“Enchanting”
Review of Blue Dolphin Inn

Blue Dolphin Inn
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Cambria
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I loved everything about the BDI. From the warm reception, to the fabulous location, to the most clean, comfortable and welcoming room. We stayed in Room 208 and the room, while not large, was very well done and inviting. The creams and blues are so tasteful and relaxing and the bed was very comfortable. I loved all the thoughtful touches...the coffee maker with plenty of coffee and delicious teas, the cookies left in the room, the bathrobes & slippers, the free wi-fi....just everything was so perfect. My husband and I, along with my sister and brother in law, loved everything about your beautiful property and your lovely staff.

Room Tip: Book VERY early if you want one of the rooms with a full ocean view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Karen_Fyfe, General Manager at Blue Dolphin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Sounds like you had a wonderful experience and that is what we strive for. The little touches are the things that make a big difference. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences here. And thank you for the kind words about our staff, we are so fortunate to have a great crew working for us.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

My husband and I stayed one night in lovely Cambria. We would return, as we didn't plan on the towns of East and West Cambria offering as much as they did in the way of interesting shops and good dining. We stayed at the Blue Dolphin Inn and had a lovely partial ocean view room. The bed was huge and extremely comfortable. The reception was warm and welcoming. The room had all the amenities you would expect in a 4* hotel, including fridge, Keurig coffee machine, flat screen TV, robes, and a small dining table where we had our breakfast overlooking the ocean. The breakfast is ordered the night before and comes at the hour you designate. There was a choice of "main course" and two side dishes and a drink. We both had different styles of bagels, and fresh seasonal fruit, a large Greek yogurt, and a juice. I was happy to be able to get cranberry juice! We could have taken the breakfast on a "picnic" to the beach or eaten outside, if the weather permitted, but in February the mornings are a bit brisk for eating outside. Also, it's literally across the street from the beach and a long boardwalk, on which which we enjoyed a long stroll before dinner. All in all, a lovely quiet Inn with beautiful features and I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view or partial ocean view, or you might get a room at the back of the Inn. Front...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Karen_Fyfe, General Manager at Blue Dolphin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thank you, Deborah. We are so happy you had such a memorable visit. Cambria is a delightful town with much to offer. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Cheers,

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We booked a room and were told to call back to get a better room with a view if one became available. We called back and were given a better room with ocean few and paid for the upgrade. When we arrived, we were told the room reserved for us had water damage and thus we were downgraded to our first room. The place seemed half empty and we were not given a better room nor any future upgrade bonus or free nights. We were disappointed that such high nightly rates did not come with high end service and etiquette .

3  Thank margobgregory
Karen F, General Manager at Blue Dolphin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Hello,
I am sorry that you were disappointed with the service and accommodations provided to you while staying at Blue Dolphin Inn. I see that you did reserve a standard room and then upon your call and request, were upgraded to an ocean view. Unfortunately, during the time of your stay we were doing some upgrades and improvements to the facility, resulting in limited availability. We would never intentionally reserve one room for a guest and “downgrade” them unless absolutely necessary. It is unacceptable in the hospitality industry and it is not how we conduct business.
It was unfortunate that it rained during that week, consequently causing some unexpected water damage. We try to take all the necessary precautions when things like this occur so that our guest are not inconvenienced. I know that because of the limited availability, we had no other alternative but to move you back to the original room type reserved. This was a room not being worked on and not effected by water damage.
Please accept my sincere apology. I can assure you this is a rare and isolated incident. I hope that you return and give us another opportunity to accommodate your lodging needs in the future.

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed an ocean view suite with very comfy bed, quiet and great location in the middle of the strip of hotels overlooking the beach and boardwalk. Very friendly front desk staff. Keurig coffee in the room was a nice touch. Look forward to our return

• Stayed: February 2014
Karen F, General Manager at Blue Dolphin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you for staying with us at Blue Dolphin Inn. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. We hope you return again soon.
Sincerely

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Loved the ocean view but our room was just not up to expectation since we thought this was one of the top rated hotel in Cambria according to Trip Advisor. Everything looked great when we entered, with a beautiful view and a fireplace and nice decor. The problems surfaced when we started getting ready to bed. I kept giggling because the wooden bed squeaked with every movement...I kept sneezing but I have no known allergies...I started to cough when I put my head down on the pillow. We felt something's wrong with the beddings since we developed a little congestion. I was thinking, this would be a long night. Well for the next few days we both got sick and we suspected we may have picked up some germs from the pillows or something in the room. There were a few other annoying things but cleanliness in a hotel has to be top marks in our book. Maybe we should start bringing Lysol sprays with us on trips in the winter?

Room Tip: We liked the ocean view and you can hear it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Rejoiced
Karen F, General Manager at Blue Dolphin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Hi,
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that you had some problems with your room. I have verified the room number and I can assure you that these issues will be taken care of right away. Please, if in the future you have a problem during your stay, let us know so we can take care of it. I hope you give us another opportunity to accommodate your lodging needs in the future.
Karen and Staff

Reviewed 26 February 2014

First time visitors to the area and had no clue what to expect. Our first contact with Penelope over the phone removed any doubts that we chose the right place. She took extra time to give us virtual tour of the property then suggested a room that met our need but exceeded our expectations! Upon arrival Kylie was our greeter, front desk, and concierge all in one. She explained everything and we felt at home in minutes. Great little boutique hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your very nice comments. I will be sure to let Penelope and Calle know that you mentioned them by name. We hope you return soon.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I think how pleasant this hotel is, is highlighted by the fact that we had one of our worst ever (non) greetings when we arrived - and yet still we wanted to give Blue Dolphin Inn 5 stars. Most staff that we met were pleasant.

We had a two bed room, called Sea of Japan, with incredible ocean views, it was very comfortable, peaceful with a very nice bathroom.

We only stayed two nights but would have liked longer, and may well return as Cambria is stunning and Blue Dolphin Inn was a very nice base for our stay, near to Hurst Castle and the fascinating Elephant Seal Colony (4 miles north of Hurst Castle) which has to be seen (and smelt) to be believed.

2  Thank M&G_OnTheRoadAgain

First of all, thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear that you were not greeted appropriately at check in. It is our goal to welcome all of our guest as soon as they exit their vehicle or walk in to our lobby. I just wanted to let you know I am addressing this with the employee so that they know that this is unacceptable and will not be tolerated. I can assure you this will not happen again. We strive to provide a superior customer experience to each and every guest.
Thank you for staying with us. I thank you for your very generous overall “rating”