I am sure they will look into this for the future.
Happy New Year!

Regards,

Reviewed 8 December 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Blue Dolphin Inn when on holiday in California in October 2013.

We had such a wonderful time and could not recommend it enough!

The location is fantastic - right on the beach, which is perfect for walks and views.

You can order a "picnic" breakfast which is delivered to your room, and allows you to take your breakfast out to eat on the beach, listening to the surf and watching surfers.

Our room was large, with a huge comfortable bed and big fluffy dressing gowns - it was also clean and cosy.

On arrival the reception team welcomed me using my new married name and had organised for a cake to welcome us in our room. It was a very nice touch which made us feel very special.

Couldn't recommend it enough!

Room Tip: If you are celebrating a special occasion please let reception know as they will make you feel very...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your very nice comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is so nice to hear that the “little things” provided can make a special occasion memorable.

We hope to see you return soon.
Regards

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Though we have been to Cambria a few times before, this was our first experience with the Blue Dolphin Inn. We will make Blue Dolphin Inn our go-to place for the area from now on. The rooms were sized well. The view (even the partial-view room we had) was great. The hotel was quiet. The beach boardwalk is just across the road. The sitting areas in front to watch the sun set was nice. And the detail to even the smallest of amenities was appreciated. We had fresh baked cookies in our room each day. We were pleasantly surprised with the quality of the breakfasts they provide. Having a Keurig coffee machine in each room really won me over since I was able to bring my own favorites from home as well as enjoying the ones they provided. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, as we did make a few requests of them which they followed up on immediately.

Only two improvements that I can think of: (1) Better air circulation in the hallways. They were a bit warm and stuffy feeling. (2) Better shower heads. They are big and round and don't provide sufficient concentrated flow of water. It was difficult trying to rinse shampoo out of long hair with only a mild rain shower. I ended up sticking my head under the bath-tub water flow to rinse out my hair.

Overall this Inn made our Thanksgiving trip with another couple very pleasant and relaxing.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Karen F, General Manager at Blue Dolphin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Hello Angela,
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at Blue Dolphin Inn during the Thanksgiving weekend. My staff appreciates that our guest acknowledges our little attention to details. It is important to us that we provide each and every guest with a superior customer experience. I have also informed our maintenance engineer to inspect the shower head. I am sure that it is something that he can remedy quickly.
I hope you return again soon!